Solution for R users

zapp

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Current cameras with life view suffer from coarse electronic viewfinders with slow refresh rate that freeze during image recording. Contrast based AF is slower, too. Not really good enough for moving subjects.

To date, the opto-mechanical SLR finder (with phase detecting AF or manual focus) is still superior. But I expect this will change in the near future, leading to the death of the DSLR.

In principle, Leica could put the M9 innards into an R9, but the System would be as bulky and heavy as D 700 or EOS 5D, minus AF.

An M9.2 with life view might be the ultimately versatile tool, but still minus AF and even with manual stop-down operation. And I would wait for a sensor with reasonable life view capabiltities. i.e. much faster signal processing than today.

One of the strongest arguments for the M9 is its compatibility with 50 years of inventory of used M lenses. This puts the price into perspective, compared to an M8 or early DSLR buyer who had to buy wider lenses to compensate for the crop factor.

A Leica digital R should have AF integration into camera body, with focus by sensor movement rather than by lens movement. The Contax AX tried before, but had to also move film transport. Moving only sensor, shutter and SLR finder would make things easier, even more with life view and electronic viewfinder.

No live view in the M9. Add it and we can focus R lenses on the M.

btw we could focus ANY SLR lens on the M. The new Novoflex M4/3 adapters show the path.

Waiting for the M/R 10

A Visoflex-ish solution would be better, although I still live in hope the S2 might spawn a lower cost model with a suitable chip for R lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A Visoflex-ish solution would be better, although I still live in hope the S2 might spawn a lower cost model with a suitable chip for R lenses.

If you haven't viewed the Stephan Daniel video, I'd recommend it.

To paraphrase, Leica getting into the DSLR market would be like swimming with the sharks.

To paraphrase, Leica getting into the DSLR market would be like swimming with the sharks.

Still, I see no reason why Leica could not use ether or both of the ideas of Tim & Peter so that we could have a solution for existing owners of R lenses (without autofocus)

1- "A Visoflex-ish solution would be better"

2- "In principle, Leica could put the M9 innards into an R9, but the System would be as bulky and heavy as D 700 or EOS 5D, minus AF."

Edited by manolo

Agree.

Others here may have known this, but I was surprised to learn that the M8 and M9 share the R8 shutter (from the background voices, it seems David Farkas was also surprised).

Jeff

Im still thinking that one must be able to tear a M9 apart and stick the pieces in a DMR. :D since the M9 can handle longer lenses, there should be very little need for any changes to the system other than hotwiring it to interface with the R camera in the same ways the DMR did.

We can print a very sexy new DMR box on a 3D printer for say $100 ish, and if one could get Solms to ship the guts of a couple of M9, then I think a bit of soldering and a firmware hack would be all that's standing between us and a 18megapix DMR2.0

Business model, leica sells M9 guts with revised firmware to private company dedicated to assemble 1000 DMR 2.0 over the next 3 years. miss parts sourced from China, price $7000 as a M9. Company commits to purchasing x number of guts from Leica to amortize their firmware revision.

Well, if I was bored and had the startup capital that would me my DMR solution, personally Im much more interested in a DMM Digital Module M base plate job for M cameras, should be about the size of a M winder.

Critical issue here will be getting leica to provide M9 guts. the rest is not trivial but very doable.

Depends on the parameters. If Leica's ambition were to produce high-quality manual focus no-nonsense DSLR by grafting the M9 digistuff into an R9-like body, it would serve a limited niche market. The problem would be that it would require a restart of the R lens production for a very limited sales number.

The M8 using the R8 shutter is 3 year old news

As I said, others may have known this. But, thanks for rubbing my face in it. Since I've been on the forum for 6 months, maybe I should have read all of the old posts for the last 3 years. Nice moderating.

Jeff

PS Guess David Farkas didn't read all the "old news" here since he clearly didn't know that the M8 (and M9) shutters were the same, nor that they were "full frame" shutters from the R8. Listen to the very last comments on the 70 minute video. Guess I'm in good company being so naive.

Edited by Jeff S

OK - no need to be chopsy about it. I'm not "rubbing your face into it".

It was common knowledge when the M8 was released that the shutter is the same as the R8. I'm surprised that David Farkas didn't know this. Sorry, but I haven't sat through 70 minutes of interview with him to hear his comments, some of us have other things that we need to do with our lives.

AFAIK, the M8 shutter is different from the M9 shutter by way of the fact that the M8.2 and M9 shutters are "dry", the M8 shutter was not - hence the oil on the sensor problems that used to occur.

Edited by andybarton

Im still thinking that one must be able to tear a M9 apart and stick the pieces in a DMR. :D since the M9 can handle longer lenses, there should be very little need for any changes to the system other than hotwiring it to interface with the R camera in the same ways the DMR did.

The M9 can handle longer lenses because the firmware has a database of M lenses. You'd need a database of R lenses to use the M9's sensor/cover glass/microlens package otherwise you'll get funky corners.

The only solution Leica gave us was to sell our gear and buy into a different system. Just the truth.

I fully agree, Leica has stated that the R production has ceased, caput, fineto.

Simply putting it, you might as well REPLACE it, or RETIRE it, as it's REDUNDANT to Leica's needs.

Unless you're using Film like me with the R system as it was intended, you might as well try something

else.

Leica is run by business men not camera enthusiast if they were serious about the R solution they would have produced it some time ago.

There is more MONEY to be made in the M and S line.

Ken.

Unless you're using Film like me with the R system as it was intended, you might as well try something else.

Not really. I've been using my 50mm Summicron-R with an Olympus E-1, and now with a Canon 5D. It's not too bad... still has that Leica "look", I think.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant is that If you're not going to use your R lenses on film like me, you might as well try something else WITH YOUR R LENSES in the likes of other Digital manufactories, Canon Nikon Etc.

I hope that clears that up.

Ken.