Noctilux "Review" at popphoto.com

Dan States

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Once again Popular Photography has amazed with it's total lack of effort. Of course they gave the new Noctilux great comments...I think they expended all of about 100 words. I could have added three times as much information in about 6 minutes of typing.

In a world of websites that offer free, in depth, quality reviews of equipment I can't for the life of me understand why this publication still exists. They must be in some kind of media free "cone of silence" to think what they are doing has any purpose at this point. Do they even KNOW about dpreview.com or any of the other providers in the market?

I for one would like to find a job that allows me to make money for doing as little as they apparently do at Popular Photography. Any ideas?

I for one would like to find a job that allows me to make money for doing as little as they apparently do at Popular Photography. Any ideas?

Know the right people, for example by being born into the right family. That's probably what the Popular Photography people have done.

Know the right people, for example by being born into the right family. That's probably what the Popular Photography people have done.

Get chummy with people working in international development for US taxpayer dollars in Iraq or, better still, Afghanistan. Your buddies will create a position for you (paid for by US tax dollars) that is completely unnecessary and you won't need any relevant qualifications (they will word the job around your resume and with a few white lies here and there, you'll appear indispensable before you know it). You can then do b*gger all for an incredibly high wage and interfere with the people who are actually trying to do a decent job. When those genuine professionals become irksome (because they keep reigning you in on your BS), you can have your chums 'make them redundant' and then immediately replace them with some more of your buddies in bold faced contravention of employment law, while completely screwing any chance of any kind of international success in the theater you work in.

So, yeah, these things are easy, as long as you have no conscience. If the mag you refer to was based here, it would have ten times the number of people working on it, with ten times less total experience between them. They would take millions of dollars to produce each issue (twice a year because monthly would be too tough), having decided to start up the mag well before having a clue what it would be about. It would have started out as Farming Weekly and morphed into a photography mag because the boss 'likes cameras more' and would have an excellent readership at USAID (despite being intended for the Afghan public).

I always hated those cheap magazines printed on ugly paper. And all those stories cut in 5 parts all to be continued 15 pages later for the sake of you going through the pages filled with ads. Talk about a way to make the reader feel stupid.

A Typical american marketing model that I totally cannot understand how come it succeeded for so long. If it was up to me, that magazine wouldn't have lasted 2 issues.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All I look at is the lens performance chart. If my recollection this is the finest performance measured for any lens, including the 50mm Summilux. The charts don't tell the whole story of lens performance, but if the chart is right, the 0.95 is a really remarkable lens. I'll never have one myself to find out.