Epson V700 Scanner question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I have an Epson V700 scanner that I use for 35mm and 120 film.

I use Aperture and Nik software's Silver Efex pro.

When I scan black and white film, there are two choices - 8 and 16 bit, but when I import the files into aperture or Silver Efex pro, you cannot adjust the images. Even the literature with Silver Efex says something about having to use at least 24 bit images.

So what I have been doing is scanning the black and white film using the 24 bit COLOR setting, and then it works fine.

Is that a good fix, or is there a smarter way?

Thanks,

stephen.

I have a V750 and I think what you're doing should be fine. It's been a while since I scanned any B & W stuff but it seems to me I had to do something like this as well. I think the 24 bit colour scan just means that you're getting 8 bits per channel (red, green and blue). Since there is no colour in your B & W negative all that's going to happen is that you'll end up with a larger file with more detail...

Is your output set to TIF?

If not then and it is set to JPG then all you are getting is a 8bit file.

Just a thought, excuse me if I'm wrong.

I just tried it and scanned B&W from a V700 come in as GreyScale. SEP will not adjust file that are already greyscale. Go to Image/Mode and select RGB. then it will open and you can adjust the image with SEP.

But the question is. Since it already a B&W film image with film grain already present why would you want to use SEP to do any adjustments on it?????

stephen, I use an Epson 700 with great results. Do you use Vuescan as your scanning software? Vuescan affords a very significant improvement in the quality of the scan. It has presets for most 35 & 120 films. They are a good starting point. One can make fine adjustments, which can be saved. I scan my B&W films as 24 bit color & then bring them into Photoshop & do a B&W conversion. In this way, I can tweek the final neg. The files are saved as Tiffs so you can import them as 24 bit Tif files for use with your software.

I personally don't use any actions or presets or addins for LR or other programs. Once you workout the scanning process that provides the kind of information you want in the neg, it's off to the races with PS, which allows a much wider playing field & more elegant solutions, most of which are non-destructive. This allows one to come back to the files at any time to make the small adjustments as your skill increases and your aesthetic changes.

As a point of interest, I scan my negs to be rather flat, with as much detail as I can get. Once it's all available, I make the story come alive in PS, not the neg-scan. This preserves the original flat - scan & it's easy to revisit important images to learn more about how to improve/change the final product.

Shootist, I only use SEP for converting color to B&W, but I tried it with these files to see if it was only aperture that was not working, or if SEP would have the same problem to.

Do you mean that I can scan the negative using 16 bit greyscale (to save file space) and then change the image mode to RGB in aperture? Or is it better to scan the B&W neg in 24 bit RGB?

Roguewave, I mainly use aperture, and photoshop elements only if I need a little something special. This works for me. How do you get "flat" scans? That sounds good, then I can always bump up the contrast later. I've been using the epson scan software - silverfast SE seems to be a pain in the neck if I'm just going to do all the PP in Aperture anyway. Do you really think Vuescan will increase the quality of the scan to begin with?

Thanks for all your help,

Stephen

Shootist, I only use SEP for converting color to B&W, but I tried it with these files to see if it was only aperture that was not working, or if SEP would have the same problem to.

Do you mean that I can scan the negative using 16 bit greyscale (to save file space) and then change the image mode to RGB in aperture? Or is it better to scan the B&W neg in 24 bit RGB?

Roguewave, I mainly use aperture, and photoshop elements only if I need a little something special. This works for me. How do you get "flat" scans? That sounds good, then I can always bump up the contrast later. I've been using the epson scan software - silverfast SE seems to be a pain in the neck if I'm just going to do all the PP in Aperture anyway. Do you really think Vuescan will increase the quality of the scan to begin with?

Stephen

I have no idea about Aperture, never used it as I'm on a PC. But in PS you can change a scanned B&W TIF file that was tagged a Greyscale (which it is) to the RGB color space. Then SEP will work on that file.

If you can do the same, IE convert/tag the image as RGB it should do the same. SEP is looking for color images to convert to B&W (greyscale). I guess as long as it sees the RGB color space tag it will open the image.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your problem is likely with Aperture, and its not an 8-bit or 16-bit issue, it's an issue with black and white images under the latest (2.1.4) version of Aperture. I started a thread on this a while back: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-post-processing-forum/96660-aperture-problem-under-snow-leopard-anyone.html

Solution, for now, seems to be to roll back to the previous version of Aperture, or treat your black and white files as RGB. In my case, I've chosen to use Aperture 2.1.3, and hope that 2.1.5 solves this problem.

Jeff.

Stephen

I'd have to join the chorus of other forum mebers on this. Although Aperture is a fine program, it is not designed with your needs in mind. As far as workflow goes, everyone has "their" way. In the end, if you become serious about your work, you will need serious, professional tools. Photoshop & time on the road with it is the most essential tool. The longer one delays in learning it's secrets the more it distances you from serious work. The curve is steep, but easily traversed with some time & energy.

To answer the question about scanning; yes Vuescan makes ALL the difference in the world for negs. You can control almost every aspect of the scanning process & details. It's the reason to own a scanner. With the "flat", well detailed scan you won't just want to apply a curve or move a slider, you will want to "build" your image to your imagination. There's lot's of roads, but lazy is what lazy gets.Good luck. Ben

I just called apple tech support for Aperture, and they said that greyscale is not supported in Aperture. I told him that it used to work, and others have reinstalled the software with the previous version, and it worked again. They said, even if it works, or used to work, it is NOT a supported feature of aperture.

Stephen.