M8.2 Which SD cards

rknewcomb

Firmware release 2 (presently on the Leica Camera site: 2.004) and later permit the use of SDHC cards. No real capacity limit reported here untill now. The 4Gb Ultra II by Sandisk are really cheap now, and offer a good compromise for space and speed. Higher speeds cards offfer little advancement with the M8 and with higher capacity cards you only put so many more eggs in one basket :)

One big CAVEAT: when your M8 stiil has a firmware release < 2 on it, you can only load the new firmware with a non-SDHC card! And those, with a few exotic exceptions, are <2Gb.

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless you have a specific need for such high capacities, I wouldn't bother with buying a card greater than 8GB if I were you. The M8 frame counter only goes up to 999, and anything larger than 8GB will exceed that. Also, if anything goes awry with a very large capacity card, you risk losing more pictures. (Plus, super large cards are quite a bit more expensive.) :)

Must be fast. 130 x (or more) for SD or speed class 6 for SDHD.

I politely beg to differ: speed class 6 in SDHC is prescribed for video 720p on HD video enabled compacts and DSLR's.

For Leica M8 SDHC class 4 is ample enough. The excess money payed for class 6 is IMHO wasted: no video there and no real speed gain.

And Nicole gave a compelling reason not to go above 8Gb. I fully agree with her in that respect.

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

I have been using the Sandisk Extreme 3 8GB cards with my M8.2 since new - no problems at all and I get 604 images (Raw) on a reformatted card - I always reformat my cards after downloading images and before shooting fresh.