"A stop improvement in noise [over the M8]"

jrgeoffrion

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quick question on the M9 as I have not had a chance to get my hands on it yet. I used to shoot weddings with two DMRs. I sold one DMR to move to a M8/DMR combo when the M8 was announced but the banding and IR issues prevented me to do so. Now that the M9 seems to have solved the IR issue, my beautiful M lenses can finally be used on a suitable digital body (unfortunately, my R lenses are without a dedicated Leica body until Leica comes up with a solution).

According to the preview on dpreview.com, the M9 has "A stop improvement in noise [over the M8]". Unfortunately, this statement was not qualified as it could be interpreted two different ways: 1) on a pixel-per-pixel basis, the noise in a single pixel is one stop less [in the M9 than in the M8] or 2) on a pixel-per-pixel basis, the noise is about the same but since there are more pixels in the M9, the lesser enlargement provides a gain of 1 stop for a same print size.

Can someone that has shot with both the M9 and M8 in RAW and processed the images with the SAME raw converter weight in.

Thanks in advance for the info.

PS: I'm just looking for the information about...

Edited by jrgeoffrion

Hi JR-

I'm the guy that bought the DMR from you, and have been enjoying it very much and have been putting it to good use. I don't have it yet to make any comments on it, but I've ordered an M9 that should be coming in (hopefully) pretty soon- if you're still in or around Winnetka and want to take a look at it/try it out just let me know and I'd happy to stop by some day.

-John

Hi JR-

I'm the guy that bought the DMR from you, and have been enjoying it very much and have been putting it to good use. I don't have it yet to make any comments on it, but I've ordered an M9 that should be coming in (hopefully) pretty soon- if you're still in or around Winnetka and want to take a look at it/try it out just let me know and I'd happy to stop by some day.

-John

John,

I'm glad you are still enjoying the DMR. Every time I look at my archived RAW DMR files, I miss the camera. I moved, but still in Winnetka. I would love to try it out if you REALLY don't mind. I have eight amazing M lenses that are waiting for the body if it does what I need it to do for weddings. Are you still at the corner photo store?

Im doing architecture work now as I just finished with school last May, but I'm still working at the photo store on Saturdays. It would be no problem at all to stop over so you can take a look at it / try it out. I'll shoot you an email when it comes in; I'm counting down the days...