Collecting LEICA M9 sites

LUF Admin

Any sites with just straight up great photography from the M9? Like Alex Webb, David Alan Harvey level?

I did an M9 search on flickr while waiting for a connecting flight on assignment and out of nearly 10,000 images, only three spoke to me as being great Leica photography.

Any great PJ work with the M9 to be found?

you looked at 10,000 images? and you only found 3 that spoke to you about Leica photography??

what does this tell you? That the type of people who buy a Leica are in the main poor and mediocre photographers? That the M9 is just no good?

If I gave 100 rank amateurs a plastic Diana camera, and sent them off in a city to shoot 100 images each- I would be astounded to only find 3 really great 'Diana' images. i would expect at least 100 keepers from that lot of 10,000. The same for a pinhole camera.

If the M9 can only get 3 from 10,000 with leica 'magic'- and you are after leica 'magic- then you must conclude it is not the photographers- but the camera- and move on.

but then I have no idea what 'leica' magic could possibly be. To me a camera is a lens and a shutter. great photography has little do with cameras, and everything to do with users. I have never looked at a photo I liked and thought, 'oh, that is classic canon 5dMKiii', or 'this has that Nikon feel'- I just think- 'Oh wow that tree looks amazing'...

Edited by jaques

You left out who I gave as examples who have used Leica to make fantastic images, that is the magic I am talking about, I see none of that yet from M9 users.

you looked at 10,000 images? and you only found 3 that spoke to you about Leica photography??

what does this tell you? That the type of people who buy a Leica are in the main poor and mediocre photographers? That the M9 is just no good?

If I gave 100 rank amateurs a plastic Diana camera, and sent them off in a city to shoot 100 images each- I would be astounded to only find 3 really great 'Diana' images. i would expect at least 100 keepers from that lot of 10,000. The same for a pinhole camera.

If the M9 can only get 3 from 10,000 with leica 'magic'- and you are after leica 'magic- then you must conclude it is not the photographers- but the camera- and move on.

but then I have no idea what 'leica' magic could possibly be. To me a camera is a lens and a shutter. great photography has little do with cameras, and everything to do with users. I have never looked at a photo I liked and thought, 'oh, that is classic canon 5dMKiii', or 'this has that Nikon feel'- I just think- 'Oh wow that tree looks amazing'...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You left out who I gave as examples who have used Leica to make fantastic images, that is the magic I am talking about, I see none of that yet from M9 users.
Ahem - I remember a post of yours on RFF:o
For the past few months, I have seen little to no images from the M9 that say "Leica". This is what I have been looking for, nice wrap lighting
Edited by jaapv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

David Alan Harvey (Magnum Photographer, editor/publisher for BURN Magazine) is in Rio de Janeiro on assignment and commenting via twitter about his cameras and shoots.

For street shooting I usually just carry one camera and one lens,usually 35, but sometimes a 28.Working now with the D700 and testing the M9

davidalanharvey

For mag and ad work I shoot digi.Personal projects on film.Hv not found the perfect digi camera.Now wrking D700,M9,GF1.All good.All w flaws.

davidalanharvey

Use neg film all around.Best b&w. For digi, D700 great bt big, M9 slow data transfer,GF1 difficult daylight.Choose one? M9.Waiting speedup

davidalanharvey

GF1 difficult daylight cause hard to see screen whch is the viewfinder.M9 slow is in the shooting. Tk 6 pics fast & u suddenly hv no camera

davidalanharvey

Bold emphasis is mine.

Dancy: Hey, it was just the other day I was browsing over at pbase as a normal routine of lusting after more gear and to see the photos... your photos really stood out and I remember click after click with your name attached. You should definately be posting more here and share your interest. Love to see a website from you!

Pophoto

Dancy: Hey, it was just the other day I was browsing over at pbase as a normal routine of lusting after more gear and to see the photos... your photos really stood out and I remember click after click with your name attached. You should definately be posting more here and share your interest. Love to see a website from you!

Pophoto

Thank you Po-Ming

Dancy

Any sites with just straight up great photography from the M9? Like Alex Webb, David Alan Harvey level?

I did an M9 search on flickr while waiting for a connecting flight on assignment and out of nearly 10,000 images, only three spoke to me as being great Leica photography.

Any great PJ work with the M9 to be found?

The two photographers mention have very unique styles, especially Alex Webb. Harvey is a little more diversified in his shooting, IMO. I really like Webb's style in particular.

I think you are looking for a "style". Style, in itself, does not make "greal Leica Photography". I certainly believe there are many, many more great Leica photographers and Leica images in the world, of the same style, and with different shooting styles.

My two cents...

Jim

http://www.jimtrunck.com

Edited by JTrunck
spelling

Nothing fancy here, but since I've been with the M9 for a couple of months now, that's all I'm posting. Just so you know, I still need to trim down the contents... at some point. M9 starts with Paris and Brussels. Before that it's M6 and soviets (for the most part) and pinholes. Pix are lo-res of course, so you may not find them that helpful for tech. purposes. Anyway, here is the address:

http://www.fredclerc.com

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...