Got M8 today, hot pixel :( Easy fix or return?

Btbowie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone,

So my M8 that Id been waiting on arrived this morning from NYC, bought from a reputable dealer, and I have the opportunity to return it within a week according to their policy. The gripe is, though this thing is pristine and I hate to return it, I found a hot pixel :( Its easily seen at 640+, basically thought Id pick your brains as to whether this is something I can get fixed even though I bought it used, out of warranty obviously, or better to return it? Ive seen similar threads regarding the banding problems, that doesnt seem to be a problem with mine, its just the one pixel, which creates the vertical line situation I saw some of you had experienced, though the threads I read, you're cameras were under warranty and were fixed or replaced, Im in a different boat, so I thought Id see if anyone could enlighten.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I attached a photo, test shot of a wall in my house, you can see the vertical line as well as the little red hot pixel, gets more pronounced as you zoom further in etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Btbowie

'Bargepoles' come to mind. Maybe that is why it was up for sale?

Actually it was explained as like new and operating 100% which for the most part it does, and looks new, but I dont know how in depth the retailer I bought it from tests each M8 that comes through as far as shooting test frames / zooming, etc etc. Theyre a reputable established Leica dealer so its not some shady place thats selling it lol, just wasnt sure if Leica NJ etc could fix it, or if it would cost an arm and a leg to do so, in which case Ill just return it.

Before you rush to return the camera..... Is there any warranty from the dealer? Even if not, if this is the only problem it might well be worth contacting Leica, as this is a very common M8 problem, and I believe that it is not a difficult fix. They may even be prepared to fix it at no-charge?

I've heard of quite a few digital 'M's' having this problem straight out of the box. (Mine included.) So you are quite likely to encounter it in another camera too.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Nicole

Thanks for the input! I did decide to go ahead and email Leica NJ...at the repair@leicacamerausa.com address, since I have 7 days to return it, I thought Id see if they would get back in time and what they had to say about it. Im guessing thats the best way to get in touch, my other M's havent been to Leica NJ etc, so Im just going by what the site contact info showed, if anyone knows someone I should shoot an email to instead let me know :)

Also, I know that a single hot pixel can show up even if I return it for another one, so Im hoping to avoid it and hopefully just get it fixed, since this will be my main production body now, Id like to not be without it as long as possible, and returning it means waiting for however long it takes to find a nice replacement, at least if Leica can remap it or swap the ccd, I know ill be getting it back working right, that would be ideal in this situation :)