Leica M9 and 50mm Dual-Range 'Cron

carstenw

I have just tried to mount this lens to an M8.2 & an M9.

With the focus ring set to infinity:

The lens will not mount to either the M8.2 or the M9.

There is some sort of physical interference.

With the focus ring set to shortest normal focus, i.e. the stop tab at the distance pointer tab:

The lens will not mount to either the M8.2 or the M9.

There is some sort of physical interference.

After pulling out the focus ring and rotating it slightly counter clockwise, but not installing the viewfinder attcahment:

The lens will mount to either camera. After installing the viewfinder attachment the focus ring can be turned for close focusing.

Once the lens is mounted the focus ring can be set to normal range. However the focus ring can only be rotated a very slight amount clockwise before it meets with resistance. This is the same for each camera.

Although the lens can apparently be used on either of these cameras, for close focusing range only, I would not want to take a chance of damaging the camera by the use of this lens. Therefore, I will not ever again try to mount this lens to any M digital camera.

rdb.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for checking. Sounds pretty much like my DR Cron on my M8. I can also mount it set to about 1,20m, but cannot focus to infinity. What a shame. I felt like taking a dremel to the plastic in my M8, but I am not sure what I would destroy of what was underneath :)

Yes, I know that this can be done, but it seems a shame, and in any case, I am quite fond of the dual-range capability on my M6, so I won't cut it. I thought about trying to find a damaged regular Cron of similar vintage, because the optical element can be unscrewed. There are scratched numbers on each copy which indicate the exact focal length, so that the two pieces can be properly matched.

The problem with the dual range Summicron is that the close focus cam projects too far into the body. You can test this by putting the close focus goggles on the lens - the lens then mounts fine.

There are a number of people who can grind off the close focus cam to adapt it to the M8/m9 - but then the close focus range no longer works.

Leica made a non-DR version of the same lens that can be used without modification, but the urban legend is that the DRs were made to closer tolerances and got the pick of lens elements.

The best and secure way to use a DR Summicron is unscrewing its lens group and mount it on the SOMKY-UOORF accessory (that can be found with no too difficulty) : you obtain a combo that is simple to use as the DR Summicron and gives no problems with M8 - and focuses perfectly.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Luigi,

that device seems to have goggles? I actually mostly just want to use the 50 DR as a 50 Cron, so I think I will look for a rigid mount for the lens. Do you use your SOMKY-UOORF?

Yes, SOMKY is a goggle unit, optically identical to the one to be fitted on the 50 DR, UOORF locks the lens unit to the SOMKY (without it one can fit directly to SOMKY the Summicron 50 collapsible.. but anyone knows that uncollapsible Crons are better than collapsibles). Here are the devices :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And yes, I use it many times on M8... indeed, I keep the combo always assembled for I seldom use 50 on M8: is a very light device for "semi-macro"... many of the pictures of my Leica gear I posted in the historical section are taken with it: and being very easy to carry, I take it often with me on mountains :

btw... I used onto it the lens units of both my DR Summicron and a contemporary "standard" Summicron ... no difference at all... I agree with Jaap that DR "superiority" is someway a myth... I think that maybe the DR are all of the same focal length, while standards ones have the well known "variants" (51.4 52.2 or similar...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

The optical cell of the rigid Summicron is identical. That the DR was a selected lens is a nice myth, but still a myth.

I have that lens with both mounts. All the 3 parts (lens cell, rigid mount and DR mount) are carrying the same serial number.

Lucien

I have that lens with both mounts. All the 3 parts (lens cell, rigid mount and DR mount) are carrying the same serial number.

Lucien

...mmmhhh... you have a interesting collectible... can I ask you if in one (or both) the mounts the s/n is typwritten onto a small white adhesive label ?