My Leica M9 page is updated (hurray!)

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Finally got time to update my Leica M9 page with sample photos and the first of the hopefully many goodies.

Have a look and feel free to comment, criticize (ah, not really ;-), suggest ideas, share data and info.

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leica M9 Digital Rangefinder Camera

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thorsten,

Very nice photos and information. Thank you for posting this. I received my M9 today and have some questions for you or any of the other experts:

1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of shooting uncompressed DNG rather than compressed DNG?

2) Is the depth of field less for any given lens on the M9 as compared to the M8? For example, is the extremely narrow DOF on the Nocti 0.95 reduced more on the M9 than the M8?

Thanks,

Doug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great write-up and photos. And thanks for sharing some of your technique.

I can totally understand wanting the gray edition -- I actually prefer it too but I have an all-black on order simply because I believe I'll receive it sooner. But if people think the black is an older camera, wouldn't that give you an advantage in street photography because it might be a little less threatening to people?

Thorsten,

Very nice photos and information. Thank you for posting this. I received my M9 today and have some questions for you or any of the other experts:

1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of shooting uncompressed DNG rather than compressed DNG?

2) Is the depth of field less for any given lens on the M9 as compared to the M8? For example, is the extremely narrow DOF on the Nocti 0.95 reduced more on the M9 than the M8?

Thanks,

Doug

Wow, you're going to be busy today and in the coming weeks. It's like getting the first LEGO as I recall it :D

1) The exact advantages I'm not in on but I always shoot highest quality JPG, highest DNG, highest everything. I do that from the viewpoint that what we consider large files today, we will consider micro-files in 10 years. So I want the maximum quality and size stored for later use. It's like this: the price of 2GB drives are the same today as the 160MB drive I bought 5-6 years ago. And I also fill up 2GB drives as fast today as I used to fill 160MB drives 5-6 years ago.

2) The difference you will experience is like if you shoot a frame with the M9 and crop it 1.3. No other difference, but it may look as if different. There's also a technical side of it which LCT covered here in the forum in in the first days after the release of M9, in which he documents how focusing is easier and less critical with the M9.

Beautiful images, thanks for sharing.

In terms of color taming, some of them are still tilted towards the pinkish end of the spectrum; especially, for skin tones.

True, most of the on the site so far was processed via Lightroom and mostly increased slightly in exposure and increased in contrast to get towards the right look.

The M9 profile mentioned on the page helps skintones, but we still need the totally right profile to get the files we want :rolleyes:

Very nice and helpful. Made me change my order to grey!

Out of interest, I take it you never went down the M8 route?

All the best

M

No, for several reasons, and never really the crop factor. I think the main reason was (and is) that I get very enthusiastic with new cameras, but when announced months or years in advance, I lose interest and find other ways to achieve the result.

The other was that I went the DMR road when I had to decide which digital route to go from film. I had more R lenses, and the DMR image quality was very convincing.

But the M9 is the real deal, available, and I was ready to take on one more workflow.

On yes, and there was one more thing: The sound! I didn't like the sound of the M8. Big factor (no kidding).

Grey. Hmm, I want that too! :rolleyes:

It appears to me that your M9 images are sharper / more crisp while the DMR images show richer tones and smoother tonal transitions. Is this consistent with your own observation?

Not exactly. The DMR is definitely rich, fresh and very alive - I would almost say "sparkling and 3D" but for sharpness I think there is hardly any difference. Right now I'm using lenses onthe M9 from the 60'ies as that is what I got with my M4 set. The 50/2 (II) is actually quite good but the others seem a bit soft and dull for digital. So I'll be gearing up on newer M lenses.

On the DMR the 80/1.4 crown jewel of the R line is milky and soft fully open (but very 3D and detailed), but at 2.8 - 5.6 it's crisp and sharp (never go beyond f/5.6 on it as it would be a sin ;-). The 35-70/2.8 ASPH and APO is crisp and incredible sharp at 2.8 - and the point is that it shows on the DMR.

Nice to see the 21mm f/3.4 works on the M9.

On the M8 there was a recommendation to dial in -2 stops exposure compensation with that lens (which worked well in my experience). Do you have any comments on using the SA with the M9?

I've used external lightmeter to all my 21mm SA shots so far but it would be nice if I could use the lightmeter because it's a great lens for here-and-now shots due to the 90 angle and the fact that almost the whole field is sharp at f/3.4

Thorsten

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the M9. I have been debating whether I should invest $$$ in a M9 and your photos are pulling a credit card out of my wallet.

I look forward to future updates.

Cheers

mashu