M9 35 cron asph and then...

JLV

In your shoes, I would go for 21--35--90. 35 + 90 is the classical globetrotter combo, good for nearly everything. Or probably 24--35--90. I think 24 (or 25) is more useful than 21. Admittedly, I have a 18mm for the really tight spots or crazy perspectives ...

The Elmarit is a very good lens, which I have. And I do not reject the 75 out of ignorance because I own that too -- for the M8. The 90mm Summitar seems to be even better, however. And yes, selling your 50mm 'lux would be a mistake. 35 + 50 + 90, the M2 kit, has sometimes been called 'the Holy Trinity'.

The old man from the Age of the M2

So what you're asking is "Should I sell my 35 Cron ASPH".

My answer to that is.

If you bought it new you will never get close to what you paid for it.

If you sell it you will always miss having it.

On second look at your question I see you think the 50 is to close to the 35. So with that statement I'm not sure whether you are thinking about selling the 35 or the 50.

I will say this. The 50 Lux ASPH is the best lens ever made by any company ever, whether Leica can do better is doubtfull.

IMHO anyone that has a 50 Lux ASPH and sells it is very foolish.

At this time selling any Leica lens is not the best thing you can do. Unless you have 2 of the same focal length.

Do keep the 35 Cron ASPH, not so near to the 50 that you may think. Does depend of the way you are using it.

HCB did 35-5-90.

I do have a friend from Rapho who never went wider than 35 on his Leicas. You just has to step back does he says.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I certainly don't want to sell my 35 cron.(maybe for a new Lux if ever..)

The question is 75 or 90 and should I keep the 50 lux wich does great photos but I don(t like the ergonomy.(bought it new and the focusing ring is still stiff).

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Hi all,

I certainly don't want to sell my 35 cron.(maybe for a new Lux if ever..)

The question is 75 or 90 and should I keep the 50 lux wich does great photos but I don(t like the ergonomy.(bought it new and the focusing ring is still stiff).

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Like I said above "you would be foolish to sell the 50 Lux ASPH".

I've had one for 2 years now, chrome version, and use it all the time and the focusing ring is still a little stiff but not as stiff as when it was new. That is ok because the lens is that great. Maybe if you used it more it would loosen up more.

So yes keep the 50. Buy both the 75 and 90. And personally I'd buy the 75 Cron. I have one and it is second best to the 50 Lux ASPH. Never used the Summarit 75 so I have no opinion on that one.

I do agree the 35 is a bit close to the 50, a 24 0r 28 would do better. But when you want to have a small all-purpose lens handy in your bag, it is hard to imagine anything more suitable. And I agree about the 50 Summilux asph. Amazing - never sell.

If you enjoy wides, I feel the 21-35 gap is cavernous. 21 is an extreme wide and 35 is a mild wide which gives no room for the average wide effect which suits more images than either extreme IMO.

24/5 - 35 - 75 is pretty ideal, but with no internal framelines for 24mm, I shoot 28-35-50-90, but to be honest I could live without 50 & 90mm altogether and shoot the middle 35-75 combo.

I sold a 50 lux asph and did not feel it was a mistake really. I am just not a huge fan of 50mm, so got a planar instead as I did not ned the speed or desire the weight. Do you use your 50 lux a lot and enjoy this FL? is it an 'anchor FL' for you around which the rest of the kit falls, or is it the 35mm? For me it is 35mm, so everything fits around that.

If you do not need F2, I think the Summarit makes a lot more sense that a 75 cron at double the price. If you keep the 50 lux, an elmarit 90 makes more sense. Forget lens performance - there are plenty of amazing optics - and first choose the right FLs for your style.

If 35 is your anchor, I think 24/5 - 35 - 75 is as good as it gets if you dont want to carry every FL. If 50 is your anchor and you do not shoot wider than 35, 35 - 50 - 90 is great. Leaves room for adding a 24-28 later. I am a bit odd in that I shoot almost everything on 28 and 35mm and feel the two are spaced just nicely.

Edited by batmobile

75 summarit new or used 90 coded elmarit?

I have the 50 lux asph but think it is too close to the 35.

I feel also that if I sell it i will make a mistake...

Thanks for your input.

Jean-Luc

What focal lengths do you sue most on the M8? On film?

For me, and this will not be true for everyone, the most used focal lengths on the M9 are 35, 50 and 28 (in that order).

