M9 image transfer - urgh :(

vish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9 is positively diabolical at transferring images to the Mac, so far. I don't have an SD card reader yet - no time, had to run off to a mate's wedding instead - so I've tried with the USB to Lightroom, and Lightroom never imports all the images. And under Mass Storage mode, the images simply refuse to copy over - spinning beachballs, etc.

Not very good for a 5 grand camera - not very good for any camera. Plenty of other bugs in the firmware too, but I would have thought that these are pretty basic things to get right in the main release.

Nice to use, though, battery has the suck however - hardly last any time at all.

Better get used to it, I spose :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I thoroughly agree, I hate this, just forced into it by lack of a reader. On Amazon now hunting one down. Normally use a Sandisk uber-fast Firewire reader so this is quite boring :)

But I'm still surprised at quite how unreliable and rubbish it is.

Perhaps a 1.0 firmware is on its way soon, mine says 0.9 something. Even copying the files dies halfway through.

Oh, I thoroughly agree, I hate this, just forced into it by lack of a reader. On Amazon now hunting one down. Normally use a Sandisk uber-fast Firewire reader so this is quite boring :)

But I'm still surprised at quite how unreliable and rubbish it is.

Perhaps a 1.0 firmware is on its way soon, mine says 0.9 something. Even copying the files dies halfway through.

There is a new, 1.002, firmware available. Has been since September 9 09.

Good point Steve.

LOL :) I'd better get on with it. The good news is that when I have nailed it, the image quality is actually frightening, and I mean that it's actually scaring me - there's too much detail, it's like having being transplanted with eagle's eyes, or having 20/10 vision or something.

i realize you were in a pinch, but i never ever directly connect my cameras to my computer for upload.

although the camera can transfer in this mode, it doesnt really work in the long run. its too taxing on the electronics of the camera and often causes corruption of the card. sometime the corruption shows up later.

that being said a card reader is small and fairly cheap. i carry 2 and 3 on long trips, as ive had the readers fail in the past.

best, melissa

I don't know why people think a $7,000 camera should work "just as well" as a point & shoot. All my friends with fancy sports cars seem to have many more problems than my friends with Hondas.

Wouldn't this be an equally valid statement: it's rubbish that anyone who spends $7,000 on a camera wouldn't have a $15 card reader handy? :)

Anyway, not picking on you Vish. I just hear this (and other similar statements) batted around a lot these days.

The images I'm seeing from the M9 don't scare me, per se, but they definitely make me want to receive mine faster! I'm particularly enamored with those taken with the 24 Summilux. Crap, I don't have that one yet...

No I've learnt never to use the camera as a transfer machine, it's slow, drains the battery, etc.

The reason I think the Leica should work is nothing to do with comparing it to a P&S, I didn't, I just think it should work, without pausing, stopping or breaking - it's a perfectly valid feature - suppose your card reader breaks or is lost? Happens. ;)

Anyway, I've found a reader so I'm using that now, but will be ordering a proper one later. Time to update the firmware - I expect that it's all been done in such a hurry that there was no time to ship it with the new firmware. (Still, it can never be Leica's fault, I'm discovering) :D

All my friends with fancy sports cars seem to have many more problems than my friends with Hondas.

You might be right on one point - when sports cars perform, they're pretty much at the top of their game...

Or... sports cars only go wrong when they get a good hammering, as they should do ;)

I am beginning to think that the usual suspects in this forum are just mere believers.

When someone reports a problem with a feature in the M9, these believers would sweep it underneath the rug and claim that they don't use that feature anyway. You are not a Leica lover --- you are ushering her into oblivion ... soooooon.

Or are you true supporters of the idea that Leica should produce high quality products and not slack off?

Selling a US$7000 camera as a 2nd generation digital product with a broken USB port is not just pushing out slackware but behaving like a second tier company. What digital camera have you bought lately produced in Japan that has a broken USB port? This is a really basic feature. Is anyone working in the quality control department? Or, are folks just not used to working in the summer?

Edited by arthury

Why should it work like those other cameras. The M9, or M8, is not a P&S or a Canon.

Then, it should work like a Piece of $7K Sh@t ? Sorry, I am beginning to be ticked off by your WTF attitude! Go blow it, man!

Edited by arthury