Fast, small, not to contrasty 35mm?

nickmeertens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello reader,

Since I bought my M8 in May I've been using a single lens; the 35mm CV Color Skopar Classic. I'm very happy with it and it's focal length, but with days shortening and winter getting nearer I would like to add a faster 35mm. A not to contrasty one, a bit like the CV28mm Ultron I had on my Epson RD-1, and it also must be small(ish) and not too expensive. Sooo I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. A '70's pre-Asph 35mm Summilux or Summicron or the CV 35mm Ultron.

Does anybody know how these compare? Is there a resource somewhere online which compares them? I'm interested in sharpness at comparable apertures, contrast, bokeh, focus accuracy, flair, the usual. I do use an IR filter.

Any links, suggestions or pointers would be most helpfull.

Thank you, Nick

I did a test recently on my own and can share with you. Below are some of my comments. I will leave the picture for you to do your own interpretation, although one must view enlargement file to see clearly. I don't have a CV Ultron and 35 Summicron Type 4, hope someone can pose some picture taken with these lenses in this thread.

3930595989_8601848611_o.jpg

Taken with Canon LTM 35mm f1.8

Camera: M8.2 mounted on tripod, lens detection off, no filter

Focal length: 35mm

Aperture: f2

No post processing.

This lens has a infinity lock. It is very sharp at center region (like APSH summicron) and soft on the outer rim. Exhibit no flare or coma and softness of Leica 35 Summilux pre-APSH at wide open. It is similar in size like the pre-APSH lux and used (optically good) condition may be cost around 1/5 of new 35 Summicron APSH.

3931378742_307537f9db_o.jpg

Taken with 35 Summicron Type 3 (1971/72)

No post processing.

This lens is not "very" sharp in the center region (can only see from 100% crop version) but exhibit sharpness across the horizontal band across the frame. You can see it is still sharp on the Billingham logo of the bag, and not so for the Canon lens.

3931378986_974e50bb39_o.jpg

Taken with Leica 35 Summilux pre-APSH

No post processing.

This lens is very small and light. It uses only non screw thread Series VII filter with hood. Front lens element protection is a hassle and more prone to lens dust entry.

It is sharp at f2 but not contrasty. The 100% crop at the center exhibit non contrasty edge. This lens is know for softness wide open and effect of flare and light coma when shot against any light source.

3931379240_1b7d575036_o.jpg

Taken with Leica 35 Summicron APSH

No post processing.

This lens is slightly bigger in size relatively speaking to earlier version. This is Leica latest version with 6-bit coding.

It is very sharp across the frame at the focus distance and contrasty.

I did a test recently on my own and can share with you. Below are some of my comments. I will leave the picture for you to do your own interpretation, although one must view enlargement file to see clearly. I don't have a CV Ultron and 35 Summicron Type 4, hope someone can pose some picture taken with these lenses in this thread..... etc

Wow! That's very helpfull! Did you focus on the blue duck in the middle?

3930662887_2b5df186c7.jpg

Top left: 28mm Elmarit APSH (filter size: E39)

Top right: 35mm Summicron APSH (filter size: E39)

Bottom left: Canon 35mm f1.8 (filter size: 40mm)

Bottom centre: 35mm Summilux pre-APSH (filter size: E39)

Bottom right: 35mm Summicron Type 3 (filter size: E39)

For your information, Leica 28mm Elmarit APSH (with 6-bit coding) weight only 180g is the most compact and lightest CURRENT Leica M mount lenses.

Cheers :)

For your information, Leica 28mm Elmarit APSH (with 6-bit coding) weight only 180g is the most compact and lightest CURRENT Leica M mount lenses.

If you consider second hand lenses, you should also consider the pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron (serie IV). It is both smaller and lighter than the 28 Elmarit.

...Since I bought my M8 in May I've been using a single lens; the 35mm CV Color Skopar Classic. I'm very happy with it and it's focal length, but with days shortening and winter getting nearer I would like to add a faster 35mm. A not to contrasty one, a bit like the CV28mm Ultron I had on my Epson RD-1, and it also must be small(ish) and not too expensive. Sooo I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. A '70's pre-Asph 35mm Summilux or Summicron or the CV 35mm Ultron...

Depends on what you mean by not too expensive. If you intend to shoot mainly at f/1.4 or f/2 the CV 35/1.4 SC sounds like the best affordable alternative. It has the same fingerprint as the latest pre-asph Summilux with more sharpness at full aperture. But it flares even more than the latter so a good hood is mandatory. Beware that it suffers focus shift like the Ultron 28/2 though. The CV 35/1.2 is said to be very good as well but it is a big lens and i have no experience of it. Otherwise the pre-asph Summilux is my favorite fast 35 personally but it is not cheap at all. Same for the Sumicron 35/2 IV that i can recommand as well. To me the best compromise would be the Summicron-C 40/2. It fits 35mm framelines better than 35mm lenses at long to medium distance, with the same fingerprint as the 35/2 IV. FWIW.

Edited by lct

3930662887_2b5df186c7.jpg

Top left: 28mm Elmarit APSH (filter size: E39)

Top right: 35mm Summicron APSH (filter size: E39)

Bottom left: Canon 35mm f1.8 (filter size: 40mm)

Bottom centre: 35mm Summilux pre-APSH (filter size: E39)

Bottom right: 35mm Summicron Type 3 (filter size: E39)

...hookonclassic, please confirm the filter size for the pre-asph 35 Summilux. For some reason I was under the impression it took either a Series VI or VII filter, which was secured by the 12504 hood. :confused: Thanks.

...To me the best compromise would be the Summicron-C 40/2. It fits 35mm framelines better than 35mm lenses at long to medium distance...

Please note that its flange must be slightly filed to bring up 35mm framelines. Haven't got the least problem doing so with my 3 :rolleyes: cron 40. See here.

I now use a pre-asph 35, compact, fast and sharp wide open. Compared to the 35 lux it's certainly more contrasty. The type 7 filter of the pre-asph lux is a pain and very expensive

Bought this 35 Summicron used for 850 euro at a local Leica dealer, ebay may have better deals.

M8 + 35 version IV.

3915034633_855dd4d114_o.jpg

Recommend 35 v3 or v4 Summicrons. Currently have both and use the latter more, and there is little difference. I may eventually sell one and get a Pre-ASPH -lux, as I'm sorry I sold one years ago [The same story as many who have sold Leica gear]. Looking at my negs and prints, as others have commented elsewhere on this forum, it's flarey, a bit unsharp in the corners, but looks great.

Is that a TVR?! I remember a friend selling one years ago. The add read: "For sale. TVR Tuscan. Rare, fast and ungly/"

I have the 35 1.7 Ultron. Very nice lens and not expensive. I can recommend it.

My Ultron f/1.7 experience is what helped me decide to buy a Summicron ASPH.

The CA is very obvious wide open, and really doesn't tame down for about 1 1/2 stops. This is most noticeable with specular highlights -- the problem is that those tend to occur fairly regularly in artificially-lit low light situations -- less so with natural light.

The Summicron is a tad "slower" but very usable wide open. I happened to stumble onto a really good deal on the Summicron ASPH, but my second choice (and what I actually walked into the store to ask about) was a pre-ASPH Summicron. (There is a certain quality about the pre-ASPH Summicrons that really appeals to some folks...Enough that I have it on my long range "to buy" list, even though it would be a "duplicate".)

The point is that with the Ultron I have an F/2.8 lens, while with the Summicron, I have an f/2 lens.

Edited by ljclark