Signs of new Tri-Elmar

ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speculation:

1) Stefan Daniel interview. He's asked, "Do you think we will see a new 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar?" Response noncommittal, but along the line of, "Hmm. Makes sense now with a full-frame camera, doesn't it?"

2) Last couple shots at LuLa Michael Reichmann has identified as coming from M9 with Tri-Elmar, at least one of them at 28mm f.l.

This was a discovery/demonstration visit, sending photographers out shooting not yet publicly introduced M9s. Not likely that they loaned a visiting dignitary a lens that hasn't been available for a couple years, is it? (Possible that Reichmann has his own Tri-Elmar, but would you carry your own incense to Mecca?)

My bet is that a recomputed 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar is around the corner.

It would be really nice to see it back in the line up.

I tried one a few years back and really liked it. It's almost the perfect walk around lens for day time.

Used examples are difficult to find and of course aren't cheap.

I would seriously consider buying one of these, if it was put back in to production.

"Makes sense with a full frame camera"? It made a lot more sense with the M8 -- equivalent focal lengths 37--47--69mm, equal to a 35--70mm zoom -- than it does for full frame! Wide angle zooms did never make much sense, except for people in wheelchairs, as you can usually 'zoom' a prime with just a few steps forward or back. And yes, that goes for th WATE too. Especially as that lens is so miserably slow at changes of focal length, what with menu fiddling and little dials on the finder.

Just one 35mm lens is faster and more convenient that a MATE, and one 18mm than a WATE.

I wold prefer a 35mm even in a wheelchair. Especially a fast one. Both of them ...

The old man from the Age of the 3.5cm Elmar

I have a version 2 Tri Elmar. This lenses takes alot of criticism but as an al-rounder its a great lense. As each camera gets a stop faster its actually growing in its potential.

Remember at F4 it didn't stop you still wanting 3 fast primes. If Leica could make an F2 version would they be concerned that it may stop sales of three primes instead.

Theres no loss if they charge it out at three times the price. Just think about the marketing strategy versus the tremendous lense we could have. What are they waiting for?

Go look at available f:2 zooms. There are limits to the size of a lens to fit the M. Oh well, the optic could maybe we used with periscopes for the finder and the rangefinder ...

Be careful with your wishes. You may get what you wished for (though, admittedly, probably not in this case ...)

The old man from the Age of the 3.5cm Elmar

I find my V.2 is excellent on the M8, even if I have push the ISO to 320 occasionally. I tend to think that it serves me better than when I use it on my M6. Mechanically I can't see how Leica could possibly design a version at f/2.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speculation:

1) Stefan Daniel interview. He's asked, "Do you think we will see a new 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar?" Response noncommittal, but along the line of, "Hmm. Makes sense now with a full-frame camera, doesn't it?"

2) Last couple shots at LuLa Michael Reichmann has identified as coming from M9 with Tri-Elmar, at least one of them at 28mm f.l.

This was a discovery/demonstration visit, sending photographers out shooting not yet publicly introduced M9s. Not likely that they loaned a visiting dignitary a lens that hasn't been available for a couple years, is it? (Possible that Reichmann has his own Tri-Elmar, but would you carry your own incense to Mecca?)

My bet is that a recomputed 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar is around the corner.

I think he's got his own one.

Third last parapgraph

Besides, you may be on the proper track. Stefan Daniel has given some vague indications, too.

...Makes sense now with a full-frame camera, doesn't it?...

Sure it does. Adding a mere 90 would make a light traveling outfit for the M9. Now f/4 was too slow for my tastes. Wonder if a modern f/2.8 MATE could be made to same dimensions as the original one.

Phot--

BTW--Thanks for reminding me of that "second look." It gives some excellent examples for people wondering what some of the flaws of the early M8s looked like.

Regarding Reichmann, he's long been an M fan, but he has sold his M8 since writing that article. I think I remember someone, maybe him, saying in one of the interviews that he had brought some of his own lenses.

I love that lens and I hope Leica introduces a successor. But as I said, this is pure speculation.

Guest BigSplash
Personally, I'd rather see a "Duo-Elmarit" 35-75/2.8.

;)

The MATE is in my view the most useful lens that Leica has ever made and I tend to keep mine on the camera as the standard. On a M8 it is also excellent as the 50mm yields roughly 75mm ...superb for portraits.

It is nice and small to travel with.... I hope Leica do reintroduce it.

Agree, and I find it more useful on the M8 than on the M6 because of the slight tele effect at 50mm.

The MATE is in my view the most useful lens that Leica has ever made and I tend to keep mine on the camera as the standard. On a M8 it is also excellent as the 50mm yields roughly 75mm ...superb for portraits.

It is nice and small to travel with.... I hope Leica do reintroduce it.

Hmmm... I feel I created a bit of speculation. Let me clear up a few things.

I asked Stefan the question about reintroducing the MATE in the Q&A session. He said, "We'll try." I thought it a funny play on words as in "Try-Elmar."

Micheal owns this lens. No, he didn't bring it with him to Germany, but he did take his own lenses on a recent trip to Paris. If my memory serves me correctly, Michael borrowed a 21 Lux and 50 f/1 Noctilux (the old one) from Leica for the M9 test.

I took all my own lenses and only borrowed a universal viewfinder as I 1) had a good collection of glass to test with and 2) didn't want to carry too much more.

Incidentally, besides that comment in the Q&A, there was no other mention of the MATE on the rest of the trip.

Sorry to ruin the fun, guys. Let's see what happens.

David

Hmmm... I feel I created a bit of speculation.

Not at all, David. Your question, my speculation. :p

Leica was disappointed when their supplier discontinued the glass that made the formula possible. You suggested to Stefan that they might be interested in trying a redesign, something that has been mentioned many times previously on the Forum. There's interest.

Sorry to ruin the fun, guys.

The fun is just beginning. :D