is it possible .....

rsolomon

Imagine leica producing a single camera body that had 2 offereings for the purchaser to choose from:

1. a fixed zoom lens - like the X1

2. an R mount mount bayonet - the new R solution

it would certainly save on r&d costs...

sorry but, if the camera is to be the same and given the smaller quantities shared by each model and the duplicated production lines, I do no think the fixed lens solution would really make for a cheaper one. A release button is too small a saving to be significant, but would ask for a different body,

Hmmm, guess it would be more simple just not to buy another lens, wouldn't it?

Just my 2(euro)cent of course.

....given the smaller quantities shared by each model and the duplicated production lines, I do no think the fixed lens solution would really make for a cheaper one. A release button is too small a saving to be significant, but would ask for a different body,

Hmmm, guess it would be more simple just not to buy another lens, wouldn't it?

Just my 2(euro)cent of course.

Im suggesting one production line, one camera body, with 2 versions...... like others in the manufacturing indusry do. i don;t know if this works for cameras but it does for cars, boats, software, and other products - thus the question.

The savings is in the R&D $$. Instead of designing the whole camera body only design the lens interface.There would be many shared parts.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im suggesting one production line, one camera body, with 2 versions...... like others in the manufacturing indusry do. i don;t know if this works for cameras but it does for cars, boats, software, and other products - thus the question.

The savings is in the R&D $$. Instead of designing the whole camera body only design the lens interface.There would be many shared parts.

One camera body? could be, something trivial like the hole for the lense release button could be filled if it were missing, but the lense is imo the biggest issue.

I'm no engineer and no camera designer, my domain is software not hardware, but imo this would ask for a special lense and mount assembly. I'm sure you do not expect they just glue the lense to the mount in a final production step... kidding of course, forgive me, but guess this is more direct in showing the issues involved. Besides different parts ask for a somewhat different production line too, and the lense assembly is not a minor one in this case.

Anyway, what could be the practical advantage of such a solution vs the equivalent standard camera+lense combo? In other words, why would somebody buy it?

Certainly not for versatility, could it be size and/or weight? not by definition.

Price? Guess it could reasonably sell if the savings were substantial, but I'm not sure where they could come from.

Point is that even in the best case, the same production line and a cost of the lense assembly level with the separate lense, would also make for the same production and final price.

Now, who would buy a crippled camera/lense for about the same price of the standard camera+lense combo? Just speaking for myself, I say I would definitely not.

Am I missing something?

Just speculations and opinions of course.

Edited by ASpes