Sensor Dust on the M9

arminw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've discovered after a Photoshoot the other day that my sensor is full of dust, and I don't mean just a few spots here and there, but loads it took me 30 min alone to just clone it out . I m not sure how this could happen , but I think it must have come from a new 90mm lens that I bought second hand . After I used it for a while the sensor was literally covered in dust spots.

Today I tried to clean it and I followed the procedure by opening the shutter through the software within the M9 but after pressing the shutter release button the shutter actually didn't stay open ... it's impossible to expose the sensor to be cleaned . I had to use the B mode to keep the shutter open while the camera was recording... is there something wrong with that feature ? Could anybody else try on their M9 if the same problem consists or if it's just me?

Thanks to all ..

Armin

I don't have a M9 but on the M8 you must follow the steps slowly or the shutter won't open at all and you'll have to take the battery out to get the camera to function again.

First thing to do is make sure the shutter speed is set to A mode.

Then bring up the menu and select Sensor Cleaning (or whatever they call it on the M9). Then hit SET. Arrow over to YES and wait a second or 2. Hit SET again. Then there should be a message on the LCD saying "Press The Release Button". Press it and with that the shutter should open and stay open until you turn the camera off.

I suspect you aren't following the steps correctly and when you press the release button you are actuall just firing the shutter.

Oh and make sure you have a FULL battery.

As to the Leica M8 getting dust on the sensor. A lot of people noticed a lot of dust on there sensors straight out of the box with the M8 and for the first 1000 shots or so. It seemed the shutter was throwing oil all over the sensor making it worse. Maybe the M9 is similar and once you get past the first 1000 shot it will start to clear up.

Edited by Shootist

I've discovered after a Photoshoot the other day that my sensor is full of dust, and I don't mean just a few spots here and there, but loads it took me 30 min alone to just clone it out . I m not sure how this could happen , but I think it must have come from a new 90mm lens that I bought second hand . After I used it for a while the sensor was literally covered in dust spots.

Today I tried to clean it and I followed the procedure by opening the shutter through the software within the M9 but after pressing the shutter release button the shutter actually didn't stay open ... it's impossible to expose the sensor to be cleaned . I had to use the B mode to keep the shutter open while the camera was recording... is there something wrong with that feature ? Could anybody else try on their M9 if the same problem consists or if it's just me?

Thanks to all ..

Armin

HI There Armin

you need to use a fresh battery - if you don't, then it simply doesn't work. It should, of course, say that you need a fresh battery (but it doesn't).

As for the dust - I don't think I've ever had a new digital camera (without a dust buster) which didn't collect dust - they seem to settle down after a few weeks (my M9 has).

I hope this helps.

HI There Armin

you need to use a fresh battery - if you don't, then it simply doesn't work. It should, of course, say that you need a fresh battery (but it doesn't).

As for the dust - I don't think I've ever had a new digital camera (without a dust buster) which didn't collect dust - they seem to settle down after a few weeks (my M9 has).

I hope this helps.

Ahhh of course a newly charged battery would make sense and I have not tried that, although the battery I was using was still 2/3 charged ... confusing and indeed this should be mentioned .

I have have no problems doing the cleaning on my M8 and all works fine , that's why I was surprised to find it wasn't working on my M9 .

I hope you are right Jonoslack with the dust ... ;)

Ahhh of course a newly charged battery would make sense and I have not tried that, although the battery I was using was still 2/3 charged ... confusing and indeed this should be mentioned .

I have have no problems doing the cleaning on my M8 and all works fine , that's why I was surprised to find it wasn't working on my M9 .

I hope you are right Jonoslack with the dust ... ;)

HI there - it worked for me, by the end of the testing period the test camera had no more of a dust problem than the M8.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Armin,

Interesting discussion. According to the M9 manual, a warning should come on. The function is very similar to that of the M8. Possible bug?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks to all ..

Armin

Armin, I would strongly recommend that you do not use "B" to clean the sensor. Any function that keeps the shutter open requires power. You risk catastrophic damage to your shutter should it close while you have a foreign object inserted.

The manuals specifically warn you not to use this method to clean your sensor. That is why there is a detailed procedure to follow, complete with the display warning if there is insufficient power .

I tried mine just now; it functions exactly like my M8 cameras and does not require any special slow treatment .I just go to sensor cleaning in the menu, and hit "yes" immediately and the shutter opens. I might add that my sensor arrived pristine clean from the factory.

