M9 - what lens will be hot/cold?

phovsho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FF will have implications for the go to lens on my camera. Which optics will be more popular and which will be less so?

In my case:

Welcome back 135 and 90 apos and 50/1.4A.

Most popular lens - 35 lux and cron

Less interesting - the super wides e.g., WATE, 21.

Sitting on the fence - 28 cron.

Which lenses do you see as the winners and losers from the release of the M9?

Best

M

Edited by phovsho

FF will have implications for the go to lens on my camera. Which optics will be more popular and which will be less so?

In my case:

Welcome back 135 and 90 apos and 50/1.4A.

Most popular lens - 35 lux and cron

Less interesting - the super wides e.g., WATE, 21.

Sitting on the fence - 28 cron.

Which lenses do you see as the winners and losers from the release of the M9?

Best

M

IMHO the 35s will be the 'hot' lenses on the M9, in the way that the 28s were for the M8. I suspect that the 75s will also become more popular.

I'm thinking of getting a Summarit 35mm because of its small size and light weight, possibly followed later by its 75mm sibling, and then maybe a 24/3.8 Elmar.

IMHO the 35s will be the 'hot' lenses on the M9, in the way that the 28s were for the M8. I suspect that the 75s will also become more popular.

I'm thinking of getting a Summarit 35mm because of its small size and light weight, possibly followed later by its 75mm sibling, and then maybe a 24/3.8 Elmar.

What John said. I think the 35s were/are the step-child with the M8. Lots of folks like me put away our 35s in favor of a 28 (which many of us had to buy).

Now we'll be back to the old classics... 35 and 50 will be the most popular.

The 35 summilux will be the hot lens followed by the 50 summilux asph due to FF. The Cuba images will also make the 35 summilux a favorite. The 28/2 will make a strong comeback as it becomes the standard wide angle....smaller,less expensive than the newer 21/24 lux lenses.

The 75 summicron will also become a favorite as you may want more reach with the FF FOV.

The prices have already adjusted by about 20% and the low cost deals are essentially gone. Should have bought at Christmas in the UK last year. Hindsight is painful .

What John said. I think the 35s were/are the step-child with the M8. Lots of folks like me put away our 35s in favor of a 28 (which many of us had to buy).

Now we'll be back to the old classics... 35 and 50 will be the most popular.

Well, it depends completely on which focal length you prefer. On FF, I love a good 50, but rarely touch my 35. On the M8 I barely ever used my 28 Cron, and pretty much only kept it in anticipation of the M9. On the other hand, the 35 Lux ASPH was my most used lens. I expect to switch completely to the 50 Lux ASPH for much of my photography, and for the 28 Cron to make a re-entry, but I am wondering if I should sell my 35 Lux ASPH. I will give it a chance before deciding, but I am already half decided, and given that it is a chrome edition with no focus shift, I know I can get a good price for it, which will help subsidize the M9.

Well my M6 kit was 35/2.5 and 50/1.1, but I sold the 35/2.5 to pay for a 35 Lux-R (for my R8) and have flip flopped again and sold my 35 Lux-R to buy a 35 Lux-M.

21/35/50/90 is what I'll likely go for (21 is ordered), I have a magnifier for the 50 that'll probably help with the 90 as well. Like so many others I don't feel much need for a 75 as I can just take two steps forward with the 50 - but I understand others wanting that focal length.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thinned my Leica lens herd down to the following for travel:

35 'cron

50 'cron

90 Elmarit

135 APO-Telyt

I now probably would look to add a wide 21 or 24 to round this out on FF.

On the M8 I was using WATE, 28 'cron & either 75 'cron or 90 Elmarit. I found my 50 'lux (and Nocti before it) not to be a comfortable focal length on the M8. I loved the 75 'cron and I can't fault it in any way performance-wise but I actually found myself preferring the longer reach of the 90 Elmarit for travel. The 90 'cron I had before I found too bulky for a small travel outfit. The 135 APO-Telyt was my occasional use super-tele but I didn't use it as much as the Elmarit on the M8. I've kept it for FF on the basis that what I preferred about the 90 will now appeal to the special capabilties of the 135.

On the M9 I would agree with others here that the 35/50 combo will be my most used lenses again. I have the lenses, now I just need my M9 to turn up! :rolleyes:

The 35 summilux will be the hot lens followed by the 50 summilux asph due to FF. The Cuba images will also make the 35 summilux a favorite. The 28/2 will make a strong comeback as it becomes the standard wide angle....smaller,less expensive than the newer 21/24 lux lenses.

The 75 summicron will also become a favorite as you may want more reach with the FF FOV.

The prices have already adjusted by about 20% and the low cost deals are essentially gone. Should have bought at Christmas in the UK last year. Hindsight is painful .

