recommend a first lens for the m8.2

khemani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello,

i'm getting a second hand m8.2, and was hoping i could get some advice on selecting my first lens.

i shoot primarily my family and friends at evening get togethers, days out at the park, that sort of thing. i'm coming from a background of using the nikon d700, which i used almost exclusively with their 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, and the leica d-lux 4, which has a 24-60mm f/2.0-2.8 (equivalent) lens.

my initial thoughts were towards the 35mm f/2 summicron asph, since it is darned close to a 50mm equivalent. but now i wonder whether i should get something wider so that it proves useful in more intimate settings.

i had an opportunity to play with the 16-18-21mm f/4 tri-elmar (equivalent to 21-24-27mm on the m8.2). i was concerned t hat it is not as fast as the 35mm f/2, but i was impressed with what the lens could do wide open (granted, i haven't had a chance to compare it with the 35mm f/2 yet).

anyhow, it got me thinking whether i should look at the 28-35-50mm f/4 (36-45-65mm equivalent).

it comes awfully close to covering the focal range i usually work in.

thanks!

-y

Funny, I am coming from a D700 and have a used M8 on the way. I got the 35mm f/2 Summicron and suspect I will be using it 80% of the time. However, a used CV15 Super Heliar came up for sale on a buy/sell forum so I couldn't pass it up - I think there will be times I would love to shoot with a wide on the M8, and this lens gets a great review in Reid Reviews, especially for the price (around $500). I also got a used 75mm Summicron since I love taking portraits and using the 90-120mm focal length range.

Peter

hello,

i'm getting a second hand m8.2, and was hoping i could get some advice on selecting my first lens.

i shoot primarily my family and friends at evening get togethers, days out at the park, that sort of thing. i'm coming from a background of using the nikon d700, which i used almost exclusively with their 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, and the leica d-lux 4, which has a 24-60mm f/2.0-2.8 (equivalent) lens.

my initial thoughts were towards the 35mm f/2 summicron asph, since it is darned close to a 50mm equivalent. but now i wonder whether i should get something wider so that it proves useful in more intimate settings.

i had an opportunity to play with the 16-18-21mm f/4 tri-elmar (equivalent to 21-24-27mm on the m8.2). i was concerned t hat it is not as fast as the 35mm f/2, but i was impressed with what the lens could do wide open (granted, i haven't had a chance to compare it with the 35mm f/2 yet).

anyhow, it got me thinking whether i should look at the 28-35-50mm f/4 (36-45-65mm equivalent).

it comes awfully close to covering the focal range i usually work in.

thanks!

-y

I have all the lenses you speak of. They are all tremendous lenses. However the lens I use most is a 24mm Lux which is not on your list. I hear that the 24mm elmarit is also excellent. For me the 24mm is as close to 35mm (Film format) as I like. I tried using a 28mm as a main lens for a time, but found it to confining.

I use both tri-elmars and the 24mm as my normal day kit. The 24mm is great for indoor impromptu shots, and the Tri-elmars are good for everything else. However you are correct that f4 is a limitation... Thats why I have the 24mm lux.

My night kit... thats a different story...

Welcome to the forum. Lens choice is very personal...not just focal length, but size, speed, contrast/rendering and the obvious cost issue. In addition, it's always good to select a lens with another potential lens in mind, so that the two eventually cover the range you want, without being too close together.

While the Tri-Elmar covers a terrific range given your needs, it's of course slower, and potentially bigger, than primes you're likely to consider. Starting with one prime lens might be a better way to go. Learn the camera and how to "see" with that lens until it becomes second nature, and by then you'll know better what's missing. RF photography is a different beast, so you might want to ease your way.

If you haven't seen the zillion positive recommendations on the forum, I suggest you subscribe to Sean Reid's reviews at http://reidreviews.com/reidreviews/. There is a very small annual fee, but it's well worth it, and you'll gain a wealth of information on loads of lenses.

Last, without knowing your budget, and depending if you want new or used, don't be afraid to consider the Summarit line. You can get a new 35 or 50 for about 60-65% of the cost of a new cron, with not much speed loss and still high quality. Likewise, the 28 elmarit is a small, cost-effective possibility, assuming you prefer high contrast.

Good luck. You really can't go wrong...although your wallet will empty over time just like the rest of ours.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I am also D700 convert, and one thing I can tell you is with RF, I used more wide angle and closer to the subject. With D700, I used to use 50-70 range but now I use 21-35 (converts to 28-50) range. Interesting, but true...

Just try with cheap(er) lens to test which FL works with M8.2 for you. You may find it different from what you use with you DSLR.

Hi,

welcome to the forum - I just started myself with a RF (8.2) and had a very similar problem. My (very subjective) recommendation is a 35 2.0 ASPH cron... I found one in a very good condition for half the price of a new one and it's the lens that I use 70% of the time.

I am not a flash-guy so I initially wanted to go for a 35 lux, but the deal that can be had with 'crons (ASPH) was just too good to pass up... given that I was in a buy-rush I also picked up a 50mm 1.5 Zeiss and a 28 2.8 ASPH Elmarit.

