M9: Which lens?

manilius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not only am I an amateur, but also a novice!

Been using an M8.2 with a 28mm Elmarit...

But just traded both in for an M9 (which I'm told should be available mid-October)...

I generally shoot reportage and landscapes... (I only want one lens by the way!)...

Should I get the 35mm Cron or go for the 35mm Lux?

Keep hearing about 'shift focus' issues on the Lux so I'm inclined to get the Cron... Then maybe when a new Lux comes out, trade my Cron in for that...

Sensible?

Many thanks!

Mark.

You should have kept the 28mm Elmarit.

What makes you say that? If he liked its FOV on the M8 he will need something more narrow on the M9.

A 35 Cron sounds like a good idea. Sure the Asph is very sharp, but I prefer the Version IV, known as the "Bokeh King".

The 35 Lux Asph is actually not as bad a lens as the forums might make you think. It is in fact a great lens, if you can get it to focus (mine has very little focus shift).

My Leica dealer has just been on the telephone...

He says Leica will 'calibrate' the Lux to the M9 so I shouldn't have any problems...

Still edging towards the Cron because of its lightness...

Then maybe trade up to a newly designed Lux in a few years (I'm told the Lux design maybe be due a refresh?)...

Keep the comments coming!

This whole thing is a learning curve to me!

He says Leica will 'calibrate' the Lux to the M9 so I shouldn't have any problems...

They ought to be calibrated out of the box, otherwise a trip to Solms will fix it. But that just means that wide open the focus will be spot on. What people have experienced (over and above the backfocussing wide open which I also had) is focus shift. It means the focus shifts backwards as you stop down. Something you cannot calibrate the camera to.

I say go for the 35 'lux ASPH. I prefer the more delicate rendering of the lux over the cron which i find a tad too contrasty. Bokeh is nicer in the lux than the cron too

If you ever need that extra stop the lux has it. you're stuck at f2.0 with the cron.

Given the choice between 35 crons, I'd look into the 35/2.0 pre-ASPH. Its lighter, more compact and less contrasty vs the 35/2.0 ASPH

Just my 2 pesos worth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys! Being very informative...

Probably 'calibrate' was the wrong description...

But there's some issue with the Lux and M9...

Anyway... My dealer said Leica will take care of it...

I'm thinking towards getting the Cron and then trading up for a Lux (both 35mm) when the new version comes on stream... Believe the current model is a fairly old design... And again according to my dealer a new one should be shipping sometime next year...

Depends on your needs. Do you need the better low-light ability? You had an F/2.8 Elmarit with your M8, did that work for you?

You might consider the 35 Summarit. It's small, light, still a bit faster than your Elmarit and from what I've seen has a great look. If you insist on waiting for a new version of the 35 Summilux, this might be a good option.

If you need the low-light performance, the 35 Summilux ASPH is hard to beat. Mine doesn't really have backfocus problems on any of the M8's I've used or on the M9. It was tack sharp on the M9 actually at all apertures from F/1.4 (where there would be no shift) through F/5.6.

I paid especially close attention to the middle apertures (F/2-F/5.6) where shift might be a problem, but those frames were very sharp.

Keep in mind a new 35 'Lux may be more expensive and larger. I have no plans to upgrade if a new one is introduced.

Edited by noah_addis
typo

But there's some issue with the Lux and M9...

Anyway... My dealer said Leica will take care of it...

I would be careful with such promises. Leica may not be able to "take care of it", just as they were unable to fix Tim Ashley's 35 Lux ASPH, as well as those of others. Many copies of the lens, but not all by far, suffer from focus shift, where the lens can be calibrated to focus correctly wide open, but then loses focus as you stop down to f/4 or so.

I would personally recommend NOT to get the 35 Lux ASPH unless you can test it before committing to it. Too many people have had bad experiences with this.

If you can test it, then put it on a tripod, focus on something easy, where you can also see in the results exactly where the focus is. Then make two photos at f/1.4 and f/4 and see if the focus is in the same place. If not, don't buy it.

Edited by carstenw

Focus shifting is a problem with very many very fast lenses, including SLR lenses like the 50 1.2 L from canon and others. The advantage is that you can focus stopped down and see the focus shift and compensate with a SLR, but that is kind of hard to do with a rangefinder.

I would be careful with such promises. Leica may not be able to "take care of it", just as they were unable to fix Tim Ashley's 35 Lux ASPH, as well as those of others. Many copies of the lens, but not all by far, suffer from focus shift, where the lens can be calibrated to focus correctly wide open, but then loses focus as you stop down to f/4 or so.{snipped}/quote]

Carsten--Tim's issues were simply not just lens related. Though I can't prove it, he very very likely had a sensor misalignment that made his 35 Lux unusable.

