So what about scratched M9 LCD screens?

BKK dan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As other users in here I may be obsessive regarding a scratched LCD screen.

I still think Leica made a mistake by offering a "cheaper" camera without the M8.2's LCD protection which leaves you without any worries.

With more and more M9s out in the field, does the camera's LCD screen protector seem to be of OK quality?

Or is it a total scratch-magnet that shouts for a 3rd party screen protector?

I know, the LCD cover doesn't affect imaging quality at all. Still.

(Haven't seen any sapphire 3rd party offerings yet ...)

No scratches after just over 2 weeks, which should tell you just about nothing. I think you are better off asking in the M8 forum, where there will be plenty of M8 owners with 3 year old LCDs. I have previously only had M8.2s, and while there were no scratches on those, they did crack after a drop which is much worse...

I still think Leica made a mistake by offering a "cheaper" camera without the M8.2's LCD protection which leaves you without any worries.

With more and more M9s out in the field, does the camera's LCD screen protector seem to be of OK quality?

Try a Giottos Aegis -- optical glass; 12 layers; nonreflective coating. Size SP8250.

All these 3rd party add-ons have drawbacks.

Those Giottos are difficult to remove, others glare.

Why not some innovation by Leica. The Canon 7D's new LCD cover is hardened glass.

If, I try to go with the original. Why having to spend a few dollars trying to protect some thousands of dollars?

Quote: Why having to spend a few dollars trying to protect some thousands of dollars?

Your question contains the answer. spend a few dollars to protect thousands. Sure, If Leica had provided sapphire for the M9, the discussion might be moot. But they didn't. I for one am not unhappy as it kept the cost of the M9 down, and I am therefore happy to spend a few dollars to protect the screen.

Perhaps the harder question is why Leica couldn't have gone the Canon route with an easily changed screen (my understanding is the screen on the 5D for example, if scratched, can be removed easily and a new one installed) (we are of course not talking about the screen but of the "glass" cover for the LCD screen).

Quote: Why having to spend a few dollars trying to protect some thousands of dollars?

Your question contains the answer. spend a few dollars to protect thousands. Sure, If Leica had provided sapphire for the M9, the discussion might be moot. But they didn't. I for one am not unhappy as it kept the cost of the M9 down, and I am therefore happy to spend a few dollars to protect the screen.

Perhaps the harder question is why Leica couldn't have gone the Canon route with an easily changed screen (my understanding is the screen on the 5D for example, if scratched, can be removed easily and a new one installed) (we are of course not talking about the screen but of the "glass" cover for the LCD screen).

I don't think a sapphire LCD wouldn't keep the cost down, it would keep the profit margin lower.

The price of FF sensors has come down drastically, and the new sensor is basically all that's new in the M9, beside the processing power.

An M9.2 will be offered at the same price as the M9, one guesses, as the price of the M8 and M8.2 was identical.

Leaving out the better protected LCD cover is therefore more of a marketing thing.

I asked for a sapphire glass upgrade for the M9, Leica support though answered that's "technically not possible."

Wonder what that means.

I asked for a sapphire glass upgrade for the M9, Leica support though answered that's "technically not possible."

Wonder what that means.

Hi Dan

I don't know, but I think I know the answer, having had both my M8s upgraded - they replace the whole plate, buttons and glass, not just the glass. This means that they would have to produce extra back plates, which are different from the M8 ones (ISO not Protect).

Presumably they don't have those extras . . . I bet they will in a few months though!

I have two m8 bodies, and over a period of more than two years managed to get one minor scratch on an LCD screen. The chrome on the top plate was visibly scuffed over the same period, the bottom plates seriously scuffed. I don't think the screen can be classified as a scratch magnet.

I have two early M8's. I don't abuse them, but neither do handle them with 'kid gloves.' They have to work for me. We (the cams & I) frequently go into unfriendly environments such as deserts, beaches, crowded lanes, darkened theatres, etc. In three years neither has a scratch or any visible mark on the LCD screen. My personal POV is that the sapphire screen would be a waste of my money. And if they did get a scratch I don't see any disadvantage.

P.S. I now have an M9. It will be used the same way, of course.

Edited by erl
Addition

Before I got my M8s I had a loaner. I scratched the screen the first day.

I use third-party protective films on my M8s and plan to use some sort of protector on my M9s.

Trim your finger nails shorter Noah! ;) Just joking.

ONE of my complaints on the M9 is the lack of the Sapphire glass screen. I think it was a bad move as this makes it a "non-perfect" digital M in my eyes. Adding the would of sapphire glass would of taken it one step closer to my perfect camera. The screen that is there now WILL scratch!

Thanks all for your feedback.

Some take better care of their cars, others not. Some try to keep the Leica body an as pristine as possible working tool, for others it's just a replaceable tool.

I trust Jono's insight that there's something on the way. I gather Leica received many complaints about the missing sapphire screen, so most probably they're working on something.

Funny thing is, if we'd have to pay a few hundred bucks more from the outset, nobody would have said anything, on the contrary people would have said: geez, great, just slightly more expensive than the M8s and full frame!

This kind of going for higher profit margin at the expense of quality still doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess I'm not the only one who would appreciate a signal by Leica that they're aware of the issue and working on it. All we got so far is "maybe in the future" ...

The time to 'jump for it' is now, if you can use it effectively now. The alternative of waiting 'till it gets better' is always in the future. My M9 without the sapphire screen takes much better pictures than yours with a sapphire screen, simply because yours is not available yet, and just may not be, but who knows. All I know is mine is here and now, and it's great.

All these 3rd party add-ons have drawbacks.

Those Giottos are difficult to remove.

That's a draw back? I have one... on my M8, had one since day one. One day when I was driving home, I had to do an emergancy stop... Camera rolled from the seat to the floor. When I picked it up the Giottos was cracked, but my screen was un-harmed. Giottos fell off in my hand... I replaced it the next day...

P.S. If you want to remove a Giottos, try a blow dryer...

AS Nikon and Canon have proved with the D3(x)/EOS 7, you don't have to have sapphire glass as the only alternative to polycarbonate. A hardened or tempered glass would provide much of the scratch resistance for a fraction of the cost.

Quite right Mark . . . but the plastic screen on the M8 and M9 seems to be pretty scratch resistant as well. The only scratch I ever got was using a leica leather strap (which has sharp metal studs half way up - and that also scratched the top plate). The sort of thing which is going to scratch the plastic is also going to scratch the camera.