Which 35mm Summilux-M was the cuba shots made with?

And does anyone know the story on the different version 35mm lenses (Summicron and Summilux). It's like Summicron III and IV was hot, but I haven't been able to sort out which was, and why.

35 lux and 50 lux for street photo, 21 or 24 for landscape and architecture and 75 or 90 for portraits, fashion or weddings...

I have the 35 cron asph and the 50 lux.

Will get the 75 summarit or the 90 elmarit and asap a 21 or 24.

Will probably sell my 50.

Best combination for me would be 21/2.8, 35 lux,75 summarit.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

I only sold Leica Lenses once and I regretted it and will never do it again (Dual Range Summicron and 90mm Summicron). That being said, I held on to my 35mm Summicron V4. Canadian, and my 28mm Elmarit Canadian. At that time (mid 1990's) My tastes led me to medium format, so my Leica stuff collected dust until the M8 (my first digital camera). The M8 gave me what I loved in Medium Format (resolution and tone) but in the package I always loved (the classic M feeling).

So I began to rebuild my Lens collection, and adding some lenses I never had before, some at great expense. All I bought used of course, that is the only way I could afford an M8, and Leica Glass used is usually as good as new.

So I added the Noctilux (late 1990's), 90mmTele Elmarit, 135mm Elmarit with goggles, and the 290mm Telyt (I bought a used Visoflex 2 and 3, well before the M9 came to the market cheap!!!) and the 15mm Super Wide Heliar.

My feeling is ALL focal lengths will become popular. Why? Look at the Visoflex. There is no longer a crop factor on this, so you can use the whole viewfinder area of the Visoflex. I know it is not as fast as a DSLR, but the quality is rock solid, and the lenses are very sharp. Now lets go to the 90mm and 75mm lenses. We now can use bigger frame lines in the M9, and we have gotten back the ideal focal lengths for portraits. For those who cannot afford a Noctilux, but want affordable out of focus beautiful bokeh, these mid telephotos will be very attractive (I bought my 90mm Tele Elmarit for $240 USD on Ebay, a steal!!!). Now for the 50mm. It becomes the standard M lens again, and those of us who have used 35mm on the M8 to approximate the field of view of a true 50mm will welcome this. The Noctilux will be in its full frame glory!

The wide angles will also be what they were as well (the true attraction to the rangefinder). The 35mm will again be the "normal" street lens again, and the wide angles will get more coverage. The only problem lens could be the 15mm Super Wide Heliar, but this may be solved in firmware or post processing (the M8 could live on as a dedicated camera for the 15mm, something I just came to realize).

So my conclusion is there will not be a single lens that will be the most popular. There will be more demand for the 50mm and 35mm range, but all of these lenses will have more to offer.

The most popular will be the 21 Elmarit, 35 Summicrom Asph, 50 Summilux Asph and 90 Apo Summicron..

For those that want to carry a two lens kit - 28 Summicron and 75 Summicron.

The 135 Apo Telyt will pick up steam.

The 28-35-50 will be popular again so look for used prices on that lens to climb.

Edited by rsh

RE: original post - funny, 21mm was the main reason for me for getting the M9. If I didn't need 21 FoV (faster than f/4.5) I'd probably have upgraded M8s to quiet shutter and been fine for several more years.

I'm Thorsten-lite: 21/35/75 (keeping my 15 and 135 around because they're cheap thrills).

As I've mentioned on other threads, I think the 75 Summilux is going to be very hot as the fastest tele and having the tightest crop at minimum focus except the other 75 and the 90 Macro. Used Leica dealer Stan Tamarkin told me he has had more calls on 75 Summiluxes in the past week than in the previous 5 years (hmm - what new product appeared in the past week?)

It would not surprise me to see Leica catch on to this, and reintroduce a 75 f/1.4 redesign if the used market sells out. Of course the new one would likely be $7,995.

I have just bought a 11826 50 Summicron in anticipation of my M9 arriving. However, I suspect my travel kit may remain unchanged at a WATE + MATE + 35 Summilux in my Billingham and either a 90 or 75 packed in my case (where it usually stays).

Wilson

I'm not making any lens decisions until I get a chance to try out the new camera. As with the M8, a lot of deciding the go-to lens kit was through trial and error, experience, and contemplation.

On the M8, my go-to kit ended up being the 28 Summicron and the 50 Summilux ASPH, with the CV 15 sometimes thrown in. When I first started with the M8, I expected my favorites to be the 24 Elmarit and the 35 Summilux ASPH. I suspect on the M9 my favorites will be the 35 Summilux and the 75 Summicron, with a 24 (of some sort) thrown in, but I'll have to fire a few hundred shots to see if my suspicions are correct.

I imagine used lens opportunities will be very good over the next few months as people rethink their kits.