Cheers,

Hi Jaap, Batmobile and Sean,

On my M8, I use mostly the 35 and find it not wide enough and waited the M FF.

My anchor is definitively the 35 so I am keeping it as it will be my main lens.

The 50 lux is an amazing lens but I feel unconfortable using it!

I shoot mostly street photography and portraits.

I am very tempted towards the 75 summarit because it is small and light but am reluctant because I feel it would be a downgrading from 50 lux?

I would add in the best case a 21 or 24 later.

Thanks for taking time to help;)

All the best,

Jean-Luc

Hi Jaap, Batmobile and Sean,

On my M8, I use mostly the 35 and find it not wide enough and waited the M FF.

My anchor is definitively the 35 so I am keeping it as it will be my main lens.

The 50 lux is an amazing lens but I feel unconfortable using it!

I shoot mostly street photography and portraits.

I am very tempted towards the 75 summarit because it is small and light but am reluctant because I feel it would be a downgrading from 50 lux?

I would add in the best case a 21 or 24 later.

Thanks for taking time to help;)

All the best,

Jean-Luc

It is not strange that you feel uncomfortable with a 50 on the M8. It is a bit of a wishy-washy focal length equivalent, 67 mm. I'm sure it will quite different on the M9. I would, if I were you, keep the 50 and add some 90 lens. Maybe, as you are not so much inclined to the longer focal lengths, so would not use a 90 all the time, you could add an extra aspect, getting the 90 macro. The dual use of that lens would make it more functional one for you.

Edited by jaapv

Jean-Luc...different strokes for different folks...being comfortable with your choice is most important.

Having said that, I used the 28 cron asph, 35 cron asph and 50 (was cron, now lux asph) on film. And, interestingly, love all 3 on my M8.2, despite crop. The 28/50 is perfect 2 lens set, and 35 is perfect all-around carry one lens. If I decide at some point to go back to FF, then I'll still happily use all 3, just as in film days. (My 75 cron asph gets less use, but love it, too).

I love the 50 lux, and won't sell it...period. If the focus had been stiff (mine is fine), I would have sent it to Leica for adjustment rather than part with it. The IQ is special.

Jeff

Do keep the 35 Cron ASPH, not so near to the 50 that you may think. Does depend of the way you are using it.

HCB did 35-5-90.

I do have a friend from Rapho who never went wider than 35 on his Leicas. You just has to step back does he says.

edition :

HCB did 35-50-90.

I do have a friend from Rapho who never went wider than 35 on his Leicas. You just has to step back does he says

These choices of focal lengths are so personal, everybody has different preferences. My own choices for a two lens kit are 28 & 50, or 35 & 75, or 50 & 90. To my eye they all pair together very nicely for different shooting situations. For a three lens kit I add a 24 to the 35 & 75, or a 35 to the 50 & 90. If I had a 21 (don't like the focal length) I would add it to the 28 & 50. Don't sell anything!

you cant always step back... like when there is a wall or drop behind you, or a car, or a busy road, or people etc.

HC-B was shooting FF so his choice of 35-50 etc would mean 24/8 - 35 on the M8.

If you feel uncomfortable with the 50 1.4 for heavens sake get something else. Just because it is a great performer, you will otherwise sit there with a lens you dont get on with rather than one which has a negligibly lesser performance that you will! Most 75 Summarit users rave about them! Great lenses may be nice to have, but they don't make average images any better than average.

I shoot mainly Zeiss, but have a CV 35 PII as well. It performs less perfectly than my biogon 35, but is still very, very good. I shoot it when I want small and compact, because it makes for a small, light camera kit. I never look at the shots and say, "oh, if only I had another 5 lpmm 15 degs off axis I would have a good shot." I like its functionality for me for particular things and it does its job. A 75 Summarit that you will use is infinitely better than a 50 lux asph that you wont.

As for the 50 lux being a 'bla' FL on the M8 of about 67mm, why is this 'bla'? It is not at all, just that if your kit is such that this represents an odd intermediary it is understandable, but it is no more bla than any other FL in isolation if you think about it.Lots of people shoot 35 and 50 on FF, which has identical spacing as the same FLs on the M8 (obviously) only they represent different angles of view. A 28 and 50 on the M8 would make the same sense as a 35 and 75 on FF!