Kodak E200 pushed (vs. Provia 400)

Finnkare

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I normally prefer Kodak's slide films, but the E200 is quite expensive, especially when taking into account the developing costs; pushing costs extra. So Provia 400(x) kind of wins the price battle hands down, since both the roll price and the developing price is less. But what about the pictures? I'm talking about shooting @400 or @800 of course.

And can Provia be pushed to 1600? I suspect better than E200 anyway?

Any experience or comparisons?

I normally prefer Kodak's slide films, but the E200 is quite expensive, especially when taking into account the developing costs; pushing costs extra. So Provia 400(x) kind of wins the price battle hands down, since both the roll price and the developing price is less. But what about the pictures? I'm talking about shooting @400 or @800 of course.

And can Provia be pushed to 1600? I suspect better than E200 anyway?

Any experience or comparisons?

You get what you pay for or you accept the inferior. I don't believe anyone will come anywhere close to the images that Kodak achieved with Kodachrome II 25 asa. Everything else has been in it's shadow. People seem quite happy to put up with this as they have never experienced the real thing and with the advent of digital processes are never likely to so I am afraid everything else is a compromise. As far as Fuji film is concerned, fine if you like Japanese in your face colours personally I find them far too brash

Kenneth

I am not sure that discussing a film that hasn't been made for 20 odd years, at an ASA rating that is 16x lower than the base rating for one of the films in question, and processed in an entirely different manner is necessarily relevant ;)

As for colours of Fuji slide film, have you ever tried Astia? Nothing "in yer face" about those colours, which are beautifully natural.

I have never pushed slide film, but if I were going to, I would use one with a base rating as close to the speed I wanted.

Provia has far from "in your face colours" -- in fact it has a somewhat cold palette, tending towards blue, overall a very beautiful film. The technical notes (if I recall correctly) say it is Fuji's most pushable film, good up to 1600: "Excellent results in push-/pull processing for a wide range of exposures, from -1/2 (E.I.280) to +2 (E.I.1600) stops, and even up to +3 depending on the scene."

It is 'grainier' when pushed but is very pleasing -- to my eye, anyway. I shot it almost exclusively for some months about three years ago and only really switched because of the cost. I thought it was incredibly engineered film -- a kind of ultra-flexible colour Tri-X, almost. Buying online brings down the price significantly.

Since then I have shot Fuji Superia Xtra 400 and 800 almost exclusively. The 400 has a very pleasing grain (again, to my eye) and handles mixed lighting sources fantastically well. I love its colours and its hint of 'grittiness'. Fuji Press too, although I think that is probably discontinued: the last few times I have ordered it it's turned out to be Superia Xtra. I think many claimed that they were in any case the same film. Thank God for Japanese film, I say!

I indeed meant to compare fast color slide films. I have never really liked Fuji colors, except maybe for some industrial shots or Astia for people (as I've heared positive about it). So K25, Astia, Xtra and Press are kinda out of this competition.

I wonder if a skylight filter would help bringing the Provia pallette more pleasing for people pictures...

But this is painful for me, since I've shot both films at their nominal speed, and E200 really turns me on, whereas Provia does nothing special for me. So I'm very torn here, since I long for maximum speed also.

This is more or less a pointless post, but I'll make it anyway. I don't shoot much slide film, have never shot E200 (though have one roll of it) and only shot 1 roll of 400X (though have a second roll of that too). Both are known for the pushability as far as slides go. The roll of 400X I shot came out very nice. I'd not hesitate to use it at all if you want a 400 speed film. I'd also lean towards using it at 800 instead of E200 just because its naturally a faster film.

I normally tend towards Kodak color negative film over Fuji. I like what I get with it. But the Fuji 400X has something going for it.

400x shots