I think I prefer the M8 to the M8.2 !!

Julian Thompson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 is not here yet, and my dealer has kindly sold my M8.2 and has leant me an M8 while I wait for it.

When I first shot a frame I was amazed at how noisy the camera is - a nice noise but compared to the M8.2 it's quite a lot louder.

However, over the weekend I've used the camera outdoors and we've had some lovely weather - it's been an absolute pleasure to use 1/6000 and 1/8000 speeds allowing me to shoot wide open on some of the faster lens settings.

A reality check for me is that I don't actually NEED the quiet shutter for what I do but I do use the faster shutter and put up with the extra bit of noise!!

I hope the M9's 80 ISO pull facility works as well!

Half wondering if I should try to find a new M8 somewhere and put the cash for the M9 towards a Nocti :-))

That's not a bad idea.:) I bought a new M8 in May for $3200 U.S. It was a killer deal, and I took advantage of the 50% upgrade discount and payed $1075 for the shutter, frame line, and saphire glass, bringing the total to about the same as a full retail price M8.

Of course now, a new M8 - you should be able to find one somewhere - and a good used one, will be even cheaper.

That the image quality is basically the same between the M8, 8.2, 9 has already been established on this forum (unless you need the resolution of 18mp).

A used M8 will be the "affordable" digital M for some time to come, hopefully keeping your investment safer. Get the Nocti. It will go UP in value, and you can always get a full frame M digital in the future.

Or, better yet, get the CV Nokton 35mm 1.2 (turns to 50mm on the 1.3 crop sensor of the M8) to get fun of the Nocti and save $9200 in the process.

Stephen.

Hey that's a great idea from an investment point of view. If you get a good deal on a used nocti it's unlikely to loose it's value. Sometimes it goes up in value. This might happen since the demand might go up since more people are buying M9's opening up a new market for lower priced M8's. It's all about how much you will use the nocti though. I'm holding on to mine no matter how much I need the funds for an M9. My M8u is hanging in there. For now. ;^)

From an investment point of view the Nocti is a winner. I paid £1800 for mine about a 18 months ago, and now look at the price....and I think it will go even higher.

I have had my M8 from new...and it aint being altered and it aint going anywhere.

I will probably get the M9 but not just yet.:rolleyes:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Half wondering if I should try to find a new M8 somewhere and put the cash for the M9 towards a Nocti :-))

No doubt that you'll end up with better images.

For my needs, two M8's are a much better option than one M9. Provides a second 'fixed lens' camera body and a backup camera enabling to work more quickly and with confidence.

Two weeks ago I'd have said the M9 was essential, but I need two and at £10k it's made me understand my needs better.

I agree that high shutter speed is a bigger plus than a more quiet camera. When Leica announced the shutter upgrade I passed because I felt the high speed shutter was a huge plus. I did upgrade to the new LCD cover and the new frame lines. I have decided that full frame with my lens set (built around my M7) is important. Since I can't swap lenses between the m8 and m9 because of the filters I am going to sell my m8 despite the fact that I put the sapphire glass and frame line upgrade money into it I am unlikely to get back. If you have been using the m8.2 you might appreciate not having to get used to the old frame lines. If you are interested in buying my camera, let me know. (The nocti works beautifully on the m8 by the way).

I have not upgraded my 2 year old (ex-Demo) M8; the reason is simple.

I'd rather put my money in glass than in camera improvements.

We all know that the cameras will fall in price as time goes on; so I have decided that I'll go for the "50/1.4 + ex-Demo M9 in a year or two" over the "get the M9 now and wish I had the 50/1.4".

Pity those with the financial resources to not have to make such decisions! Life must be boring. :-)

JohnS

<Quickly sticks pass book back under the bed>

Yikes.

:-)

There's always the 50 summilux! You can find good deals on Pre-Asph versions, and the asph is of course much cheaper than the noctilux. Unless you really need the difference between .95 and 1.4, you can really save the money there.

I definitely agree about the shutter speed. I opted for a used M8 instead of an 8.2 for just this reason. I do wish as well that the shutter was quieter, but since I have to choose one or the other, I'd definitely take the faster shutter speed over having to bring ND filters for all my lenses out during daylight.

The other upgrades are niceties - such as the sapphire glass and vulcanite. The frame line masks could be useful but if you get used to compensating with the original masks then it's not a huge issue... I haven't noticed drastically different compositions captured vs. seen through viewfinder. With the m8.2 you have to compensate as well, just the other direction.

All in all best spent on glass!

My M9 is not here yet, and my dealer has kindly sold my M8.2 and has leant me an M8 while I wait for it.

When I first shot a frame I was amazed at how noisy the camera is - a nice noise but compared to the M8.2 it's quite a lot louder.

However, over the weekend I've used the camera outdoors and we've had some lovely weather - it's been an absolute pleasure to use 1/6000 and 1/8000 speeds allowing me to shoot wide open on some of the faster lens settings.

A reality check for me is that I don't actually NEED the quiet shutter for what I do but I do use the faster shutter and put up with the extra bit of noise!!

I hope the M9's 80 ISO pull facility works as well!

Do you really need a Nocti, I have the M8 for two year now and an 1,4 apsh. 50 and there's nothing better than that. I shot with the Nocti for one day, but the 1,0 I could hardly ever use. 1,4 is a littel less, but a lot better to focus and handle and beautiful!

The main reason I prefer the 8 to the 8.2, is the shutter speed. The attached image was shot f4.0 @ 1/6000 w/ my 28mm Elmarit. Couldn't have got what I wanted w/ the 8.2 or even the 9.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I got my M8 in February this year. A demo-model for 2600 Euro. I have though a lot about getting a M8.2 or even wait for a new model... But than I thought, if I wait now, I'll wait forever for the "best solution" because something new will come out eventually.

So I decided to go for the M8. Not upgraded. I am just happy. The screen does not bother me a lot - I have the Digilux 2 and the Digilux 3, and the dealer told me, my M8 has the same screen. That's fine for me. I'd also rather put the money into a lens. Ahh, I invested in a Luigi-case, instead of a saphire-upgrade. The sound does also not bother me at all, and I like the 1/8000sec.

Now I just wait a bit, maybe two years or so and get a M9-demo for half the current price. Until than, I will work with the old classic M8 - isn't it nice to call it "Classic"...?

Edited by falkk

Frankly the so-called "upgrades" never got my heart to beating faster. I've always been happy with what I have. I've never even upgraded firmware past 1.201 because they didn't offer any advantage for my type of shooting.

I think that with the upgrades Leica responded to some requests and used those to generate some income.

The main reason I prefer the 8 to the 8.2, is the shutter speed. The attached image was shot f4.0 @ 1/6000 w/ my 28mm Elmarit. Couldn't have got what I wanted w/ the 8.2 or even the 9.

A simply fantastic shot, Peter.

I share the preference views expressed for the M8. I have learned to live with the framing and even like the sound of the shutter, much against my expectations.