I mostly do street photography as well as friend / family get togethers... and I found that I haven't used the 28 for more than 2% os the time... it's a phantastic lens, but 2.8 is sometimes a tad slow for available-light photography given the M8 ISO limits and I just like the fact that I can see 'around' the framelines on the 35... it gives me more opportunities to frame the shots while being still 'wide' enough for my needs.

Off course, your milage may vary... but I'm thinking of returning the 28 and just keep the 35 and 50

The summicron 35 ASPH is a phenomenal piece... it's sharp corner to corner and gives a wonderful bokeh when wide open... it is my favorite lens (if you haven't picked that up yet :D) - having said that, the 50mm is 'equally' great... but being a 50 with a 1.33 crop it's perfect for portraits - not necessarily an all-day lens.

Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi folks,

thank you all for your replies.

to answer some of your questions, i am looking to purchase something used for between 1.5k and 3k US$ - preferably not more than $2k.

the 24mm f/2.8 asph and 28mm f/2.8 asph both look very interesting. but the 24mm is a quite a bit more.

jeff, you mentioned that the 28mm is contrasty. could you point me to images taken with this lens?

thanks!

-y

hi folks,

jeff, you mentioned that the 28mm is contrasty. could you point me to images taken with this lens?

thanks!

-y

I don't own the Elmarit...my 28 cron asph is one of my favorites, but I didn't recommend it as your first since I figured your budget was more constrained. Again, I strongly suggest you subscribe to Sean's site. You'll get all you need to know and see.

There are, however, lots of other sources of info. on the 28 elmarit. For one, you can try the search feature on this site. It will bring up tons of discussion on this little lens. Here's one free review that comes to mind...THE LEICA 28 ELMARIT ASPH REVIEW.

Jeff

Initially I bought two lenses with my M8, the 28 elmarit and the 50 cron. Two and a half years later I still have them both. It is said that the elmarit is contrasty, perhaps it is (very slightly) compared to the 28 cron. I also now have the 28 cron and use both, the elmarit is so tiny and sharp, as is the cron.

I also still use my 50 cron although I have the 50 lux which everyone raves about. For some reason, difficult to know, I am quite comfortable with the 50 cron.

Jeff

Initially I bought two lenses with my M8, the 28 elmarit and the 50 cron. Two and a half years later I still have them both. It is said that the elmarit is contrasty, perhaps it is (very slightly) compared to the 28 cron. I also now have the 28 cron and use both, the elmarit is so tiny and sharp, as is the cron.

I also still use my 50 cron although I have the 50 lux which everyone raves about. For some reason, difficult to know, I am quite comfortable with the 50 cron.

Jeff

hi jeff,

thanks for your input! when you say the 28 is contrasty (i've heard this several times now about this lens), could you share a sample photo or two?

thanks!

-y

I'm new to the 8.2 as well and also use the D700 with nikon and zeiss glass, now I love zeiss lens's and have bought the biagon 25/2.8 I also bought (with the camera) the leica cron 35 /2.0 which is the lens I have been using most. A voigtlander 50/1.5 which seems pretty good and lastly but not least a friend has sold me a 1960's canon 85/1.8 which I am told is very rare and a lovely lens. On the downside the 8.2 has had to go back to leica after 1 week due to faulty rangefinder (it is only 2 months old bought 2nd hand) so I am not impressed.

Personally I think the leica 35 will be the lens I use most and if I ever move to the M9 it will be very useful as well

hi jsrockit,

i would eventually like a 35mm f/2 and actually the leica 50mm f/1.4. but i'd like something wider for my first prime.

Then go for the 28 Elmarit. It is less expensive, light, compact, fast, sharp and could be all you need to enable you to gain experience with an M. Once you have clarified your need you can add a Summilux for really versatile low-light photography; possibly a 50mm. My 50 is part of the 28-35-50 TE which is a super travel lens, but I am waiting for a 50 Summilux after a long period of evaluating my requirement for candid indoors pictures.

hi jeff,

thanks for your input! when you say the 28 is contrasty (i've heard this several times now about this lens), could you share a sample photo or two?

thanks!

-y

It is said that it is a bit contrasty compared to the 28 cron, probably is, it has a lower maximum aperture. Anyway I've never considered it. Here's a sample, contrasty light.

Jeff

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

28 or even 24 I think is the best as first lens: with my M8, I discovered that 24 can be really a good choice for the kind of photo sitautions you quote; 24 Asph is an outstanding lens... and you can hope to find one (used but coded) in the price range you mention. But there is a significant difference in size between 24 and 28 Elmarit, and this can be a factor to consider : undoubtly 24 is someway bulky. I never tried the Tri-Elmar... but personally I have always found someway "strange" the 50 on M8: my idea is that if one starts with a 24 or 28 (f 2,8) the next choice could be a superluminous of 35 or 50... and CV has very interesting offers in that range (35 1,2 and 50 1,5 or even 1,1).

my local camera shop has a used 28 f/2.8 asph with 6 bit encoding in like new condition for $1435 - i'm going to pick that up on my way home!

thank you all for your help!

i picked up the lens, and it looks brand new! i'm excited to use it, but i am waiting for an e39 ir filter...