LFI- a good read

jaapv

Yes, I can see why you would have thought it a good read. It's true that a couple of Jono's pics are nice but I thought the general standard of images to illustrate the S2 and M9 were pretty humdrum to say the least. To be honest, I found this issue of LFI to be so boring that I've already chucked it in the recycling bin.

Edited by wattsy

Maybe you should take it out again. The most important things that caught my eye were Jono's photographs of the Morgan Trike and the racing driver, where his Summicron 35 asph caught a bokeh that I never managed to get with my copy of the lens and the M8, only on film, and the double spread of the S2 photograph, where the rendering of the skin of the model is luminescent and the hair has an unprecedented livelyness. I agree, though that bit of PS on the hotspots on the model's face in some other shots would have rendered them more convincing.

I thought the car shots were by Bruno Stevens not Jono. I think it's too late to dig out the mag (the bin men came yesterday) but I really don't recall being impressed by the S2 shots - either technically or artistically. It doesn't help that LFI is no longer printed to the standard it used to be.

Maybe - it is quite possible, I did not pay the attention I should to the credits. Some S2 shots were so-so, but a few, amongrst those the one I mentioned were quite spectacular imo. And I share your opinion on the print quality - most images are far too small too.

Jaap,

As far as the M9 pictures are concerned, I agree absolutely. In particular, the one on page 34 jumped to my eye and I had exactly the same envious thoughts as you.

Good to see that the 35 mm Summicron asph performs very well on the M9. However, I am determined not to buy an M9 before 11th November 2011... Which engenders the question of whether the more economically priced lenses which I bought in conjunction with the M8 (for example, I own the 24mm Elmar asph, the 28mm Elmarit asph and the 75mm Summarit) will also perform well on the full-format M9.

Unfortunately, there is rather little to be read about this issue - in the LFI and in the Leica user forum also. Maybe a topic for a separate thread.

Regards,

Peter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

<snip>I think it's too late to dig out the mag (the bin men came yesterday) but I really don't recall being impressed by the S2 shots - either technically or artistically. It doesn't help that LFI is no longer printed to the standard it used to be.

...gotta commend your efficient no-nonsense attitude towards recycling. :D

I thought that reproduction of photographs in the latest LFI was excellent and I learnt some things about the M9 that I did not know.

Although the articles are interesting they are quickly read, something more substantial would be an improvement. However I dont throw them in the bin.

Jeff

Yes, I agree. After most issues arrive I wonder whether to continue my subscription. Compared with the content of a few years ago there is seldom a really 'meaty' article which conveys the photographer's voice. Most profiles are represented through a journalist's eye's which dilutes the vividness for which I yearn. I know that top photographers are busy people, but surely an editor's budget will tempt some of them to give a kind of running commentary on some of their field or studio work. Just a thought.