Images posted so far

arthury

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do you really feel about the M9 posted images you have seen so far?

Besides the FoV (due to he larger sensor), I am not impressed by the DR, tones and the sharpness. The ones I liked so far are the ones from Daivd F and he shot those from a pre-production camera.

I am on the edge of pulling myself out of the waiting list.

--

Arthur

Edited by arthury

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's some nice ones:

APhotoContributor: It's been a crazy week...

Haven't had time to finish my M9 page but it's a great camera. I have 3,000+ pictures waiting for edit and will have little time the next days as I'll be shooting a couple of thousands more.

It's great for what it does.

I think DR is good, sharpness is definitely good. Tones is up to you, I think many struggle to convert the RAW files properly still. Lightroom is not ready yet, C1 is new to many, and I think you always have trouble getting the right look of a new camera. The DMR was very disappointing for me in the beginning. But after a while I got the grip on the files in Lightroom and FlexColor. It's the same for M9.

Not that anybody will blame you for pulling out of the waiting list. Many will thank you for stepping one camera closer :-)

I think most of the shots posted to this forum have been quickly post processed to covert them to JPG's and resized for the forum and not much more.

They look to me just like M8 images only wider for any given focal length lens. Nothing wrong with that.

I really don't think you are going to get any better images from any other camera maker.

I think most of the shots posted to this forum have been quickly post processed to covert them to JPG's and resized for the forum

[...]

So, are you saying that non-Leica users in other forums using other brands know how to post-process their images more skillfully than the users in this forum?

Yours are pretty good ...

I think DR is good, sharpness is definitely good. Tones is up to you, I think many struggle to convert the RAW files properly still. Lightroom is not ready yet, C1 is new to many, and I think you always have trouble getting the right look of a new camera.

This is arguably true but if you were to turn to a D3X forum and compare the images when the camera was first released, the images are a couple of notches better than what we're seeing from the M9.

Read the last sentence of the message you're responding to. You might find your answer.

You mean this:

"I really don't think you are going to get any better images from any other camera maker."

?

You're kidding ... right? Or is this a faith and believer syndrome thing?

So, are you saying that non-Leica users in other forums using other brands know how to post-process their images more skillfully than the users in this forum?

Sorry but WTF is your problem. Go ahead and take that completely out of context and don't even think about the word Quickly.

No where did I even infer the members of this forum do not know how to PP digital images, not sure how you came to that conclusion, or that members of other forums that use other brands of digital cameras do PP better, again not sure how you came up with that.

In any event have a nice day.

Look at the images this guy makes with a variety of cameras: Boxed Light - Photography by Jim Radcliffe

You will likely come to the conclusion that it is the photographer, not the camera, who makes great images.

OK, I understand where you are coming from now ... let's put the artistic things aside for now ... I know that there are people out there who makes a living shooting a Holga.

Let's focus purely on the performance of the device alone ... scientifically from results.

This is arguably true but if you were to turn to a D3X forum and compare the images when the camera was first released, the images are a couple of notches better than what we're seeing from the M9.

I suggest if you own a Leica M8 to sell it and do not buy a M9, that will leave at least one camera for someone that knows how and likes to use it, then run to the nearest camera shop and buy the Nikon D3X. You'll be happier in the long run.

Have I seen some c**p out of the M9 on this forum? Yes. Have I seen equal c**p out of every other M camera ever made, on this forum? Yes.

The camera has been in users' hands for 6 days - it is unprofiled - it has some sensor differences from the M8, so anyone just adopting their M8 workflow/settings for the M9 files may be developing their "c-41" in "agfacolor" chemicals, so to speak.

There are also some posting users who can't - apparently - sharpen their way out of a paper bag. (I may even be one of them - figuring out what is appropriate to 80% more pixels, that are smaller in relationship to the whole image (I know they are the same absolute size) - will take a few trials)

I won't judge the M9 overall until I have profiled MY camera with MY ColorChecker in MY raw converter. I look forward to doing a head-to-head with my last M8 before it goes in trade (just for reference - the trade will go through as planned regardless).

If you can provide links to specific images and give specific critiques of what you see (or don't see) in them, then there is a basis for discussion. Otherwise, your original post is about like a 300 x 450 jpeg - in terms of useful information.

But by all means pull yourself off the waiting list if you feel uncomfortable - there are hundreds waiting in line behind you.

Edited by adan

OK, I understand where you are coming from now ... let's put the artistic things aside for now ... I know that there are people out there who makes a living shooting a Holga.

Let's focus purely on the performance of the device alone ... scientifically from results.

I didn't provide the link purely for the artistry of his work. It was also for the technical aspects. If one is adept at post processing, high image quality can be obtained even from point & shoot cameras. That was the point.

This actually raises another interesting question. I have often wondered if there are forum members who use their cameras primarily for the purpose of posting images here, and perhaps to another forum or two. If that is, indeed, the primary use for one's camera, then it's probably a waste to go from the M8 to the M9, because the differences won't be that noticeable on the web. But if the camera is being used for making large prints, or in some professional capacity to earn income, then certainly a move to the M9 would seem prudent.

Edited by fotografr