M8 sensor dust remover - sticky 'wand'?

jaay

It would be awesome if someone would design a "white out" lens to fit the camera (Actually it could be as simple as a filter that has white paper on it) and a simple piece of software that would allow you to connect the USB cord and instantly see a full screen image of the shot to check your cleaning progress...

Maybe Sandy can develop it as a paid add on to Corner Fix :):):)

PS This now explains the design inclusion of that USB plug we all thought was more like an appendix!... :rolleyes:

Edited by sfokevin

I noticed that nice test unit - and that Leica actually uses the USB connection (if not one else does) and also has AC converters to slide in in place of a battery.

I think one of those white-balance filters/lens caps available might duplicate what Leica has - personally I prefer a stopped-down lens (defocused) to accentuate the dust specs when shooting cleaning samples

Iv'e just seen the Leica M9 factory tour video and was impressed by the orange sticky 'wand' the tech used to get dust off the sensor - anyone know what this is and/ or where it can be purchased? anyone used one?

I believe this is what you're looking for.

I am about to order one, but with upcoming potential postal strikes it may never arrive. :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pentax Germany offers a product matching this description (Sensor Cleaning Kit - PENTAX Europe GmbH; I haven’t found it on the websites of either Pentax UK or USA). I’ve used this winegum-on-a-stick tool with lots of different cameras and it works very well (much better than a spec grabber).

Edited by mjh

My guess is that the sticky head is pretty effective for dust, pollen, and other dry contaminants.

However, if you have oil or liquid based contamination, you'll likely still need a liquid cleaner (commercial proprietary formulation or lab grade isopropyl alcohol).

Then what about haze residue?

Warning! I have broken Hasselblad H3D sensor glass using this one. I have pressed it to hard.

But I compared filter thickness between Pentax sensor and Hasselblad one. Pentax one is about 3mm thick(no wonder it won`t break!!!) And Hasselblad one is 1mm only!

I believe Leica one is same(or thinner) as Hasselblad one . You have to be really( I mean really really! ---I was careful with Hasselblad one!)

I use wiping method now. No real pressure on Sensor glass.

Hmm - you should see how (apparently) hard the technician in Solms presses on the sensor!

They should know!

Brian,

I agree. That lady seems to be really pounding that thing. Any chance this could be a reason for the vertical line problem??? I know nothing about sensors or the circuit boards that articulate with them.

Also, question to caparobertsan.

When the Hasselblad sensor was broken, did you know because there was a visual crack or glass everywhere, or were there other symptoms?

1. Polyester type Q-tips. Fibers don't fall off these.

2. Isopropyl alcohol.

If, you get haze... just polish lightly with the swab until it is gone. Also, don't use a blower of any type. Remove the dust from the sensor and get it out of the inside of your camera (with a swab). Don't blow it into the camera. If you use a blower, the dust has a pretty good chance of just moving to the inside of the camera to return again to the sensor.

Brian,

I agree. That lady seems to be really pounding that thing. Any chance this could be a reason for the vertical line problem??? I know nothing about sensors or the circuit boards that articulate with them.

Also, question to caparobertsan.

When the Hasselblad sensor was broken, did you know because there was a visual crack or glass everywhere, or were there other symptoms?

YES WAND had almost gone through the glass! It was bad mistake. YEs glass was everywhere and cracked badly. I had removed screw and removed cover glass, sent ccd back to the factory. I usually use special mixture of methanol and either using lint free paper and tweeser.