Fast, small, not to contrasty 35mm?

nickmeertens

There's another one to consider: the all black Canon 35mm f2. The 1.8 is softer and not as contrasty, but the f2 is sharper....a good one is as flare-resistant and sharp as a good later Summicron .... but less contrasty. A good Canon 35 f2 would be a beltingly good and economical choice for what you're looking for. But like any 40-year-old lens, you'd have to shop around quite determinedly for a good one.

Edited by dodger

Why didn't you consider the CV Nokton 35/1.4?

Very cheap and also available as single-coated version which will give you even less contrast.

With focus shift and lot of flare though. I can't use it at slower apertures than f/2 due to focus shift personally. But at f/1.4 it really shines if there are no light sources in the frame.

I bought a 1,7/Ultron today on the Bay for 259 EUR. If it doesn't please me, I have no trouble selling it again and even if I will not get the original price, the loss would have been only modest.

But from what I have read, I think it will be good.

Regards,

Dan.

I adore the Ultron 35/1.7 on my M8. It's sharp and medium contrast, and has a look all its own that I find very pleasing. The only downside is the 1m minimum focusing distance.

Here is my Flickr photoset of photos taken with it: Voigtländer Ultron 35/1.7

I also use the Nokton Classic 35/1.4 and the Color Skopar 35/2.5 but I'll be danged if I can tell you which one I like best- they're all great in their own way.

As with some but not all CVs, the 35 1.7 seems to come with every comment from 'soft wide open' to 'sharp as a tack, but mmodest contrast'. I get the impression there is a certain amount of sample variation, btu judging from the sample on Reid Reviews, it is clear that it can perform very well indeed, while also delivering only medium contrast.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...hookonclassic, please confirm the filter size for the pre-asph 35 Summilux. For some reason I was under the impression it took either a Series VI or VII filter, which was secured by the 12504 hood. :confused: Thanks.

Correction. You are absolutely right. The 35 Summilux pre-ASPH does not have any threaded mount filter. Only uses 12504 hood with Series VII filter. :p

The lux can use 49mm filters in the round 12504 hood, if you can't find the proper series VII filter. Also, the rect asph cron hood, the 12526 I think, works better than the circular filter, but has no provisions for a filter on the pre-asph lux.

The v3, v4 pre asph crons, and asph crons are all good f2 lenses, but the pre-asph lux gives a unique soft glow wide open that can be desirable.

Thank you all for the response! That odd filter size on the lux seems inconvenient. I'm tending towards a v3 or v4 cron after reviewing the above.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd give an update.

I've been making bay-bids on 35mm version 3 Summicrons and Ultrons 1.7 for about a month now.

I choose these because they both have a convenient filter size (same as the 35mm Color Skopar I now use) and seem to offer good performance for the money.

The Ultrons bonus is that it is a little faster than the Cron and screws right in the coded adapter I use for the skopar. The Leica's plus is... well, it is a Leica.

I'm cheap by necessity so I set myself a maximum of €200 for the Ultron and €500 for the Summicron.

Yesterday one finally came through; I won a black mint(ish) Ultron, original box included, for €167 :).

That should get me through a few dark winters until I can afford a Summilux.

500 euros would be a great price for a 35 cron V4. I paid $1,399 for a mint one two years ago. That one replaced one that was lost overboard... ouch.

The V4 is slightly larger and heavier that the CV 35/2.5, which I also have. Image-wise, the CV is slightly more contrasty while the Cron V4 has wonderful sharpness with all of the Leica glow you'd ever want. Its the perfect lens.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Don't rule the Summarit 2.5 out. :) it's lovely and small with great image quality. I really love this lens. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Most of the pre-ASPH lenses will give you what you want. IMO, what you are looking for would be a 35 lux type IV. While I don't have one (donations kindly accepted :D) I do have a 50 cron IV which is very sharp without the biting contrast of the ASPH. However, I find the ASPH to be better on the M8 than on a film M. My two cents.