Biogon desintegrates

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the last three years I have been using a ZM Biogon 28/2.8 A superb lens, many say as good as the Leica equivalent. Well, not mechanically. Normally the only problem would be that the optical cell would unscrew itself from the mount periodically. No big deal, just tighten it up again. Older Biogons had a little locking screw.

It suddenly started misfocussing dramatically. I sent it to Will van Manen and he called me this morning: "Has it ever been focussing at all?" It turns out that the lens elements have worked themselves loose inside the lens without any reason. He has to take the whole optics to pieces and align and fasten all elements. I guess that is where the price difference comes from.:o

Still, it is the only one of my lenses that did this. The only other example I can recall is a Canon 560 (not mine!) that simply broke in two, and a Canon 300/4.0 that lost the little screws fixing the IS element under those circumstances.

For the last three years I have been using a ZM Biogon 28/2.8 A superb lens, many say as good as the Leica equivalent. Well, not mechanically. Normally the only problem would be that the optical cell would unscrew itself from the mount periodically. No big deal, just tighten it up again. Older Biogons had a little locking screw.

It suddenly started misfocussing dramatically. I sent it to Will van Manen and he called me this morning: "Has it ever been focussing at all?" It turns out that the lens elements have worked themselves loose inside the lens without any reason. He has to take the whole optics to pieces and align and fasten all elements. I guess that is where the price difference comes from.:o

Jaap,

My Summicron ASPH 28 has been 4 times at Solms to fix the front part which detaches from the rear part...

My 35 summicron V4 lens groupings wobbled in the focusing mount and the lens started coming apart. My 50 Summicron focusing mount wore unevenly and would bind and my 50 asph Summilux was not manufactured properly at the factory and would not focus properly on any body. Also my new 90 apo asph had a rough and tight focusing helix. If Leica can have problems then Zeiss can too.

My Summicron ASPH 28 has been 4 times at Solms to fix the front part which detaches from the rear part...

And I thought I had gotten a bad copy :rolleyes: -- mine went back twice. I now take care to not hold it at the lens hood when I mount or unmount it. So far this has helped.

And I thought I had gotten a bad copy :rolleyes: -- mine went back twice. I now take care to not hold it at the lens hood when I mount or unmount it. So far this has helped.

roey,

I've always done so, holding the lens at the mount side (bayonet), NEVER at the lens hood. For a wierd reason, after a few weeks using it, the front side dettached from the rear part. I keep my fingers crossed but I think they've found the problem because since October 2008, I have no more problems. :o