Best companion for 35 Lux Asph on M9 ?

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The bad thing about the M9 is that my 60mm Hexanon becomes again ... a 60mm. It is no more that wonderful 80mm 1.2 lens.

Out of the fast lens options currently available : 75 Lux, 75 Cron, 85 Zeiss, 90 Apo, 90 Pre-Asph, which one is the best match for the 35mm Lux Asph in terms of signature/rendition ?

My goal is to stay with a 35 + (75/90) kit.

Hi Yanidel,

I have the same dilemna and you can see my post "M9 35 cron asph and then." on the same page.

I was wondering between 75 and 90 and taking into consideration the weight of the lens.

I know you like fast lenses and shoot wide open. (I love your work as I already wrote to you).

I really think that I will sell my 50 lux to buy a 75 or 90.

In your case, the 75 lux seems to be the solution but in Paris or France, I never saw one for sale.

I wouldn't purchase such a lens on the net.

I will be very interested in the answers you are going to get.

I am also planning to swap from 35 cron asph to 35 lux asap.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 90AA only has a glow when I *slightly* misfocus ;) Don't get me wrong, I love the lens to death, awesome boke, sharp sharp sharp, but the 35 Lux ASPH is significantly softer wide open, there is no mistaking that. It is not soft, that is not what I meant, but it is no APO competitor.

Hi Yanidel,

I have the same dilemna and you can see my post "M9 35 cron asph and then." on the same page.

I was wondering between 75 and 90 and taking into consideration the weight of the lens.

I know you like fast lenses and shoot wide open. (I love your work as I already wrote to you).

I really think that I will sell my 50 lux to buy a 75 or 90.

In your case, the 75 lux seems to be the solution but in Paris or France, I never saw one for sale.

I wouldn't purchase such a lens on the net.

I will be very interested in the answers you are going to get.

I am also planning to swap from 35 cron asph to 35 lux asap.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Salut Jean-Luc,

I had noticed your thread and I am sure we are quite a few in this situation ;)

Your plan to go from the 35 Cron to the Lux is a great choice. Make sure you get a well calibrated sample. I do agree that 35 and 50 are too close.

I am tempted by the 75 Lux but I have handled it and it is very big, kind of contradictory with owning a RF system. I used to own a 90mm pre-asph and sold it (I did not expect a M9 so quick), it was a great lens, but found it too long for the M8 and also a bit too big.

I owned the 75mm Summarit (which you are apparently looking at) but found it lacked character (too modern) though great sharpness and beautiful colors.

In the end, I might go 35 Lux, 60 hex and 90 Pre-asph for a while. The later is not such a big investment and I could substitue the 60mm and 90mm based on needs.

thanks all for the input, maybe here is a way around my problem.

I expect the 60mm to match the 50mm framelines of the M9 due to safety factor. Meaning I could also frame with the 75mm framelines when needed and then crop in post processing. The 18mp after crop would still leave me with a large file for printing. Would that have a significant impact on perspective or other aspects?

35 might suite fine with 75.. 75 cron looks too modern?
I also think the 75 goes really well with a 35. My copy of the 75 Summicron goes with both my 35 Summilux and Summicron ASPH lenses, it's not out of place with either to be honest. I think I may have a "gentle" 35mm Summicron ASPH ;).

i'm a big fan on the mandler lenses.

the 75 lux is one of the best.

i'd say do the 75 if you don't mind having a focal length so cloe to your hex.

also - id say keep the hex, keep your m8 as well and use the hex on it so you retain that focal lenght.

i'm going to keep a m8 for tele work, i.e. to stretch out my 75 lux, and 90 apo.

the 75 lux is a great lens, there's some good threads on rff that have lots of lux shots.

however i'm biased to the 75 lux because it has a longer focus throw, that makes it easier for me to shoot moving musicians on the stage easier. the 90 apo is a bit more chalanging to focus wide open than the 75 lux.

that's my 2c.

I like the 75 Summarit quite a bit.

With all respect I find the discussion about character of lenses a bit too much sometimes.

Personally I have no problem mixing images from different "character" lenses.

Just yesterday I shot several images with 75lux, 75 Summarit and 90Elmarit of the same subject at comparable f-stops and IMO the differences are not that big- I even doubt people could tell which image came from which lens.

The 90AA might be different with its extreme sharpnes-but I haver never used one so I cant judge.

