SD Card recommendations for M9

phovsho

Leica's Recomendation:

Which tpes of memory cards will work with my LEICA M9?

In principle, all cards complying with the SD/SDHC specifcations will work. Since this market with

its many distributers changes quickly, Leica cannot constantly check the compatibility.

The M9's performance is very much based on the card's speed.

Therefore, we suggest using the faster types on the list below containing memory cards checked by

Leica.

Type of card Speed when used in LEICA M9

SanDisk Ultra II 4 GB ++

SanDisk Ultra II 16 GB ++

SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB ++

PNY 8 GB +

Panasonic 8 GB 20 MB/s +

Lexar Professional 8GB 133x +

Panasonic 4 GB 20 MB/s +

SanDisk Ultra II 32 GB +

SanDisk Video HD 16 GB +

SanDisk Extreme III 30 MB/s 4 GB +

SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB +

SanDisk Extreme III 30 MB/s 8 GB +

Lexar 20MB/s 8 GB +

Transcend 32GB -

Lexar 16 GB -

Transcend 4 GB -

Transcend 16 GB -

Lexar 8 GB -

SanDisk Extreme III 4 GB -

++ = very good speed

+ = good speed

- = less than good speed

I just compared (very quickly) a Sandisk Ultra 2GB with a Sandisk Extrem 2GB. Noticed no discernible difference. Will test a bit deeper.

Both cards shot on 'C' till buffer full. Both cards took 31 seconds for the buffer to clear.

Any techy people got comments to make that make a difference in the real world of shooting?

Edited by erl

My Leica rep highly recommended Hoodman RAW SDHC cards when I tested the M9 back on the 9th.

Did he say why, or was he just selling them? I'm interested in working facts that can be noticed.

Did he say why, or was he just selling them? I'm interested in working facts that can be noticed.

I can't be of much help beyond saying that she highly recommends them. She doesn't sell them to my knowledge, though. I shoot an MP and have no real digital experience. I just needed a card so I could test the M9 and take my shots with me. Don't know a thing about the specs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't be of much help beyond saying that she highly recommends them. She doesn't sell them to my knowledge, though. I shoot an MP and have no real digital experience. I just needed a card so I could test the M9 and take my shots with me. Don't know a thing about the specs.

That makes two of us! ;)

Oh, the days of analog. I'm sure they were simpler, I think. :rolleyes:

Hi Erl,

That's quite a difference from when I got to handle an M9.

I tested using an 8gig SanDisk Extreme III SDHC 30meg edition, from when the camera is unable to shoot anymore frames from full buffer until the write light goes out:

-uncompressed DNG only: 18 sec

-compressed DNG only: 10 sec

according to the M9 FAQ on Leica's website my card is supposedly *slower* on the M9 than Ultra II's...........

reliability/speed and buffer speed are very important aspects I want to see on the M9, though the informal tests, numbers and suggestions of using certain cards has me a bit confused.....

andy

I just compared (very quickly) a Sandisk Ultra 2GB with a Sandisk Extrem 2GB. Noticed no discernible difference. Will test a bit deeper.

Both cards shot on 'C' till buffer full. Both cards took 31 seconds for the buffer to clear.

Any techy people got comments to make that make a difference in the real world of shooting?

Edited by 35mmSummicron