. I had to use the B mode to keep the shutter open while the camera was recording... Armin

From the 7/2007 LFI issue, p.50 article on M8 sensor cleaning..."Various cases at Leica Customer Service show that there are obviously some very clever camera buffs who made the fatal choice of cleaning their delicate bits with the shutter speed dial set to Bulb. Not a good idea." :eek:

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I tried mine just now; it functions exactly like my M8 cameras and does not require any special slow treatment .I just go to sensor cleaning in the menu, and hit "yes" immediately and the shutter opens. I might add that my sensor arrived pristine clean from the factory.

Hello Jaap,

Used the camera towards a blue sky and shoot some pictures, I am wondring if it is really clean??

And post please some pictures on the net without correction in photoshop.

All pictures what I see sofar from the M9 have dust spot all over it.

Theo

Theo

Funny, I had just the opposite experience :rolleyes:

I haven't had any problem with dust on the M9. I haven't had much dust problems on any digital cameras, thinking about it. My cameras doesn't seem to "collect dust" but where dust have appeared, it's been a single few grains and some have come and gone during a shoot (present in a series of pictures, then gone). I think I've cleaned the DMR sensor twice in a year.

I wonder how much temperature, humidity and what else is in the air influence this. You know, in some places you get electricity by touching the door handles and chairs, in others you never do. And then there's dry and dusty places like you find them in India where it just seem impossible to get clean space.

Hello Jaap,

Used the camera towards a blue sky and shoot some pictures, I am wondring if it is really clean??

And post please some pictures on the net without correction in photoshop.

Theo

Well, I used the inside of my bathroom door @ f16 -not one dust spot :) Mine came from a factory-sealed box. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I do not remember if the box of my M9 was factory sealed, but the sensor was completely covered with very small particles, only visible with f above F 8.0. And the only thing I had done, was put on the lens in the shop. The speckles are not caused by the lens, as the M9 with other lenses show the same little speckles. The rocket blower did not blow them off, so I have to think about anothert system.

If you really want to see the dust etc. on the sensor make a pinhole camera out of a body cap and aluminium foil and photograph a uniform sky or a clean white wall. Anything on the sensor is sharply rendered because the f ratio is of the order of f/150. Don't blame me though, if you can never get rid of all the dust you see :rolleyes:.

Bob.

I do not remember if the box of my M9 was factory sealed, but the sensor was completely covered with very small particles, only visible with f above F 8.0. And the only thing I had done, was put on the lens in the shop. The speckles are not caused by the lens, as the M9 with other lenses show the same little speckles. The rocket blower did not blow them off, so I have to think about anothert system.

Another system?

I've found the Arctic Butterfly to work really well with all my cameras. The M9 I'm using also came with a fair amount of dust, but it really did settle down after a few weeks

I have to say now that it all works fine and the shutter does stay open to be cleaned with sufficient battery power ... In retrospect I have been very silly doing the cleaning in B mode . Thanks for the warning guys and I will be wiser next time ...

Armin

Well, I used the inside of my bathroom door @ f16 -not one dust spot :) Mine came from a factory-sealed box. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Jaap,

Didn't Ffordes open the box to stamp the warranty card? I know that some Leica dealers like sending out sealed boxes but it is a bore having to send the warranty cards back for stamping. I wonder if it might be an idea for Leica to put the card in a stuck on plastic wallet on the outside of the box, so that you could have win-win. A stamped warranty card and a sealed box.

Given that the sensor is so much bigger compared to the shutter aperture, is sensor cleaning now a sweaty procedure, where the wand is getting very close to the shutter blades. Even in the M8, I have always been nervous about touching the shutter blades in error, with a slip of the fingers.

Wilson

Jono,

Firstly, I like your photo's, especially the English landscape pictures.

I was thinking about the butterfly, but hesistated because the little dots seem so sticky. Is the butterfly capable of getting rid of these very small, sticky particles? (Somewhere else I called my M9 already Youg Spotty).

Henk

Jono,

Firstly, I like your photo's, especially the English landscape pictures.

I was thinking about the butterfly, but hesistated because the little dots seem so sticky. Is the butterfly capable of getting rid of these very small, sticky particles? (Somewhere else I called my M9 already Youg Spotty).

Henk

HI Henk

Thanks for the kind words.

The Arctic butterfly has certainly done alright with me - I do, very occasionally use sensor swabs and eclipse (like once a year). The combination works well.

We have wood fires everywhere, so there is LOTS of dust around here. I still don't think it's too much of a problem.