M9 Pre-order requirements, Pay in full?

jdsvt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are most of the dealers asking for full price on pre-order? Or some percentage? I see a number of on-line dealers accepting pre-orders, but it looks like you have to go through the entire check out process, which basically means paying in full.

Thanks for any responses.

I preordered a Nikon D700 when it was new. My local dealer had a list in the order that people signed up, no money required, but I got put at the top of the list because I went ahead and prepaid. I got the first camera that came in, and I made them promise not to open the box and play with it. :)

I hope I am on the waiting list for an M9 at one store, but I'm not sure because they have not replied to my most recent e-mail asking where I stand. Meanwhile, I am keeping an eye on other stores' websites, just like everybody else I suppose. I would be willing to prepay if there was a reasonably firm delivery date. I have a like new M8.2 that I would like to trade in, but I will probably end up selling it on eBay.

Rocky

Are most of the dealers asking for full price on pre-order? Or some percentage? I see a number of on-line dealers accepting pre-orders, but it looks like you have to go through the entire check out process, which basically means paying in full.

Thanks for any responses.

500x_earlyadopt.jpg

A very incomplete diagram. I do not fit anywhere in that 'picture' yet I got the first one in this country, offered to me by the dealer, paid NO deposit and negotiated the price down to a point where we both agreed (below RRP).

Just trying to keep the FACTS up front.

You fall in the "brags about it" category I believe :D

I note your 'smiley' yanidel and I smile. Strictly speaking though, I was 'responding' to an erroneous (IMHO) post, not making my own declaration. I suppose some could see being '1st' as brag worthy however somebody has to be 'it' and I was in the right place at the right time, I assume. I separate 'stating a fact' and 'broadcasting' if you get my meaning. :D;)

I note your 'smiley' yanidel and I smile. Strictly speaking though, I was 'responding' to an erroneous (IMHO) post, not making my own declaration. I suppose some could see being '1st' as brag worthy however somebody has to be 'it' and I was in the right place at the right time, I assume. I separate 'stating a fact' and 'broadcasting' if you get my meaning. :D;)

I understood, I was just kidding. I just returned from a week in the UK, so I guess their special sense of humour tainted a bit on me.

This being said, I paid a 20% deposit and was first on a list (my dealer apparently did not accept pre-orders, too many people placing them at various shops just to make sure they got the very first ones). But no M9 yet ... it's ok ... the M8 still does wonders ;)

I certainly didn't either 'pre-order' or pay in full when I ordered, I didn't even put down a deposit. I rang my dealer the day before the launch and asked him to put in an order, which he didn't actually do until until the day of the launch. Even so, I got my camera on 15 September, in the colour I wanted (black). I paid in full on the day I collected it, less a considerable amount for trading in an M8 and several CV lenses.

My dealer did say that the Leica rep had let him have early delivery of this single camera because, as he said 'they (the staff at the dealer) were such nice people, who didn't try to twist his arm for priority deliveries or ask for unreasonable numbers'. Dealers who were demanding '50 - now!' were having to wait...

Politeness pays...!

John.

I agree with you that there's a lot to be said for doing business the old fashioned way with politeness and common decency. I think it's also important to maintain relationships with your dealer (assuming that they're any good of course!) because it pays off all ways around.

I dare say that there are some folks lurking here who will have pre-ordered with several dealers hoping one or other will get a camera earlier and will cancel in a heartbeat - it happens all the time.

/sermon off

Edited by gwelland

I paid a small deposit when I ordered the M9 couple of weeks ago. Will be paying the invoice (although well below the RRP sfokevin :p. oh, am I bragging about not overpaying now ?) this week. Saw the Leica rep yesterday, M9 should arriving this week :) yipeeee

ianman,

Congratulation! Based in Belgium myself, I had sent you a personal message about a week ago asking who your dealer is. I don't like paying the RRP myself and have rarely done so.