The M8.2 Arrived yesterday

guipani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took some close up's with the old Sigma 17-70.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Congrats on the new "machine", it is a great tool and well worth the wait as they have resolved many of the "glitches" from the original M8.

The improved finder frames and that hard LCD are a godsend and that coupled with the delayed rewing make it a great tool for street and inconspicuous work.

Enjoy your new camera and I look forwards to seeing some of your images soon.

Well; mine arrived this afternoon. And it seems perfect. Managed to nip out and fire off a few shots; not the best of days (thin - but solid - grey cloud cover) and no people or animals in sight. But was still fun to finally get to use what I'd been dreaming about for so long. Lots to learn. Lots to shoot. Can't wait.

Edit: Hmm... looks like one of the first things I have to learn is how to load photos here. 'Search' here I come...

Ordering my M8.2 in a little less than a week! I made the full Leica switch in a month's time, selling my old Canon equipment and purchasing an X1 and M8.2! Any thoughts on the 35mm Summarit lens I purchased guys? It seemed to me like a great all-arounder. Anyways, happy to say that I've finally joined the Leica family!

you guys will not be disappointed. i loved my m8.2 (and m8 when i had that one). I've switched to the m9 but I already miss the sapphire glass and (though I may be in the minority) I miss the battery indicator/shot count on the top. Sure there are other things that make up for this, but I'll miss the M8.2 (and the black dot!!! what a nice touch) if I can ever manage to sell it haha.

I peeked. That is how I know I'll be getting one. My wife and I got married 1 November in 08. We just spent all we could on the wedding, flying family in and all, so we promised each other a gift on our first anniversery.

She is a bird watcher and has always wanted a fine pair of optics, so I picked up a new pair of 8x50 Leitz for her. I think she peaked too. When I peaked I saw the ever amazing Leica box with the M8 on it. She sees me a lot with my old M2 and must have done some research. She loves a well equiped photographer.

So I imagine we both need to act suprised when we get our gifts, maybe even admit we peaked.... I won't speak up first.

One may think I got the better deal... I did, I got the most wonderful woman in the world.

Lee

I bought one from Ken Hansen a couple weeks ago. There is an adjustment period coming from a Nikon D2X. But I love the output and size, I just can't put it down. I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine. Cheers. -Norm

Took some close up's with the old Sigma 17-70.

Ordering my M8.2 in a little less than a week! I made the full Leica switch in a month's time, selling my old Canon equipment and purchasing an X1 and M8.2! Any thoughts on the 35mm Summarit lens I purchased guys? It seemed to me like a great all-arounder. Anyways, happy to say that I've finally joined the Leica family!

I got a 35mm Summarit earlier this week to use with my new M9 and am delighted with it - it handles very well and seems to be extremely sharp at all apertures - and for some reason the M9 seems to meter much more accurately with this lens than it did with a CV 35mm Ultron.

My only slight gripe is that the lens hood (which you have to buy separately) was rather loose even after I'd worked out how to mount it (it helps to read the instructions, which tell you to unscrew the front ring on the lens to reveal the thread onto which the hood screws...!) However, a little Blu-Tack on the mounting threads has tightened it up nicely.

On the M8 I found that the little CV 28mm f3.5 Color Skopar was the ideal 'standard' lens - I used it for about 95% of my work. On the smaller sensor it was pin-sharp right into the corners. It also showed good contrast, and didn't intrude into the viewfinder.

Edited by jlancasterd

Thanks for the input! It's down to either the 35mm Summarit or the 50mm Summicron. I'll make up my mind in the next few days and once I get my M, I'll post some pics!

I got a 35mm Summarit earlier this week to use with my new M9 and am delighted with it - it handles very well and seems to be extremely sharp at all apertures - and for some reason the M9 seems to meter much more accurately with this lens than it did with a CV 35mm Ultron.

My only slight gripe is that the lens hood (which you have to buy separately) was rather loose even after I'd worked out how to mount it (it helps to read the instructions, which tell you to unscrew the front ring on the lens to reveal the thread onto which the hood screws...!) However, a little Blu-Tack on the mounting threads has tightened it up nicely.

On the M8 I found that the little CV 28mm f3.5 Color Skopar was the ideal 'standard' lens - I used it for about 95% of my work. On the smaller sensor it was pin-sharp right into the corners. It also showed good contrast, and didn't intrude into the viewfinder.

Loose hood: I recently bought a hood for my 35 mm Summarit. Upon screwing the hood onto the lens and seeing that it was loose, my Leica dealer pulled out from a drawer a little box of extremely thin metal rings. He removed the rubber o-ring from the lens, put on two or three of these fine metal spacer rings over the thread on the lens and then the rubber o-ring back on top.

The lens hood afterwards locked into its end position perfectly without any play whatsoever. The fine spacer rings simply push the rubber o-ring up closer against the hood when the hood is screwed on. It's a matter of a few fractions of a millimetre, but that, it seems, is all that's needed for a secure fit. Perhaps you can go to your Leica dealer and ask them to do the same for you.