A Very English Race Day (& New Best Lens!)

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I spent a slug of today at Goodwood, a delightfully dotty collection of people in vintage clothing watching people driving and flying vintage vehicles. It was my M9's first really testing day out and I have a few observations:

* When you get it right, the files are really really great. Really great. On a 30 inch Apple display in Lightroom at fit to screen, they look more like my Phase One than my 5DII files.

* I had the ISO often set quite high so I could stop down for DOF on my 90mm F4 Macro and there are many files at ISO800 and 1000 which I think are really quite good with no special processing effort.

* Mild glitch #1 is that that 90mm Macro sometimes doesn't report in EXIF. I must check it's coding stripes for cleanliness and also ensure that it is always fully clicked into place when mounting.

* Mild glitch #2 is that my 28 Cron is still displaying weird focus issues that it never had on my M8. It focuses very accurately at one to three (-ish) metres but subjects at four through maybe seven or eight metres are very very often slightly OOF whereas the background is very sharp. This seems to happen at all apertures wide enough not to provide 'DOF rescue'. I will test further but it's annoying.

* Mild (but not surprising) glitch #3 is that there's a lot of moire going on especially on tweeds and silks, though I suspect quite easy to deal with of one needs to.

* LR renders M9 reds too pink, as it did with the M8.

* 50 lux continues to amaze with it's gorgeous mix of sharpness, micro contrast and bokeh.

* Great surprise is how useful the 90 Macro is. So many shots from today were really really nice and sharp, easy to focus, contrasty but detailed. It's such a small and light lens but a really good performer. One for everyone's travel bag.

* I really missed a 35mm. It would have been perfect today, but I didn't take my 35 Skopar because it has fuzzy edges on the M9 and is destined for sale. If there's a new 35 lux in the works, I'll have one.

There's a bunch of shots, including action/sports types and even Rowan Atkinson in a very unusual chair and Peter Mandelson imitating Winston Churchill (a thought to make the world shudder) here:

Zenfolio | Tim Ashley | Goodwood Revival 09

And here's one to be going on with!

Best

Tim

p602743939-5.jpg

Edited by tashley

...There's a bunch of shots, including action/sports types and even Rowan Atkinson in a very unusual chair and Peter Mandelson imitating Winston Churchill (a thought to make the world shudder) here:

Best

Tim

That guy with the Canon on #19 really looks envious...

My favourite is #2.

Goodwood is a great place to visit. I expect Rown Atkinson's insurers had their hearts in their mouths watching the stunt. Impressed Tim that you seem to be rubbing shoulders with the oleaginous unelected...

AFAIK, the macro Elmar is now only available new bundled with the macro adapter and marginally useful angle finder. I agree it's a good travel lens though I don't like the supplied hood with claws, preferring a simple 39mm screw-in hood.

I'll look forward to seeing more tests on the 28mm Summicron - it would be worth bracket focussing at the problem distances to see if the lens will focus at all. If not, that suggests some nasty lens/sensor interaction.

Thanks for the report Tim, some great photos, well done.

Interesting comments on the 28mm Summicron & M9 combo. I'm going to give mine a try this morning and see if there's anything going on. It was the first lens I tried on the M9 and never picked any issues up.

Interesting comments on the 28mm Summicron & M9 combo. I'm going to give mine a try this morning and see if there's anything going on. It was the first lens I tried on the M9 and never picked any issues up.

I'll be really interested to see what you find. I noticed this on a shot I took on my very first day with the M9 but have only tested it rigourously at short distances so today I will go longer and see what happens. Please see shot below as an example of what I am talking about.

...I'll look forward to seeing more tests on the 28mm Summicron - it would be worth bracket focussing at the problem distances to see if the lens will focus at all. If not, that suggests some nasty lens/sensor interaction.

Blimey Mark, how would that happen? Is it a known phenomenon with certain lens/camera combinations? I already have the proud reputation as the man who 'discovered' focus shift on the 38 Lux and Cron on the M8 and I am not sure I want a follow up act. The guys at GETdpi already think I'm the kiss of death to camera gear!

First the full frame of a shot in which, consciously trying to test this aspect of the lens' performance, I really tried very hard to get focus correct on the guy's sunglasses. Shutter speed was 1/500th. Followed by a 100% crop showing the background in sharp focus! Now if I do the same thing with any other lens I get perfect focus so I don't think it's me!

p796406963.jpg

p564363045.jpg

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p796406963.jpg

Certainly looks that way, the Goodwood sign is remarkably sharp.

Do you still have an M8.x to go back and check it?

Nope... I took it in to my dealer on the M9 launch day and got offered a very poor price for trade in but another customer in the shop took it off me for rather more! A bit less than I'd have got on eBay though. I felt like it worked well for both of us. But the 28 Cron was my favourite lens on the M8 and I felt it was the one that I got sharp results on the highest percent of the time.

Thanks Chaps!

I have to say that the only lens angst I had all day was when I saw a dude with a Nikon telephoto that was so large that you could have driven a motorbike through it rather than towards it...

Just think though, at the end of the day he was probably worn out from carrying that big lens and probably only took a third of the variety of images that you did.

"Small and sweet is such a treat" - great images and look like the M9 is living up to all expectations - congrats!

Tim - I would have liked to see the images but at a guess I'd say I'm the only one who got a black, blank page. Another wretched Flash issue perhaps - so many sites being ruined by Flash; including LUF.

............... Chris

Chris, I don't think that's the issue: Zenfolio uses Flash for some things but not for the pages I linked to here...