Dust Magnet

Spo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm convinced my M8 lives solely to attract dust. I'm persisting with a Giottos blower at the moment but recognise I'm going to have to reach for my wallet soon and get something more useful.

Anyone care to recommend any such devices. I'd ideally like something that does my D3 too and can be used regularly as I'm changing lenses often.

I had read the Arctic Butterfly system is good but would love some honest opinion.

Thanks in anticipation.:mad:

Unless you have a extremely good eyesight and a steady hand of a burglar, I would not advice you to touch the sensor with anything. Send the camera away to regular cleaning service at a pro shop.

I do this. The only thing I use as a cleaner myself is the rubber blower. Here in Oslo, the Leica importer even have a 'free wash' every 5th time you have it in for cleaning.

You say you change your lenses alot?...

You might look at your lens change sequence and also where & how you store your lens...

I would say a good part of the dust that gets onto my sensor was originally on one of my lenses to start with and transfered to the sensor once I mounted it on the camera.... i make a habit of blowing off the inner lens before I mount it on the camera...

You could look into a nice Leica clean room outfit that was modeled by those shameless leica shills reciently too ;-)

You might look at your lens change sequence and also where & how you store your lens... I would say a good part of the dust that gets onto my sensor was originally on one of my lenses to start with and transfered to the sensor once I mounted it on the camera.... i make a habit of blowing off the inner lens before I mount it on the camera...

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You say you change your lenses alot?...

You might look at your lens change sequence and also where & how you store your lens...

I would say a good part of the dust that gets onto my sensor was originally on one of my lenses to start with and transfered to the sensor once I mounted it on the camera.... i make a habit of blowing off the inner lens before I mount it on the camera...

I totally agree. When blowing out the camera I invert it so that some of the dislodged particles fall out. I apply a gentle swirling action to encourage gravity clearance. Impossible to see the dust falling, but I always inspect with an illuminated magnifier to ensure a clean sensor. It works well. Of course, you need to choose a clean environment to start with before attempting cleaning!

Thanks for your replies. In a round about way you've got me thinking about why I bought an M8 in the first place, to try and get back to basics. I've really not done that as I've managed to purchase three lenses and am carting them all about with me every time I go out and changing where appropriate, usually in the street. Maybe a good blow prior to leaving the house with ONE lens on the body is the answer!!