If you had to...

Gerard

I love reading photographers bio's and looking at photogrphy.

My most recent read was Annie Leibovitz's 'at work'. A wondefully inspiring book, she writes very well and the photographs in the book are all amazing to my mind (apart from the ones of the queen!).

At the moment i'm working my way through 'Magnum magnum'. Magnum photographers choose some work of other Magnum photographers and write a short piece on them, it's just wonderful. ;)

To build deep, practical understanding of exposure without having to dig into the Zone system:

The Hand Exposure Meter Book by Hisrchfeld, Shell, Silverman, and Zuckerman

To build understanding of photographic theory:

The Nature of Photographs by Stephen Shore.

Edited by wstotler

...choose one book that would help an amature improve their photography, what would your reccomendation be? :confused:

I like Nicole's suggestion: "The manual for whatever camera you're using." This is not a facetious remark, particularly for digital cameras. People simply do not master them.

My own suggestion would not be a photography how-to book at all. My own suggestion would be to spend time looking at art works, particularly paintings. Edward Hopper's paintings are my personal favorites and the works that most frequently inspire me. But your tastes and objectives may be different. Landscapes by Dutch masters might be what helps to guide you.

I like Nicole's suggestion: "The manual for whatever camera you're using." This is not a facetious remark, particularly for digital cameras. People simply do not master them.

Thanks Ken. :)

I would like to add that I had indeed intended my comment as being a serious answer, and was not intending to be facetious at all. There are very many excellent books which will help guide a photographer towards improvement in many subject areas. But unless you fully understand and master the tool (camera) that you are using, you are unlikely to get the best from it. :)

...choose one book that would help an amature improve their photography, what would your reccomendation be? :confused:

"The Photographers Eye."

Forgot the author. Simple to the point.

do a search its a new book.

It will change the way you see for sure.

Edited by underground

which kind of photography? If you shoot landscapes, people, macro, etc. If you have already photographic skills, you have to improve technique in the kind of photography you practice. Otherwise some books are so boring. Normally if you read from the masters of photography, you will learnt from each one some good tips and tricks.

My favourite is the "Scrap Book" of Henri Cartier Bresson. Specially if you like to shoot M camera with a 50mm. Like good things in life (Leica) is a bit expensive.

Edited by Fotomiguel