M9 Availabilty - Solms?

gwelland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was just browsing the factory visit articles and the following crossed my mind:

So if you happen to visit the factory in Solms what would the chances be of buying a M9 (or any Leica lens/body) from the on site Leica Store? I.e. Picking up a camera right there & then.

Anyone know?

(not that I'm visiting anytime soon)

So is that the hint of experience?

Hmm, well I could fake the need to visit my customer in Walldorf (if you're in Heidelberg there's no surprise who THAT is) and maybe drive up the autobahn for a couple of hours ... there's a direct flight from Portland to Frankfurt too ... hmmm :)

Edited by gwelland

Hahaha. Graham, I'm in Heidelberg as I read your post, because I work for your customer in Walldorf, though I'm based in Palo Alto.

I've been to Solms on prior trips here; there is a Leica store there. It would be much more expensive, and you'd have to apply to get your VAT back upon leaving the country.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you're a company, all sale from any EU shop (including Leica's shop and repair department) would be invoiced exclusive German 19% VAT.

How it is for private tourists visiting and buying, I don't know.

The price in Euro ex VAT and American prices listed ex. local sales tax is the same price level.

So is that the hint of experience?

Hmm, well I could fake the need to visit my customer in Walldorf (if you're in Heidelberg there's no surprise who THAT is) and maybe drive up the autobahn for a couple of hours ... there's a direct flight from Portland to Frankfurt too ... hmmm :)

:cool: Gave them a call when I was still looking for one... - Nevertheless, I've found my M9 directly in Heidelberg on the 10th.

BTW, there's a direct flight from your Vancouver to Frankfurt; since couple of month, I can fly direct to Seattle to visit our partner company, I'm in charge of...

Let me know if you drop by!

Best regards,

Michael

Hahaha. Graham, I'm in Heidelberg as I read your post, because I work for your customer in Walldorf, though I'm based in Palo Alto.

I've been to Solms on prior trips here; there is a Leica store there. It would be much more expensive, and you'd have to apply to get your VAT back upon leaving the country.

Guess we form a perfect DUET then... ;)

Are you still in WDF next week? - Then lets catchup!

Best regards,

Michael

At one time, getting a VAT refund required not using the product while in Europe. I don't know if that is still the policy. How could you resist unpacking and using the M9 on the spot? Check before paying the extra 19% plus travel expenses.

You have to show the product and the receipt when exiting the EU, They don't care if the box is opened or not as long as the same product as you have a receipt for is inside the box.

And then you have the problem when arriving at your home country with a boxed (new) camera or empty boxes and their obvious content on your shoulder or whatever. Do you feel lucky? :rolleyes: Or will you have to cough up the import duties? :(

So do you discard the box and packing after getting the VAT refund and thus possibly damaging your later resale value? :o

Ahh decisions, decisions!

As Jaap said - if you do want to buy at Solms it would be almost essential to arrange it in advance.

And then you have the problem when arriving at your home country with a boxed (new) camera or empty boxes and their obvious content on your shoulder or whatever. Do you feel lucky? :rolleyes: Or will you have to cough up the import duties? :(

So do you discard the box and packing after getting the VAT refund and thus possibly damaging your later resale value? :o

Ahh decisions, decisions!

As Jaap said - if you do want to buy at Solms it would be almost essential to arrange it in advance.

The easiest is to do it the legal way. Pay import duties then you arrive in your home country.

The easiest is to do it the legal way. Pay import duties then you arrive in your home country.

agreed. You do not want to be caught.

BTW it also applies to items that are shipped into the US. Customs will notify your state tax people and they will pay you a visit. I speak from experience!

Oh, I just remembered one other gotcha.

Warranties tend to be region-specific. So you might find yourself in a situation where you _have_ to send it to Solms for any service due to the serial number (their export papers list each exported camera's serial number).