How does upgrade guarantee extension work?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone clarify how the upgrade guarantee extension works. Is it tacked on to the end of the normal two year guarantee period or does it date from the upgrade. My M8 was purchased 25th January 2007 and upgrade completed 12th of November 2008 (although some discussion on that as it had to go back again for rangefinder to be re-adjusted). Does my guarantee run out 12 November 2009 or 25th of January 2010?

Wilson

From Leica's webpage on the upgrade (hope they don't mind) ....

Extra waranty cover

If the camera sent for upgrading is still under warranty, the latter will be extended by a full year for the whole camera, even if we upgrade only one element. If you send a M8 which is not under warranty anymore, we will give you one year warranty on the whole camera after upgrading.

To me the implication is that the original warranty will be extended by one year, this is stated similarly in the first paragraph ... The camera's warranty will also be extended by another year after an upgrade..

Looks like 25/1/2010 to me, Wilson.

Brian,

I too read that on their website. I should have been happier if it had been worded "one year extension from the expiry date of the original warranty." As it stands, it could be argued that it could read either way. I hope you are correct and I assume you are, otherwise someone with over a year to run on their original warranty would not gain at all. I bet if a huge number of sensors began to fail, some lawyer would argue that the extension runs from the upgrade date.

Wilson

Brian,

I too read that on their website. I should have been happier if it had been worded "one year extension from the expiry date of the original warranty." As it stands, it could be argued that it could read either way. I hope you are correct and I assume you are, otherwise someone with over a year to run on their original warranty would not gain at all. I bet if a huge number of sensors began to fail, some lawyer would argue that the extension runs from the upgrade date.

Wilson

Seems quite clear to me. To extend something means to add on to it.

At first Leica said they would give the owner a 1 year warranty from the time the updates were done. That is fine for a camera out of warranty but in actuality it could shorten the original warranty. That didn't go over well and Leica changed the wording and the meaning.

There were many posts on it when the updates were offficially announced.

Maybe Leica could of, should of, used the word "Increase" instead of extend for cameras that were still in the original warranty period. But in the end those 2 word mean the same thing. Haven't you seen the TV comercials for Extends, longer bigger.

If I say I'm going to "extend" your back deck by 4 feet you wouldn't expect to come home and fine the deck now only goes out 4 feet from your house. Or maybe you would. Let me know when you want the deck work done.