Anyone pre-ordered an X1?

biglouis

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are dealers even taking pre-orders? What is interesting is the Lumix GF1 with the 20/1.7 (40 equiv) is on Amazon for £816. If the X1 is in the £1300 range then its not such a bad deal, perhaps.

LouisB

The published list price of the X1 is indeed around £1,300. But it's really a different camera from the GF1, you can read some comments on another thread on this comparison here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/98884-x1-v-gf1-m8.html

Not sure also if you read another thread about my experience with a preproduction unit. The write time is slow; I didn't time it but must be around 3s before you can take another picture on S mode. The Leica techies assured me that the production sets, with upgraded firmware, would resolve this issue but I'd wait to test one before I'd commit to buy though. :)

The published list price of the X1 is indeed around £1,300. But it's really a different camera from the GF1, you can read some comments on another thread on this comparison here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/98884-x1-v-gf1-m8.html

Not sure also if you read another thread about my experience with a preproduction unit. The write time is slow; I didn't time it but must be around 3s before you can take another picture on S mode. The Leica techies assured me that the production sets, with upgraded firmware, would resolve this issue but I'd wait to test one before I'd commit to buy though. :)

I also preordered one, from Popflash. From two sources, one a written review and one a video demo which shows the camera firing rapidly, I have seen that the camera can do six or seven raw files in rapid sequence with then a three or four second delay before an additional shot. I also understand that Reid Review had this experience with the camera and commented on how fast it was, though I don't read his reviews. The camera seems to have a large buffer, much better than anything else its size. Dan

I also preordered one, from Popflash. From two sources, one a written review and one a video demo which shows the camera firing rapidly, I have seen that the camera can do six or seven raw files in rapid sequence with then a three or four second delay before an additional shot. I also understand that Reid Review had this experience with the camera and commented on how fast it was, though I don't read his reviews. The camera seems to have a large buffer, much better than anything else its size. Dan

I saw the video and I think it was set at C mode. Not sure if it made a difference but with the preproduction unit that I handled at the Leica launch in Singapore. It was slow on S mode. Agonizingly so. Still, the one I tried could be the anomalous one; hopefully the production units are a lot better. :)

I saw the video and I think it was set at C mode. Not sure if it made a difference but with the preproduction unit that I handled at the Leica launch in Singapore. It was slow on S mode. Agonizingly so. Still, the one I tried could be the anomalous one; hopefully the production units are a lot better. :)

I don't think they shoot in RAW mode in the videos. I tried the X1 in JPG "C" mode and it's fast.

I don't think they shoot in RAW mode in the videos. I tried the X1 in JPG "C" mode and it's fast.

Vic, were you at the launch at Oosh? I shot in jpg too and it was slow man. I noticed some people tesing the camera without a card inside. When I used it with my 4gb Extreme III, it was painful.

efftee, yes I was at the launch. I used a 8GB Sandisk Ultra II and it seems fine in the X1. BUT when I tried the same card on a M9, the M9 hung and captured images got corrupted :confused:

Did you format the card with the X1 prior to shooting? I had to do that after the stint in the M9.

Also, the autofocus with face detection was not fantastic but when switched to single point, it was much better.

efftee, yes I was at the launch. I used a 8GB Sandisk Ultra II and it seems fine in the X1. BUT when I tried the same card on a M9, the M9 hung and captured images got corrupted :confused:

Did you format the card with the X1 prior to shooting? I had to do that after the stint in the M9.

Also, the autofocus with face detection was not fantastic but when switched to single point, it was much better.

No, I didn't have to format the card (previously formatted on my M8) on either the M9 or X1. I noticed some people having a hard time formatting their cards, several Kingston in fact, with the M9 -- took forever!

I'm not sure what focus setting the camera was set to but I couldn't lock the focus on the half-press. I also tried the manual focus on the X1, not the easiest thing in the world to do. I remember reading someone saying that the manual focus didn't offer distance reading but it does.

Still, I must say, my personal experience of write time not withstanding, it is by far the best P&S I have handled. If the eventual thing was fast like everyone else claims, I'd buy one. :)

Hi!

I am thinking about getting a new digital camera especially for b&w photography. The X1 is a contender, albeit an expensive one. It comes with Lightroom, however, which makes me wonder:

I really like Silver Efex Pro and want to buy it. Now...Lightroom 2.3 users can download Silver Efex Pro for free. Is the version of Lightroom delivered with the X1 a version that can be updated to v2.3 for free or is even v2.3? Then the camera would effectively cost me 200 Euros less (better said - save 200 Euro for software), and give me Lightroom 2 as well, which seems to be useful software as well.

Am I missing something here :confused: ?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi!

I am thinking about getting a new digital camera especially for b&w photography. The X1 is a contender, albeit an expensive one. It comes with Lightroom, however, which makes me wonder:

I really like Silver Efex Pro and want to buy it. Now...Lightroom 2.3 users can download Silver Efex Pro for free. Is the version of Lightroom delivered with the X1 a version that can be updated to v2.3 for free or is even v2.3? Then the camera would effectively cost me 200 Euros less (better said - save 200 Euro for software), and give me Lightroom 2 as well, which seems to be useful software as well.

Am I missing something here :confused: ?

Thanks,

Peter

Too much math. IMHO I think you should check-out other alternatives.

... Now...Lightroom 2.3 users can download Silver Efex Pro for free.....

What you can download for free is an update that gives a Silver Efex Pro plugin for Lightroom. So, what´s free is just the update; you have to buy Silver Efex Pro as a standalone software first...:(

I remember reading someone saying that the manual focus didn't offer distance reading but it does.

Maybe you read (someone quoting) Sean Reid's review? IIRC he said that there are no distance markings on the wheel as on the DP1/DP2 which would have been nice. With the DP1/DP2 you can zone-focus without looking at the LCD.