oolder F1.9 ultron vs. newere F2.0 ultron ?

jackal

I too have the ultron 2.0 28. I have had great success with it. Beautiful rendition, sharp focus, reasonable contrast. I consider it a great value, and although it is my only non-leica glass, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. There does seem to be individual unit variation though, so try the exact lens on your camera before you buy it.

The old lens has no focus shift for all practical purposes. The new one does, it's probably a better film lens than a digital lens, because film "forgives" focus shift more than digital.

I have the 28/1.9. I don't use it much, but I'm glad to have it when I need a wider than 35 lens for available light. It's a decent lens, but it's a little lower contrast than some, and pictures need the curve tweaked a little bit to match my other lenses.

You can see some examples of the 28/1.9 in both daylight and low light here:

Parsley Farm Party

Pages 1, 2 and most of 3 are with the Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH. Pictures with the VC 28/1.9 start with the last two shots on page 3, go through Page 8. Page 9 is with the Summilux again. To be sure, look at the EXIF data (little camera icon above each photo). If the focal length says "0 mm," the shot is with the Leica 35/1.4 ASPH. If it says 28mm, it's shot with the VC 28/1.9. I did adjust the curves for a bit more "snap" on the 28mm shots, but I think you'll see the character of the lens.

For decent light, the VC 28/3.5 (discontinued but often found on The Auction Site, etc.) is an amazing lens--sharp, contrasty and just plain wonderful.

Edited by pklein