Why Are There So Many Negative Thoughts About the X1?

Tenor1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A very high quality P&S is just the type of camera for me. I love my DL4 but wished it had a larger sensor. The M series is not for me but I don't feel the need to bash it any way.

Why is there a need to be so negative about this camera? There is no camera perfect for every person.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Price ......... people want a $700 Leica that is equal to the m8/9. It has point and shoot capabilities and these were stated at the launch, nothing wrong with a point and shoot with a manual over ride.

Edited by stnami

Thats a good question!......in my mind if your a Leica M user this is the perfect solution for a good small street or travel camera......small, quiet, and with a 35mm equivalent lens. When I first started using an M3 in the 1970's many street shooters had this combination with a 35mm lens as their only lens and they created great photos. If you bought an M camera today with a fast 35mm lens the lens alone would cost more than $2K. I don't think this camera is in the point and shoot category but I guess this comes from the same voices that try to compare Leica M cameras with SLR's.....they don't have the experience and knowledge to know the difference.

I can think of two possible reasons, polar opposites of each other:

1. The design of the camera is so obvious that it should have been done several years ago. Potential customer feels that Leica is boring him.

2. The design of the camera is beyond some people's ability to grasp. Potential customer feels that Leica should offer to send him back to school so he can appreciate all the design errors that could have been made, but were not (which is not to say that anyone believes it is entirely error-free).

I am not sure that "need" to be negative is quite the right term. I think is more a luxury born of having too much time on one's hands, and an attitute that thinks it is acceptable to dismiss other people's work before it has even arrived at a retail store. Of course, as someone who happily used an Olympus XA rangerfinder, with its f=2.8 35 mm lens, I may be prejudiced.

Edited by ceflynn

Thanks Stnami for the articles on Terry Richardson. It reminds me of when I had my first Leica, a Mini. I set it up on a tripod to take a choir picture in a large church. Some people laughed at me because the camera was so small. Later people could not get over what a nice picture came out of that little camera. The X1 reminds me of that camera with the exception that the Mini had a 28mm lens and a viewfinder.

I LOVED my old little Mini and hope to enjoy the X1 just as much!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Glad to read such good things ! ... I was asking myself the same question "why peoples have so much negatives thoughts about X1 ?" ...

Personnaly, when I see it, I said : whaaaao ! Finally a Leica for me, one I can buy ... a "real Leica" ! I own a D-LUX 4, and very satisfied with it, but would like to own another one, more "Leica" if you understand what I mean. I think X1 is the one I was waiting for : Leica design, assembled camera in Solms, image results (will see?), ... and "affordable".

I wish I could buy a M, even with a Summarit, price stopped me ! ... And I was talking about a M8, not M8.2 or M9.

So, I think Leica did what lots of people, like me, want to see them doing. Offer a good, quality alternative , Leica designed camera for less money.

Not sure about negative thoughts, but some people would have liked to have seen a bit more in terms of the design/specifications, myself included. However Leica have had to build down to a price level which they think the market will bear, hence the additional cost if you want an optical finder etc.

The ultimate decider will be image quality, particularly how the lens performs, and we need to await final production samples/test reports for that.

and

Thanks for the links, Imants. I had never heard of Terry Richardson (I guess I lead a sheltered life), but I can see his point. Especially for the social occasion shoots, he can get much more animated and relaxed looking shots with his non-intimidating camera. Plus the autofocus under those circumstances is a real asset.

Doug

There are many photographers the use P&S camera s for social/ celebrity occasions though not too many extend it into fashion shoots as Terry does. It is really not so unlike how many used small rangefinders in the 30s to 50s ..........the man sure gets off on struttin his stuff !

Edited by stnami

If you read the complaints on this forum about the m43 cameras it was:

1. No Optical RF

2. EVF not the equal of an OVF

3. AA Filter

4. CCD vs CMOS

5. Crop factor 2

6. Too expensive

Now Leica introduces a P&S priced at $2K with a CMOS sensor and probably an AA filter and no Optical RF, an LCD not equal to the EVF of the G1 or GH1 and just because the crop factor is 1.5 vs 2.0 it is suddenly a wonderful camera that can't use a single lens other than the one provided. Go figure.

suddenly a wonderful camera that can't use a single lens other than the one provided. Go figure.

John that is what original poster is saying ......most threads are negative about the camera except for the few that feel it is ideal for their needs. Not many are endeared by the camera as it is proposed of course the Leica nuts will buy it but that's because it is a Leica not for the camera's functionality.

Having owned a G1 and an E-P1 I can tell you that MF really requires a real viewfinder, either optical or electronic where one can see whether the image is in focus or not in addition to providing framing information. Had Leica provided such a viewfinder and allowed the use of MF lenses it would have had a runaway winner even at the very high price listed. Otherwise, a used M8 or better yet an RD-1 are much better buys. RD-1 prices have been as low as $1,200 and it is a very good camera up to about 1600 ISO with a nice large 1:1 viewfinder. Given that Leica have made OVF's for the CL (i.e. small) it should have been possible with the X1. This camera will have to be as fast as the Epson with better IQ to justify its price.

Otherwise, a used M8 or better yet an RD-1 are much better buys.
Better for who?

The X1 is a point and shoot type of camera so comparisons to the m8 and RD1 are somewhat misguided, this camera has auto capabilities the rangefinders don't. There are users who prefer auto focus in given situations or even in all situations and do not want a manual focusing camera be it a m8 nor RD1 or a m9.

Then we a have the Leica nut, pushing eighty failing eyesight can't focus properly ..... shove viewfinder on the X1 point and shoot

Edited by stnami

I don't want a manual focus camera or interchangeable lens, but would get an M8 or M9 if I did. The comparison I would like to see is to the new Sigma DP2.

John - I am courious as to which camera you preferred more between the G1 and EP-1.

Edited by Tenor1
made a spelling correction.