For my part I really like the 75 Summarit, I can see any lack of character. If a lens is sharp, nice color rendering, nice bokeh thats all I need.

I like the hood of the Summarit compared to the sliding hoods of the 75lux and 90/2.8.

A sliding hood means you have to put the lens-cover on the lens all the time. With a solid hood a la Summarit the hood itself is very good protection for the glass.

The short focus thread mens fast focusing- I like that too.

Tom and I have had this discussion before but I don't like my 75 Summarit a whole lot. Mine seems to give me rather flat and tired looking images. I much prefer the images from my 90/2.8 final version Elmarit-M, which really sparkle. However the 90 Elmarit is not a lens with a glow like the 35 Lux, it is more of a super sharpie like the 50 Lux. I don't use a 75 enough to warrant upgrading to a 75 Summicron, which is probably what I should have bought in the first place but even second hand last year, they were expensive. With the advent of the M9, I would guess S/H 75 Cron prices will climb as well.

Wilson

i'm a big fan on the mandler lenses.

the 75 lux is one of the best.

i'd say do the 75 if you don't mind having a focal length so cloe to your hex.

also - id say keep the hex, keep your m8 as well and use the hex on it so you retain that focal lenght.

i'm going to keep a m8 for tele work, i.e. to stretch out my 75 lux, and 90 apo.

the 75 lux is a great lens, there's some good threads on rff that have lots of lux shots.

however i'm biased to the 75 lux because it has a longer focus throw, that makes it easier for me to shoot moving musicians on the stage easier. the 90 apo is a bit more chalanging to focus wide open than the 75 lux.

that's my 2c.

I have the 75 Lux, too, and love it (have also the R80Lux), but I find it still difficult to focus esp. in low light. I still hope I will learn it. Did you manage it at once? Any tips?

But it is no 75 but a 80 - 80,3 to be exact.

On the meter ring there is a mark "53", which is the amount in 1/10mm you have to add to the nominal focal length to get the real focal length.

---

To me the gap between my SXA 35 and the SX75 is a bit wide, so I must do something in the 50 range. (Maybe the OP has not this problem) But the bokeh of the modern 50s is too harsh and unpleasant for my taste. An old Nocti would be perfect fit, maybe, but a big lens again. I'm thinking about an old Summarit or Lux 1st version. Any ideas?

And speaking of character, I think the SXA 35 and 75 SX are for me a perfect fit, different generations, but similar pleasant rendering of OOF, which I find outstanding for an Asph35. So if you don't mind the size and the gap to the 35, the 75 (resp 80) Lux might be a fine choice.

Edited by rolu

To me the gap between my SXA 35 and the SX75 is a bit wide, so I must do something in the 50 range. (Maybe the OP has not this problem) But the bokeh of the modern 50s is too harsh and unpleasant for my taste. An old Nocti would be perfect fit, maybe, but a big lens again. I'm thinking about an old Summarit or Lux 1st version. Any ideas?

The Bokeh of the 50asphlux is not harsh at all. Indeed it is smoother than that of both the 50 Summicron and the Noctilux. It is sharp and contrasty though. Maybe the 50lux pre-asph could be a good choice for you?

If 2.8 is fine the 50/2.8 could be a good choice as well.

The Bokeh of the 50asphlux is not harsh at all. Indeed it is smoother than that of both the 50 Summicron and the Noctilux. It is sharp and contrasty though. Maybe the 50lux pre-asph could be a good choice for you?

If 2.8 is fine the 50/2.8 could be a good choice as well.

Maybe harsh is the wrong word. Look at the Nocti 0,95 portrait in the M9 broshure, great shot. The letters on the head guard in the OOF to me seem to be flickering. I saw some LuxA shots where this character has been there. Maybe I don't know enough about it or I just like the old lenses - and the SXA 35, which I find very special for the new ones.

The Lux pre asph might be the right one for me - do you know the 1. version?

I'd go for the 75 Summicron. From what I've read, it's the brother to the 50 Summilux ASPH in design and characteristics. It focuses closer than the 90 AA, so your largest magnification is actually better than the 90. You don't have quite as much reach, but it's probably not the end of the world. It's smaller and lighter than the 90 and has better close up performance.

I should say that I don't have the 75 or the 90. I use a 28 and 50...

Also, if you take a 10.3 mp crop from the center of an M9 picture, you should have almost the same photo as if you took it with the same lens on an M8.