Agfa Scala in UK

ian moore

I may be a little slower on google, but still didnt take long to find:

processing in the UK, plus info about supply UK Agfa Scala Processing service

and a reputable mail order outlet in German who claim to sell it Agfa Scala 200x SW-Diafilm 135/36 5er Pack Fotos, Kameras, Fotozubehör, Objektive, Blitz, Stative, Drucker, Scanner, Video, Taschen, Filter, Speicherkarten, Filme, Akkus, Dia, Studio, Labor, Inkjet, Fotopapier, Tinte, Digital, Studiozubehör, Studiobl

I thought I saw a suggestion that it is to be made by a third party, but I cannot substantiate that at the moment, only came up with a dead link on this page: http://macodirect.de/agfa-scala-200x-13536br5-filme-p-146.html

If you like the "Scala look," you can process as a negative. Rodinal 1:25, 8.5 minutes, 65F (18C), assuming ISO 200 exposure. The dark tones tend to be well defined; useful for some images. Don't even think about using it for glamor shots, or your model will likely come after you with homicide in mind. OTOH it's great for "character" shots -- weather beaten faces and the like.

Although you may be able to find the odd couple of rolls of Agfa Scala, the only prolab doing the processing anywhere in the UK, went out of business several years ago; I believe at the time it went by the name of genesis lab, but my memory here is a little hazy- I did have a few rolls of Scala, but was in fact unable to find anyone to process them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried Fomapan R (available from Silverprint in the UK). I believe it is made in Poland. The problem is developing (unless you are diy) but there is one person who does it. Quite god results. Just noticed it is a Czech film and AGPhotographic say they are going to stock it, but again not sure about devloping.

Edited by paulpp

the only prolab doing the processing anywhere in the UK, went out of business several years ago; I believe at the time it went by the name of genesis lab

Yes, I think it was Primary Colour, a sister lab of Genesis, who last processed Scala. Genesis themselves are still going but Primary Colour was shut down two or three years ago. The previous lab that processed Scala for years was Joe's Basement, which certainly did go bust (though for reasons not related to the film processing business).

I might have a small number of rolls of Scala in the freezer. If anyone wants it they are welcome to it.

Edited by wattsy