MP light meter. Problem?

rob_x2004

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Latest in the line of collapses in my MP, I can meter in soft light and everything is fine'ish' against a hand held.

Outside in the harsh I might get one or two meters of a blue sky that are reasonably accurate. After that outdoor exposures drift off the clock above 1/1000th f/16.

Returning to soft light meter is for example of even lit surface 1/8th f/1.6 incident f/3.6 reflected, f/5.6 MP meter

No low battery warning.

The soft answers are replace the battery and see if it makes a difference which is useless, I need fair warning otherwise I will run rolls through without noticing.

Im not interestied in hand metering all the time either.

Anyone got similar experience?

Leica have been into this camera three times already and it still has a number of incompetence in assembly/service problems.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this but this has been my experience also with a number of cameras. Mostly digital cameras. Multiple trips to get something fixed that shouldn't be broken and then have the camera returned with something else wrong that was not wrong when the camera first went in.

I am today getting my M7 back for the DX reader update and when I sent it in everything else was great. We'll see how it is now.

Leica service is some times great but most of the time it is far from perfect.

If you're in the states maybe you could invoke the Lemon Law and get a new camera.

That is actually what I did with the black M8 I had. It had been to leica 3 times to get the rangefinder vertical alignment adjusted, because it was out from the start and everytime I sent it in it came back the same way. You didn't notice it to much at distant objects but close up you got a double image. Making it very hard to get the correct focus. After the second trip I had a local Leica repair person adjust it so it was SPOT ON at close up but then it was out, way out, at farther out subjects and got worse the farther out you focused. I sent it back in with a clear discription of the problem and got the camera back 4 weeks later in the same shape as when I sent it in. OFF.

I then called the president of Leica USA and asked for a new camera. He sent me one.

I don't want to go into what problems the brand new camera had straight out of the box. But at least the vertical alignment was correct.

Good luck.

Latest in the line of collapses in my MP, I can meter in soft light and everything is fine'ish' against a hand held.

Outside in the harsh I might get one or two meters of a blue sky that are reasonably accurate. After that outdoor exposures drift off the clock above 1/1000th f/16.

Returning to soft light meter is for example of even lit surface 1/8th f/1.6 incident f/3.6 reflected, f/5.6 MP meter

No low battery warning.

The soft answers are replace the battery and see if it makes a difference which is useless, I need fair warning otherwise I will run rolls through without noticing.

Im not interestied in hand metering all the time either.

Anyone got similar experience?

Leica have been into this camera three times already and it still has a number of incompetence in assembly/service problems.

You certainly seem to be plagued with problems with your camera I do hope you get it rectified soon

Hey Rob --

I have read about your MP woes since you started writing about them, and I am impressed by your patience; the problems you've had would have me complaining to my seller until they were fixed. It seems to me you bought a lemon and I'd approach your seller about it and ask them to back up their sales. Your situation is so lame that I'd be talking about a replacement. All items manufactured will have exceptions to their normal quality standards; and your MP certainly falls below an acceptable quality/reliability level for a MP. For example, I have had 4 different MPs over the years and the beasts have been rock solid without exception; that's what you should expect, too.

All the best in getting this situation corrected.

Thomas

Thinking over your plight I think Leica should do the right thing and replace your camera. Lots of people testify to the wonders of the MP but that is all put in the shade if someone like yourself is experiencing so many problems. Replacing it would be excellent PR for Leica and show that they accept that even occasionally wonderful products can throw up a bad apple

• 11 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, macabrephotographer said:

i just purchased an mp 2 days ago and i think i have the same issue.   The center meeter circle disappears and no longer shows up until later exposures.  did it ever get resolved for you?   

Asking the OP would be like asking a hypochondriac to diagnose your cough, it will be bad news and you'd better write a will.

Don't assume something that looks similar is the same. Read the manual about how the meter works, make sure the correct batteries are in the camera and that the contacts are clean, make sure the contacts on the rear door are clean. And this may be teaching your granny to suck eggs and you know it, but the meter design is primitive in the scheme of things and it won't react in the same way a modern digital camera does, it's accuracy very much depends on what you meter from together with the intervention of the human brain. If this doesn't solve the problem it might be better to start a new thread for a fresh go at the issue.