Collecting LEICA M9 sites

LUF Admin

Birgit,

make sure you upload on your site higher resolution images. At the moment only pixelate images are viewable. it is a pity, since they seem very nice.

Thank you for your advice dear Piero. I'm just not sure what resolution I should upload my images to my website. I don't want to slow down my website because of too large fils. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your advice dear Piero. I'm just not sure what resolution I should upload my images to my website. I don't want to slow down my website because of too large fils. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you upload via Aperture or iPhoto, make sure you place the high resolution in its library, it will upload the quantity of information necessary for correct displaying and nothing more (provided you do not allow downloading of files via web page).

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Piero

Birgit, I had the same reaction, your images all showed major artifacts (those rectangular like shapes in the background or solid grey areas of your images. This could be the result of too low a resolution when making them jpgs and setting them up for the web or it could be because you're heavily cropping the images initially and then enlarging the crops.

Assuming you're not cropping much and the images are pretty much as they come from the camera, I would think you could resize to the size you're using now (roughly 587x473) and convert to jpg using 80% qualiity which should result in file sizes of about 35kb each which is way small enough. I routinely make my web files 10x that size. In this day and age most people who would care have speedy broadband connections. It seems a shame to undervalue your work for the sake of the few who still have dialup connections.

If these images are just small areas of crop out of a much larger image then that would cause a similar problem and unfortunately that will leave you with these artifacts. You've spent far too much money on your camera to go this route with your images. If you find yourself consistently cropping to only a fraction of the original image, use a narrower angle lens or get closer to your subject.

All the best for your new camera!

Dear Piero and Eric,

Thank you both for your insight. Most of my photographs don't have hardly any cropping. I work with Lightroom. Then I import my images into iPhoto. And from iPhoto I bring them into iWeb. Maybe this isn't the best way to do things, but it works for me. I wasn't able to build my website with Lightroom. Somehow I couldn't make it work. Now I have to import my images in better resolution from LIghtroom into iPhoto. This will be my next project.

Thanks again,Bixi

• Like 1

Dear Piero and Eric,

..I work with Lightroom. Then I import my images into iPhoto. And from iPhoto I bring them into iWeb....

Thanks again,Bixi

when you export from Lr, make sure you are exporting full size Jpeg, 300 dpi, into the iPhoto library.

That's all.

Hi Anders, thanks for the link.

Modern Canon DSLR's have the following ISO increments; 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

All other settings are software manipulations of the results achieved at other ISO's and do not achieve the same DR or noise characteristics as the whole ISO steps.

I'll trust Sean Reid's comparison to the 5D Mark II moreso.

Andreas, I've only had my camera a few days and have just a handful of shots posted so far. I have a large sample shot available here from the M9 with the APO SUMMICRON 75 mm ASPH at minimum focus distance.

This is cropped but not resized and converted to a jpg for file size reasons.

It is a large file of 3MB but may be of interest. No words, just the best M9 review I can think of.

M9samplelarge.jpg photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com