Projected ACR release for M9

arthury

Hi There

ACR already works very well with the M9 - lots of the testing has been done using ACR or Lightroom with the default DNG support. There may be specific colour matrix information included later on, but it's already producing fine colour and Detail

C1 has also been working with default DNG support up until 4.8.2 (which didn't work, despite being released with the notorious M9 profile). 4.8.3 now has proper support with camera profiles.

Aperture is in the same situation as ACR and Lightroom - full DNG support gives fine detail and colour, but there may be specific camera profiles later on.

Any other software which has proper DNG support should also open the files.

It's a real pleasure to have a new camera with such a range of raw options available from get-go. Kudos to Leica I think to embrace DNG and then to stick to it and do it properly (of course, the S2 and X1 are the same)

And anyone with a colour checker card can produce their own profile using the free tools provided by Adobe.

Except that the red / magenta channel are apparently wayyy off right now. If you fix it for faces (which you can with profiling), then other reds go "too" yellow (but of course your definition of too yellow may vary, and if those reds are not important, then it doesn't matter :))

Anyway. I'd expect Adobe to tweak that sometime soon... this doesn't look like the normal LR / ACR magenta problems, and the M9 is not the M8.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Except that the red / magenta channel are apparently wayyy off right now.

Hi Jamie

I haven't done a great deal with Lightroom, as I personally prefer Aperture (where the red channel needs a very small hue adjustment, and the boost is best adjusted to 50%).

However, I got good results from Lightroom when I was testing it, If you'd said 'slightly off' I wouldn't have disagreed, I've yet to try C1 4.8.3, I liked the results with 4.8.1, but not as much as those from Aperture (I think all this stuff is largely related to the program you are used to/good at).

Hi There

ACR already works very well with the M9 - lots of the testing has been done using ACR or Lightroom with the default DNG support. There may be specific colour matrix information included later on, but it's already producing fine colour and Detail

[...]

That may be true but I do not think the official support for the M9 has been released yet.

Take a look at this

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_5.5_ReadMe.pdf

The M9 is not listed in there.

All the pictures posted in my M9 review were processed straight through LR 2.4. Yesterday I was playing with some of the same files in C1 v4.8.3 and I actually prefer the rendering of LR. The C1 files are morre neutral, but the LR renderings have a little more life/zing/snap/whatever, which I prefer.

YMMV, but after experiencing the asset management tools, advanced editing like spot healing and adjustment brush, unlimited history states, and more finely tuned tweking options, I'm having a hard time going back to C1. I used C1 exclusively for the last three years, but LR just offers so much more, and it is much, much faster. Working through M9 files in C1 is like walking through mud compared to LR. And, S2 files make the differences even more obvious.

As Jono said, we are fortunate that with DNG, we have so many options for RAW processing and workflow available right from the outset.I'll continue to evaluate the differences between C1 and LR for myself, but so far, even without specific profiles, LR is doing a really nice job.

David

What settings did you use for brightness and contrast in LR when you got more "life/zing/snap/whatever"?

Do you get the same results for the M8?

I agree to your description that C1 is like walking through mud compared to LR. However, I prefer the look of the files from C1 compared to LR for the M8. Unfortunately, I have no M9 to test with (yet!).

Hi Jamie

I haven't done a great deal with Lightroom, as I personally prefer Aperture (where the red channel needs a very small hue adjustment, and the boost is best adjusted to 50%).

However, I got good results from Lightroom when I was testing it, If you'd said 'slightly off' I wouldn't have disagreed, I've yet to try C1 4.8.3, I liked the results with 4.8.1, but not as much as those from Aperture (I think all this stuff is largely related to the program you are used to/good at).

In tungsten, Jono, right now on uncompressed RAWs, I needed to move the RED slider in LR / ACR by 50 points (really) to get skin remotely right: something is seriously messed there. This completely shifted every other red in the shot.

As I said previously, I'm sure Adobe will address this soon.

And you're right, it may be related to what program we're all good at (I don't have a Mac, so I've never tried Aperture or Raw Developer), but the prints I've seen from people with Aperture haven't been very convincing. I'm just calling them as I see them, since I'm pretty proficient in C1 and PS (ACR), though I have to give credit to Zlatko B. for the secret red shift to make the M9 look reasonably in ACR.

Of course, the processor is secondary compared to the photo content :) Your files are always worth looking at!

C1 profile for the M9 is fantastic the colours are so accurate it's a pleasure to work with the camera and C1 to process your files ...

Armin

Actually I've been working with the files provided by Guy Mancuso and find, as I always did with M8 files, that ACR gives me a more pleasing image then C1. And yes I used the newest C1.

Actually I've been working with the files provided by Guy Mancuso and find, as I always did with M8 files, that ACR gives me a more pleasing image then C1. And yes I used the newest C1.

I always find it opposite. C1 resolves and developed my DNGs with more refined resolution, tones and more accurate colors.