newly acquired lllc "K"

skip.fitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May i first say that i have never before owned a LeicaI but recently came into possession of a lllc "K" model with a f2 5cm Summicron in really good condition. It has been in a closet for an untold number of years and the shutter seem to stick at slower speeds. I live in the Northen Virginia/Washington D.C.area and am looking for a reliable repair facility. Any recommendations??

Also, my camera has a red ASA/DIN "reminder" in the take up spool/winder knob. I've seen photos of others on the net, but none quite like this. Was this normaL?

Welcome to the forum !!! Can you post some pics of your Leica ? I ask this because the film reminder in the knob is typical of Leica IIIf , not of Leica IIIc, and the IIIf did not exist in the "K" version... the film reminder of course could be a later modification: but, anyway, a "K" Leica is always an interesting item to see : we will be glad to see one here !!!

For the repair shop, of course I'm not the right person to give advice on USA... :): but keep in mind that a "K" is a rare and rather precious model, and is worth a first-class lab: I only can say that almost any American of this forum praises Don Goldberg as a top technician of old Leicas.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thanks for the pictures ! This is surely an item which is worth a close and deep expertise, for it is clearly a modified body, but a very very interesting one, provided it's original :

a) s/n belongs to 390001-397650 ...a series that is generally referred to as "IIIc - 1943-1946" : wartime, a complicated period in which Leicas were built in lot of variants.

B) in that numbering, many IIIc K do exist (I have evidence of 390042 - 390333 - 390639 - 391245....) in various finishings : black, chrome, grey, grey+chrome; and to complicate things... not all the Ks were engraved "K"

c) but what is sure is that none of them had, originally, the flash synchro ring around the time knob, nor the film reminder in the wind knob... thes are distinctive of postwar IIIfs

d) "K" stands for "Kugellager" (or, according to other "Kaltenfest") : shutter mounted on ball bearings : this is a feature that a close inspection can verify.

So, let me say, the problem is not only restoration: mainly, is to identify exactly which kind of camera is this : probably its right definition is "Wartime IIIc K modified to IIIf Black Dial" , but this, I repeat, ought to be better detailed: the shutter, expecially, has to be closely inspected to determine its age (there is a IIIc shutter, a IIIc K shutter, a IIIf shutter in 2 variants...).

BTW... many IIIc K had a "K" stamped on the shutter curtain... is it so in your item ? It's sufficient to remove the lens to verify.

The lens is, apparently, much less interesting than the body : a standard collapsible Summicron of 1953, its first year of production.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Luigi. There is no "K" on the shutter. That is the lens that was on the unit when i got it, but there werte three other lenses in the box along with it. Another 5cm f2 Summicron (# 1364979), a 3.5 cm f3.5 Summaron (# 888963), and a 5 cm f 3.5 Elmar (# 1243973). Anything among them seem correct?

Yes, surely the shutter has been worked on to add flash synchro... what would be very interesting is if it has maintained its "K" flavor... I do not know if it's possible... can be it has been substituted by a IIIf BD shutter... I notice that camera has been probably repainted, so as the s/n, but the "K" looks not re-enameled. The top is anyway a IIIc top.