Leica M8u vs M8.2

jamriman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering if my M8u with shutter upgrade and framelines is the same as an M8.2. I know about the S mode and the saphire LCD. Is there any other advantage besides the black paint and black hot shoe? I got the black dot and camera leather covering also. Thanks. BTW like Tims bug? I think its pretty neat.

epsn9793.th.jpg

Edited by jamriman

The M8.2 was an M8 with a handful of upgraded parts - count them:

- Frame line masks

- Shutter

- LCD cover glass

- Vulcanite covering

- Shutter speed dial

- Hot shoe legend

- Painted covers

- Black Dot

If you ignore the cosmetics, an upgraded camera has the best of what the M8.2 has to offer; the upgrade process is useful because it forces Leica to take the camera through their current alignment and set up processes; the M8u is also good because it has the same shutter speed dial as the M9.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So by upgrading an M8 you lose you 1/8000th for a 1/4000th. Is that an 'upgrade'?

Also I never read up why leica had to go to half the shutter speed. was it to have a quieter shutter or?

To make the shutter quieter they used less force in the parts that drive the shutter recycling. This reduces the kinetic energy and the noise of the shutter re-cocking. The trade off is the reduction in the max shutter speed from 1/8000 to 1/4000 and the flash sync from 1/250 to 1/180.

Whether this constitutes an upgrade or not is a matter of personal preference. To me the answer was 'yes' so I had it done. I'm a lot more happy with my M8u as I now nail a lot more shots with longer exposures hand held than it did before the upgrade and that is way more important to me than retaining the 1/8000 shutter.

When I sent my M8 in for the upgrade in May I did not believe the M9 rumors, had I known the M9 was this close I'd have canceled and saved the money against an M9. But what is done is done and 20:20 hindsight is always perfect.

Carl

M8 vs M8.2: Take a BMW, put inside a smaller motor from a Volkswagen. Now it goes only 160 insteed of 230 km/h. Sure, it is less noisier. You also change the blue white BMW logo for an black white one, change window-glases and the leather on the seats. Everbody would pay 30 per cent more and buy the new, quieter and slower BMW, wouldn't they?

Edited by @bumac

M8 vs M8.2: Take a BMW, put inside a smaller motor from a Volkswagen. Now it goes only 160 insteed of 230 km/h. Sure, it is less noisier. You also change the blue white BMW logo for an black white one, change window-glases and the leather on the seats. Everbody would pay 30 per cent more and buy the new, quieter and slower BMW, wouldn't they?

You forgot to mention it handles better and thus results improves it's performance. In this case a sharper hand held shot at lower speeds. Simply a matter of choice.

Guest EarlBurrellPhoto

With an M8.2 you lose 1/4000 and gain S(tupid) Mode. With an M8.u you lose 1/4000 and gain 8s.

If someone buys a new M8.2 now intending to trade it for an M9 at some point, that S mode would probably be a better fit though ;)

With an M8.2 you lose 1/4000 and gain S(tupid) Mode. With an M8.u you lose 1/4000 and gain 8s.

If someone buys a new M8.2 now intending to trade it for an M9 at some point, that S mode would probably be a better fit though ;)

Not sure if your insinuating I am stupid, but I bought a used M8.2 for a price I hope to sell my M8u for. I pretty sure I can pull it off.

Guest EarlBurrellPhoto
Not sure if your insinuating I am stupid, but I bought a used M8.2 for a price I hope to sell my M8u for. I pretty sure I can pull it off.

Let's see...you get a full year of Leica factory warranty on an upgrade, and since they didn't start doing the upgrades in NA until the beginning of this year, that means some is still remaining. A used M8.2 would not have any factory warranty. I'm not insinuating anything, but it would seem like someone would have to really be into the M8.2's cosmetics to make such a move, even if it didn't cost anything. To each his own. It's all good.

There's also adjustment of the exposure compensation with the thumbwheel in the M8.2 I think.

Pete.

Just want to be sure about this. A M8u will NOT have the exposure comp using the 1/2 press and thumbwheel? If it does come with the upgrade, it would be a significant factor for me in going for it. Thanks...Peter

Let's see...you get a full year of Leica factory warranty on an upgrade, and since they didn't start doing the upgrades in NA until the beginning of this year, that means some is still remaining. A used M8.2 would not have any factory warranty. I'm not insinuating anything, but it would seem like someone would have to really be into the M8.2's cosmetics to make such a move, even if it didn't cost anything. To each his own. It's all good.

I hear ya. The M8.2 I got has some warranty left where mine has none. I gain the sapphire LCD, perhaps exposure control and better resale value, and yes cosmetics come into play. Honestly though I prefer black chrome.

There are plenty of demo M8.2s available now that come with at least a one-year warranty. These demo units often cost a bit more than used ones through private sales but if the warranty is worth a few hundred dollars more to you, the option is there.

Just want to be sure about this. A M8u will NOT have the exposure comp using the 1/2 press and thumbwheel? If it does come with the upgrade, it would be a significant factor for me in going for it. Thanks...Peter

Unfortunately that's correct, Peter, the M8u does not have exposure compensation via the thumbwheel.

Pete.