Digilux 2 : replacing sensor before it fails?

dpitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a happy D2 user for a month now. :cool:

Just wondering how long my D2 will last.

The sensor of my D2 has never been replaced (sNr 3011xxxxx).

My biggest fear is that Leica will run out of sensors on the day I get the broken sensor symptom.

Will Leica replace the sensor free of charge if I send it in now, before it is broken?

Would you recommend sending it in? Or would you wait for the inevitable to happen?

I am a happy D2 user for a month now. :cool:

Just wondering how long my D2 will last.

My biggest fear is that Leica will run out of sensors on the day I get the broken sensor symptom.

Will Leica replace the sensor free of charge if I send it in now, before it is broken?

Would you recommend sending it in? Or would you wait for the inevitable to happen?

Apparently, all Digilux 2 with serial number starting with 30xxxxxx were produced with a new sensor, not the faulty one. So you should be fine!

I sent in one of my Digilux 2 a couple of months ago for some adjustments, and Leica changed the sensor even it had never failed.

My impression is that they change it when they see it, and the bill for work hours probably goes to Sony anyways.

But e-mail and ask Leica Customer Service at cs@leica-camera.com

Turnaround was around two weeks form mine.

I ...

Sorry but the #30*** serial is no guarantee for the sensor not to fail. Mine did.

Anyway this is a good question, I also have one last D/2 with its original sensor and working no problem, and funny as it would be, it's the oldest I had.

A few people reported they had the sensor replaced by default when their camera had to make its way to Solms for servicing on something else, but this is different from sending a fully working camera.

Guess [jrethorst] suggestion is best, just ask them.

Thank you all for the good advice.

As suggested i asked Leica, and I will post the answer as soon as I get it.

Thanks for your 'hospitality'. Owning a Digilux 2 feels like joining a club...

One thought that came up:

Since about half the threads in this forum are related to D2, wouldn 't it be a good idea to start a D2 forum?

Uhhh... there is a Digilux 2 forum.... I'm a member.... Or.... was I dreaming???:eek:

There's a D2 'group', not a forum. Group seems to be second-class, since you can't see it listed on the top page of the Digital Forum. That may be why it gets no traffic. Could the group be upgraded to a forum?

There's a D2 'group', not a forum. Group seems to be second-class, since you can't see it listed on the top page of the Digital Forum. That may be why it gets no traffic. Could the group be upgraded to a forum?

I agree! Having it listed in the top page like the M9, X1, M8 etc would be perfect and deserved!

I contacted Leica service and received this reply.

Michael

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Digilux 2 camera. Unfortunately with the sensor fault, there is no way of telling when or if the sensor will fail. You can send the camera in for a general service, however there is very little we can do with the sensor unless it is faulty. It might be advisable to leave it for now and if the sensor does ever fail then we will replace it free of charge.

We hope that this information has been of use to you, please do not hesitate to contact us with any further queries.

Kind regards

Charlotte Wells

Customer Service Department

Leica Camera Ltd / Davy Avenue / Knowlhill / Milton Keynes MK5 8LB / UK

Leica Camera AG / Email: service@leica-camera.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1908 256400 / Fax: +44 (0) 1908 671316