M9 Flash shoe slightly too small

vish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So it seems - my pocket wizards do not fit properly - they slide on most of the way, with difficulty, and enough to activate, but not quite all the way. Anyone else finding this?

M9 proving excellent in the field as a working camera - probably no surprise to some of you, but this is my first Leica - and despite the dodgy preview on screen, seems to come up trumps. But the flash shoe is slightly annoying. At least there's no danger of the PW slipping off.

I've noticed the back part of the pocketwizard foot sticks out abit on my M8, but it fires fine....make sure the locking ring on the PW is loose when putting on the trigger and tighten to secure it.

as long as the pocketwizard fires and is secure to the camera, both are doing what they should.

hope this helps.

I have had no problem with a viewfinder or with the SF 24 flash.

You say OR - how about AND ?

I still cannot figure out how I can have a 21mm finder permanently on it AND either a 12mm finder or a level or a flash or nothing.

I don't like to be forced to change and bother about everything else, when I have an idea.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rolu

I still cannot figure out how I can have a 21mm finder permanently on it AND either a 12mm finder or a level or a flash or nothing.

I don't like to be forced to change and bother about everything else, when I have an idea.

Any thoughts?

Maybe it's not the right camera for you?

Any thoughts?

If you want to use more than one accessory finder at a time, try one of these:

match Technical Services - Thumbs Up CSEP-4

An absolutely briliant product and improves the M9's handling as well.

Best,

Jan

The hot shoe on my M9 is definitely tighter than both my M8's. Tried several different flash and viewers. There was some variation between units, not un-enxpextedly. I seem to remember my M8's being tight when new, I think! I had a new car once. That was 'tight' for a while too. Now if I got a new.......... no, won't go there. :D

...........................I still cannot figure out how I can have a 21mm finder permanently on it AND either a 12mm finder or a level or a flash or nothing..................

It's the flash which is the difficulty. If you didn't need that you could use a "Thumbs Up" CSEP-4 which has two shoes for finders or a finder and a level.

Bob.

I think he means if you need so many auxiliary accessories like finders which you don't want to change, perhaps a TTL viewing system like an SLR or an EVF implementation like the GF-1 would suit your needs better.

Thanks!

I understand, but I find it a bit arrogant to tell me what I should use or not use,

even more, when he doesn't know my work.

If you want to use more than one accessory finder at a time, try one of these:

match Technical Services - Thumbs Up CSEP-4

An absolutely briliant product and improves the M9's handling as well.

Best,

Jan

It's the flash which is the difficulty. If you didn't need that you could use a "Thumbs Up" CSEP-4 which has two shoes for finders or a finder and a level.

Bob.

Thanks a lot, Jan and Bob !

That is really an option! - can use my cv 12mm and Lux21 w/out a hassle!

- No flash solution, but anyway, I don't like flashes so much, I'm more in available light, just want to try, maybe.

I cannot figure out why Leica doesn't provide a sync as in the M3.

Best

Edited by rolu

The accessory finder plus flash problem is a real one. There are lots of flashes that cover an angle wider than that of a 28mm lens, but you cannot use flash and an auxiliary finder at the same time on a Leica M9 (or M8, for that matter). And there's also bounce flash. Bounce with a 24mm lens? Forget it. Leica Camera have determined that using wide angle flash may be detrimental to your health. It will pollute your mind.

EVERY pro grade camera, and most decent 'amateur' system cameras, has a dedicated flash connection separate from the auxiliary shoe. PERIOD. -- The Leica M9 does not have one. -- Ergo ... Q.E.D.

Now even my old Olympus OM-4 had a five-pole system screw-in connector, for full TTL flash. But oh, that was in the 1980's, when we all used those silly electronic flashes. Now we have progressed to magnesium powder.

One simple solution, but one that Leica won't consider, is a 'system' shoe-to-flash cable like the Nikon SC ones, BUT with a finder shoe on top of the thingumajig that goes on the camera end. The thing would be useful even with longer focal lengths -- I use a Nikon cable for bounce with the SF24 D, with excellent results in rooms of decent size. But it would solve one of the most irritating shortcomings of the digital M without any need for even a minimal modification of the camera itself.

The problem with Leica is not really the N.I.H. syndrome (Not Invented Here) but the W.A.D.I.T.W. -- We've Always Done It That Way, for the company history does show a remarkable resistance even to in-house improvements, which have usually been tried in prototype a generation before they have been implemented in general production. That, Sirs, won't do in today's world.

The old man from the Age of Flashpowder (yes, really).

The problem with Leica is not really the N.I.H. syndrome (Not Invented Here) but the W.A.D.I.T.W. -- We've Always Done It That Way, for the company history does show a remarkable resistance even to in-house improvements, which have usually been tried in prototype a generation before they have been implemented in general production. That, Sirs, won't do in today's world.

The old man from the Age of Flashpowder (yes, really).

Older Ms had the flash connection, as they didn't have a hotshoe. So one cannot blame Leica of the W.A.D.I.T.W, but rather of I.W.C.S.W.F.W.H.B.U.B.- if we change something we forget what has been useful before. Every Visoflex-User would love to see the separate connections for flashes again - if he finds a flash with cable connection...