M8.2 Mistake in buying one?

rknewcomb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I just recently bought a M8.2 and I'm beginning to worry that I made a mistake. In reading here about the shutter failures, banding problems that show up late in the game, error mesages and cameras that just quit, did I get into a problem camera that I'm forever going to be sending off for repair or otherwise not being able to depend on? I've had film Leicas that mostly always worked with little or no attention. I realize that an electronic based camera is not going to be exactly the same but holy cow that sounds like a lot of problems.

Can somebody here please do a little hand holding for me....or give me the bad news?

thank you....I think.

I have had 4 M8's and one M8.2 - never had one single issue with any of them. Well, the first M8.2 I bought had a line at high ISO's but it was swapped by my dealer and the new one was fine. I never had a shutter fail or any other issues with any of the 5 cameras. I think these were mostly in the early M8's where all of these problems existed.

The M8.2 was the model where Leica got everything sorted out with the M8 - the finish, the silent shutter mode, improvements in the switch ergonomics (harder to push into timer mode) etc. I've had 3 M8's including the M8.2 for about a year I think now and it has been rock solid. In the time that I've had M8's (Feb 2007 onwards) only my original M8 had any issue and that was a random re-cock error that Leica fixed under warranty (plus I upgraded it at that point too) and I understand something that was engineered out. The M8/M8.2 & M9 all use the same key components btw including the shutter.

If you read these forums you need to filter the fact that problems with a few cameras/users are taken out of the context of the vast majority of people that have no problems whatsoever.

Also, if you bought it new you've got a two year warranty or if it's used and has a problem you'll get a year of warranty if Leica do any work on your camera (although obviously the fix won't be under warranty).

Edited by gwelland

Time for due diligence in inverted commas is prior to purchase.

I don't understand what inverted commas above means but....as far as due diligence is concerned..

I centainly did read up on the camera before I bought. I knew that the M8 has some issues, I also believed that the M8.2 had address many of the issues. Most of the chatter outside this forum related to the IR problems and the framelines of the M8. I don't care about the IR problem because I shoot b&w and the frames lines of the 8.2 are suppose to be better.

I didn't hear about all the other problems until joining this forum - kind of the inside poop if you will.

I also probably had faith in Leica from my experiences with past cameras.

A little interpersonal relations tip here. When someone seeks help or support, it is probably not the best plan to scold them or tell them "should have thought of that a head of time".

Buddy I redressed that comment before you posted, because I thought you might be oversensitive to it. A little tip. Check. However since you recovered it, and inverted commas because I know it is an americanism not in hte strictest sense applicable but creeping in.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I cant think of any reasons why the camera, providing it met your needs when you assessed it, should be a mistake. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Edited by rob_x2004

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

it seems that, like me, you are not happy with the idea of being a guinea pig or suffer problems with expensive electronic items. In which case in my opinion you have bought the right camera at the right time. You have bought a mature product at the point that all problems have come out in the light and have been addressed.You have bought the upgraded version which fixed issues that could be changed, like the finish, framelines and shutter. I bought the m8 this year new for exactly these reasons, it seemed the right time to get it.

You have to bear in mind that people who have problems with a £3800 camera generally want to talk about it, and make up a lot of posts on this and other forums. What you don't get to hear is the silent majority. If things are working well then you don't tend to constantly tell people about it!

For the record, my m8 is great. Reliable, amazing IQ, no issues at all. I don't find the IR filters annoying, and it's not that they were a surprise anyway, as when I bought the m8 it came with 2 free and told me about them in the manual. As did the shop.

As for framelines? It's a rangefinder, move the framelines and you have a different compromise. I know Sean Reid likes the 8.2 lines, but as he is always quick to point out, that's his opinion and I'm sure other people would want them elsewhere. They've moved them again with the m9. Wherever you put the framelines is going to upset someone!

The m8 had a lot of issues on release, but I think it is now no more of a problem camera than a canon or nikon dslr. Incidentally all the people I have actually met with m8s have had no problems at all. I met a german guy the other day who had just been walking in the lakes in the rain with his m8 and had no problems. There are supposed to be 20000 m8s sold. I have only read a few hundred issues.

Consider your hand held. Now go forth and fill the forums with your experience so that others may find comfort. Or better still make some great pictures!

It's been almost two years since I've got my M8 and besides a trip to Solms for rangefinder registration (it was vertically misalligned) and brightlines upgrade, it has always worked perfectly without giving me a single problem. Banding at high Iso is mostly due to wrong exposure. I would listen to Marco, if I were you, don't worry about your beautiful camera and start taking pictures.

• Like 1

It's a gem piece of equipment, worth it's money. Don't compare it to the M9 (as you should not compare it to the bigger Canons / Nikons, etc.) You're worrying your pleasure away!

Marquinius is right.

If you do want to compare it just remember on the M8.2 you get a sapphire screen - NOT available on the M9.

Oh well ... stop worrying and start taking photos. It's a gem piece of equipment, worth it's money. Don't compare it to the M9 (as you should not compare it to the bigger Canons / Nikons, etc.) You're worrying your pleasure away!

Marco is right. Enjoy your camera and live your life in the present.

Most of the problems that you decribe have been sorted out now.

Your camera will take great pictures and there is every chance that it will behave exemplarily.

Mine did. Bought it more than two years ago, upgraded it, and it has been fine all the time.

That sapphire screen really sparkles :D

And also, do not worry: the M9 will have its share of problems too :eek:

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

Graham hit the key points squarely in post #4. I own two M8s and one M8.2 at this writing. The only extraordinary defect I've encountered is a power switch that powers the camera "on" in a sleep mode. (That was my first M8 and among the first batch of M8s.) Your M8.2 is a superb camera. I just spent nine hour with mine yesterday (and have not had any trouble with it in the year since I've owned it.)

As Marco said, don't worry. Just enjoy it and stay away from places like this.

I bought my M8 (not 8.2) used and never had a problem with it. I see the banding problem that everyone's talking about, but it shows up in less than 0.001% of the photos I take with it. I've never had shutter failures. Perhaps one time I had a DATA CARD ERROR or something like that, but resetting the camera (turning it off, then on) fixed it.

All the time you spent worrying about your purchase, you could be taking great pictures and impressing all your friends and us. You bought a great camera, now go out and use it!

I do not regret buying the M8.2, it is a superb camera and as others have said it has had most of the problems the M8 experienced corrected.

Using the filters does not bother me, not does the crop factor but I do like the top window to check battery status without removing camera too far from eye, the Saphire crystal screen is a superb addition for me as my previous DSLR's screen was scratched from contact with zips etc...........so far, not the slightest sign of marking on the M8.2 screen.

I also love the viewfinder frames and silent shutter mode - all in all a fantastic camera that produces amazing results so is definately a users camera............so, use and enjoy and do not covet the M9!

I do not regret buying the M8.2, it is a superb camera and as others have said it has had most of the problems the M8 experienced corrected.

Using the filters does not bother me, not does the crop factor but I do like the top window to check battery status without removing camera too far from eye, the Saphire crystal screen is a superb addition for me as my previous DSLR's screen was scratched from contact with zips etc...........so far, not the slightest sign of marking on the M8.2 screen.

I also love the viewfinder frames and silent shutter mode - all in all a fantastic camera that produces amazing results so is definately a users camera............so, use and enjoy and do not covet the M9!

Exactly.

There is nothing about the camera that prevents my taking better pics...only my own limitations.

Jeff