Remember, his shifted something like 12 feet at 30 feet distance. That's not focus shift: that's a defective product.

I've used a 35 Lux ASPH for 3 years now on my M8, my M6 and my M3. While it does focus shift slightly from 1.4 to f4, the focus point is never out of focus.

It could be, Jamie, it is a bit too late to know now, but there were a number of other reports of the same thing, and then there was the one I tested myself at my dealer's. There are definitely trouble-copies and good copies, even if not everyone (and I don't mean Tim here) has correctly diagnosed theirs, and one thing is for sure, Leica did not manage to fix the ones sent back. The best they could do is to place the focus wide open at the front of the DoF so that the focus shift had a better chance of moving inside the DoF region as you stop down. I am pretty sure that the tolerances required to make sure that every copy is good are just beyond Leica's current ability.

Having said that, a good copy is definitely worth the money and well worth having. It is just that testing is required to ensure that one gets such a good copy.

It could be, Jamie, it is a bit too late to know now, but there were a number of other reports of the same thing, and then there was the one I tested myself at my dealer's. There are definitely trouble-copies and good copies, even if not everyone (and I don't mean Tim here) has correctly diagnosed theirs, and one thing is for sure, Leica did not manage to fix the ones sent back. The best they could do is to place the focus wide open at the front of the DoF so that the focus shift had a better chance of moving inside the DoF region as you stop down. I am pretty sure that the tolerances required to make sure that every copy is good are just beyond Leica's current ability.

Having said that, a good copy is definitely worth the money and well worth having. It is just that testing is required to ensure that one gets such a good copy.

Couldn't agree more Carsten.

I do think Leica had teething problems though, with the fine adjust of the sensor that I bet they've got more nailed now than in 2006. Just my suspicion, since when my M8 original went in for a stuck pixel, Leica NJ told me they'd fixed the sensor to spec. within a three or four microns (far within their normal tolerances, according to Leica).

I also think they've gotten better at the digital tolerances on lenses too. My current (new-ish) Nocti 1.0 just doesn't exhibit much focus shift either on the m8, which is weird, since I expect it on a Nocti :) But it came back from Solms last year as sharp as I've ever seen a Nocti!

i have been using a 35 'lux asph since it came out and I expect it to be my primary lens on the M9 (when it comes...).

You can test the lens when you pick it up, so aside from the PITA, you don't have to live with a mal-adjusted lens.

However, if you don't need the stop, why spend the money? The 'cron is both smaller and lighter. I do need the stop, and look forward to combining that with the "extra stop" of forgiveness that Sean Reid says I will get.

There is a large number of users here who feel that the 35 and the 28 are the best lenses on FF Leica's. Both come in a 'cron.

Hello Mark,

I also sold my M8 and while I had it, I used the 28-cron, 50-lux, 35-cron (coded) and the 24-Elmarit. I loved the 28 & 50 whereas the other two fell short of my taste. Based on some initial reviews and posted files, I still like the 50-lux on the M9. However, I’m very tempted to hone in on the Nocti-95. The files posted here and elsewhere are simply phenomenal on the M9. Sure, it’s a huge investment but the set of four that I had, topped out to roughly the same amount.

Regards,

Edited by Daniel Ortego

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Mark,

I also sold my M8 and while I had it, I used the 28-cron, 50-lux, 35-cron (coded) and the 24-Elmarit. I loved the 28 & 50 whereas the other two fell short of my taste. Based on some initial reviews and posted files, I still like the 50-lux on the M9. However, I’m very tempted to hone in on the Nocti-95. The files posted here and elsewhere are simply phenomenal on the M9. Sure, it’s a huge investment but the set of four that I had, topped out to roughly the same amount.

Regards,

New Noctilux and M9:

Deir Mar Takla (Monastery Saint Takla) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

M9 first week festivity! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks.

If you like the 35mm view and you are shooting outdoor landscapes why do you need the summilux with f1.4? Would you not want greater depth of field thereby making the Summicron preferable? Also, isn't the M9 better at the higher ISO by 2 stops?

@ manilius

What you originally wrote i.e. novice and amateur and getting rid of the 28, suggests that a completely different choice might be more appropriate and more rewarding in the long run.

You should consider getting the 50 lux ASPH, a great performer AND a lens that will let you do much better portraits along with your stated interest in reportage which I assume have a human component.

In other words it's the best compromise for someone who wishes to have on lens. Granted we may now crop FF digital images without losing much definition, but even a 35 may seem to cover to much space for the "beginner" that you claim to be.