Is electronic triggering possible?

LCL999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When (if?) I get an M9 I would like to try wildlife photography where one sets up camera, movement detector, and possibly flash. This would require that the movement detector be able to trigger the camera. Is this possible with the M9? If so, how?

When (if?) I get an M9 I would like to try wildlife photography where one sets up camera, movement detector, and possibly flash. This would require that the movement detector be able to trigger the camera. Is this possible with the M9? If so, how?

You're going to leave your M9 in the field for days/weeks? I suspect the lack of seals that others complain about may be a problem for you.

c.

M9 does not have an electronic release port, unless something can be rigged through the USB connection. I guess a solenoid could be rigged to physically fire the shutter through the classic cable-release hole in the shutter button upon receiving a signal. At some point there was a picture floating around of M8s being used as housed traffic cameras (may have been a spoof).

I.E. probably possible with ingenuity, but not what the camera design is aimed at.

_________

Hah! Found it! Looks like a USB cord is connected: http://kronenhalle.wordpress.com/2007/09/27/leica-m8-speed-trap-mod/

Edited by adan

I agree with Andy, remotely triggered wildlife photography is not what any Leica M is aimed at.

I've done it using a Nikon for which you can buy a lead terminated in 4mm "banana" plugs to connect to your triggering box with separate connections to activate metering/autofocus and shutter.

It's a bit of a hassle though and you have to really want those images; trying to do it with an M9 is unlikely to make the job easier.

In the video that was posted about assembly of the M digitals one of the techs was firing the camera using a computer connected to the camera with a USB cable.

And IIRC the digital capture program that came with the original M8 could do this also, that is if you could get that program to run at all.

But you'd be better off getting a Canon or Nikon (or some other DSLR) to do this type of photography.

In the video that was posted about assembly of the M digitals one of the techs was firing the camera using a computer connected to the camera with a USB cable.

And IIRC the digital capture program that came with the original M8 could do this also, that is if you could get that program to run at all.

But you'd be better off getting a Canon or Nikon (or some other DSLR) to do this type of photography.

Depending on how long you're prepared to wait for the camera to wake up you'd also need a separate power source. The M8's (also presumably M9) current drain when active is quite high according to a thread by Mark Norton.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar