Does the X1 Have Scene Modes?

Tenor1

They don't show on the external controls -- which is a very good sign. :)

If they are in the menu system, hopefully they are deeply, deeply buried. :cool:

Lack of scene modes would be very good, and an indicator of the target audience.

Indeed. Ihope there are user configurable custom modes though, which would be a good thing.

Indeed. Ihope there are user configurable custom modes though, which would be a good thing.

Yep...Those would be helpful.

Looking at the X1 brochure (had to get to the computer at home) I find mention of the usual "film" modes: Standard, vivid, natural, BW natural, BW high contrast.

I see no mention of scene modes. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Good point, Carlos. Manual 1 and Manual 2, and fine adjustment. Doesn't say anything about a Kelvin setting. I guess we'll just have to wait.

This will be an interesting camera!

UPDATE: According to the DP review, the answer is yes. They show the display settings on page 8 under "White Balance" of the review.

Regards,

Edited by Daniel Ortego

Bad move, I reckon. Scene modes are for less serious cameras, IMHO. For fifteen hundred quid, I would expect to be able to work out my own settings and not have the camera think for me

This is a serious bit of kit

Damn right. I first encountered "scene modes" on my F90x, years ago. Ghastly things. More dumbed-down than the average BBC news bulletin. My II doesn't have 'em, and I can use it to shoot a kebab if I want, no problem. ;)

Regards,

Bill

I'd rather control my scene by myself. For example exact DOF of the portrait, etc. Controls are basically the same as Digilux 2. Two dials, both have Auto position. Select aperture priority mode, select F2,8 and there is Portrait mode...

Jaak

UPDATE: According to the DP review, the answer is yes. They show the display settings on page 8 under "White Balance" of the review.

Well, that´s metering mode (multifield/centerweighted/spot), not "scene mode". Exactly the choice one has with most cameras (the unsuperable Digilux 2 has it on a dedicated lever on top of the camera).

But no scene modes in sight, happily...

Well, that´s metering mode (multifield/centerweighted/spot), not "scene mode". Exactly the choice one has with most cameras (the unsuperable Digilux 2 has it on a dedicated lever on top of the camera).

I think he was referring to the ability to specify a color temperature as another WB option (in addition to the five adjustable presets, two manual settings, and AWB). Daniel’s “the answer is yes” was clearly in reply to Howard’s “Doesn't say anything about a Kelvin setting.”

Edited by mjh

• 2 weeks later...

Say elgenper,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, since my post wasn't indicating the X1 had scene mode, but rather I was responding to the question by “ho_co” comment Kelvin settings.

Regards,

Dan

Edited by Daniel Ortego

What is against scene modes? Scene modes are meant to set parameters for the automatic mode.

Are we really interested to have the possibility to decide, it a shot should be taken at f/8 or at f/11?

No, we want a low or a high depth of field (the distribution of sharpness).

It is the point of how to design a user interface.

My car signals me, that I have 50% fuel. What use would have the statement, you now drive with 10.3 gallons left or worse you are at 20 gallons off the maximum level? I need to know, if the level passes a minimum.

A X1 without scene modes is a camera for would-be experts. In the sense: "Look, I can force my camera to take this picture at 1/125 with f/5.6, you can't and I suppose, that you even don't know what f/nn means".

Jan

What is against scene modes? Scene modes are meant to set parameters for the automatic mode.

Are we really interested to have the possibility to decide, it a shot should be taken at f/8 or at f/11?

It is the point of how to design a user interface.

My car signals me, that I have 50% fuel. What use would have the statement, you now drive with 10.3 gallons left or worse you are at 20 gallons off the maximum level? I need to know, if the level passes a minimum.

A X1 without scene modes is a camera for would-be experts. In the sense: "Look, I can force my camera to take this picture at 1/125 with f/5.6, you can't and I suppose, that you even don't know what f/nn means".

Jan

I see no problem in the X1 including scene modes and I doon't think it will be a less competent camera for adding (any) scene modes in the menu.

Scene modes in the sense that you have (user modyfiable) presets similar to the DLux 4's C1 and C2(1-3) are quite handy (dare I mention that many proDSLR also has this feature?!?). The DLux 4 has preset scene modes (SCN) that allows you to tweek settings otherwise not accessable (pinhole mode e.g.).

On the other hand, I would suspect that the majority of the X1's target audience will probably have a fairly clear picture of what "f/nn" means and the effect of tweeking it...

Say elgenper,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, since my post wasn't indicating the X1 had scene mode, but rather I was responding to the question by “ho_co” comment Kelvin settings.

Regards,

Dan

OK, sorry for the delay; I haven´t visited this thread for a while. Seems I was barking up the wrong tree, then....:o

Jan

Well, there are hundreds of camera models WITH scene modes for those who never want to become experts.... Can´t we just have ONE camera more that doesn´t force us to spend half our attention trying to outwit it and have it work the way WE want it, not the way some designer thought suitable for the majority of subjects (whatever that is)?

For myself, I´ve now decided to pass on the X1 and go for the M9. Certainly no scene modes (can´t help me brush my teeth either.....:rolleyes:)

Some of us just prefer a less is more appraoch to a camera... it is why we like Leica Ms in the first place. The less idiot modes the better. A digital version of a Leica III ... :D