How do you protect your Leica assets?

gDallasK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a second-hand M8 about 18 months ago and have enjoyed using it ever since. It arrived complete in the original packaging in as-new condition. The camera baseplate, however, was bare metal, unadorned by any labels.

I have now been fortunate enough to get my hands on one of the first M9s in the UK. The baseplate is covered by a clear plastic sheet under which is an ugly black label adorned with at least ten incomprehensible logos.

So what do I do, tear off the plastic cover and label leaving me with a "nude" baseplate like that of my M8? Or leave them in place, fearful of damaging the value of my "investment" in the M9?

I'm leaning toward the former option as I have a bit of a sticker phobia. I routinely remove any stickers from the cases of my CDs and one of the first things I do when I take delivery of a new car is to go through it from end to end and remove any sticker which is not an important warning labels.

And having bought a number of new Leica lense since buying my M8, I am fascinated and amazed by the leather cases supplied with them. They are beautifully made and the quality of the leather is superb. My leather cases are still in pristine condition, because they never made it out of the boxes they arrived in. I much prefer the Hama soft nylon drawstring padded bags I use to keep my lenses in because I can get the lens out of them much faster than I can if I have to fiddle with a zipped Leica bag. But I wonder how many other people actually keep their lenses in the Leica cases out in the field?

I keep it in the pouch when travelling only.

For the body, I use the Leica Protector.

For the screen, this :

Try this :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/98474-m8-new-screen-2.html#post1039636

I'm very happy with it, after trying some other solutions.

And I never removed the baseplate plastic cover.

Welcome to the M9.

Johan

No, definitely leave the plastic base liner place and forget the CE/safe disposal/etc logos – they are on my M8 too, purchased new. Actually the film goes over the label and after time there's a slight bubble edge around it, I can see. Anyway it will prevent marking if you should ever tripod mount the camera. My broad Gitzo screw flange has left a 'tyre mark' in the plastic.

I bought a traditional Hadley bag at great cost but, frankly, when I go out I tend to place the camera in a towel wrapping inside a stout plastic shopping carrier, which is lighter and of course inconspicuous! (My fear is not of incomprehensible logos so much as someone trying to wrest the Leica away from me in Camden Town.) I only use one lens per session BTW. I do suggest examining the Artisan & Artist carrying straps as the Leica one is woeful. So far – dare I say – my review screen is pristine. No protective layer but it's shame one's nose gets pressed on it whilst shooting, so a constant clean with kitchen paper damped with Ecover washing-up liquid is the order of the day!

Edited by microview

Is anyone able to say if the ACMAXX 2.5” for M8 is the same dimension as the M9 screen - I seem to remember a comment that there was a marginal difference between M9 and M8... Having appreciated the sapphire on M8.2 and M8u, I'm thinking about protecting the M9 screen...

Chris, one of the eBay sellers gives the following information:

*Important Note *

Product Size: 2.14inch X 1.71inch (5.45mm X 4.35mm)

Visible Area Size: 2.0inch X 1.57inch (5.10mm X 4.00mm) .... these mm dimensions should be x10

I notice the Leica protectors are about 3x the price of larger Canikon ones. Par for the course I guess.

ETA: The M8, M8u sapphire and M9 appear to have the same size aperture into which the screen fits. However the sapphire screen is thinner than the others and doesn't have such a pronounced bevel on it's edges. As a consequence it's flat area is slightly larger. A problem I found with film protectors is if they overhang the beveled area the edge catches on your fingers and can lift. It's better to have the protector slightly small so there's no overhang.

Based on the dimensions above it looks as if the ACMAXX protector will overhang the M9's bevel slightly, since it's thick polycarbonate it shouldn't lift. I'm going to order one.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

Your M9 is a camera not an investment. Take the stickers off if they bother you and get out and use the thing.

The first thing I do with any new M camera is remove the plastic cover on the baseplate and all of those stickers. I find them ugly.

I suppose the baseplate is likely to get worn faster than other parts of the camera, but in my experience the edges of the baseplate get worn first and they will get worn even with the plastic cover. Also, with the black paint finish, I'm sure your camera will get brassed unless you leave it on a shelf somewhere unused.

The only thing on the camera I do protect is the screen, since scratches there can be annoying and distracting when viewing. I've been using the hoodman brand protectors that need to be cut to size, which is a pain. They did the job though, when I went to sell my M8s the screens were still perfect.

I'd like to hear experiences with other protectors on the M9 as I plan to use some sort of screen protector. Not that I've been able to get any M9s yet:(

As for lenses, I do use the leather cases at home when my less frequently used lenses are in storage. For travel I wrap them in Domke lenswraps, often two or three in one wrap stored end-to-end. That way when I need to remove my gear for security checks, I have two or three wrapped cameras and two wrapped packs of lenses.

When I'm actually shooting, I mostly bring two bodies and two lenses so no need for cases or wraps. And I do protect my lenses with B+W brand multicoated UV filters.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your M9 is a camera not an investment.

Thanks for your thoughts Noah. I had the screen cover on my M8 replaced with a sapphire panel after I fell into a river with it. Fortunately I managed to keep the M8 out of the water but in doing so smashed the panel on a rock. I'm going to miss that sapphire cover on my M9 though. I never gave a thought to scratching it after it was fitted.

I was deeply struck by your portfolio - powerful and moving imagery.

Geoff

Edited by gDallasK
Typo

Your M9 is a camera not an investment. Take the stickers off if they bother you and get out and use the thing.

I agree with the first statement, no digital camera is any real investment other then a image making instrument. But for the base plate I have left the plastic on one of them, the one I sold and the second one I bought originally, and had taken it off the the other. But I also use the grip base so that original base plate sits in the box.

So I suggest you find a used grip base, on eBay for around $125-$175 depending on the condition and who is bidding on it (the grip base for the M8, M8.2 and M9 are all the same except for the color and the cover material), and store your original base in the original camera box, leaving the plastic cover on it.

My basic asset protection is a Luigi Crescenzi half-case for the body. This protects the entire rear of the camera too. There is a rear flap to open when you need to change the ISO or check a histogram (funny, I never did that when I shot Kodachrome I.) The posh compartments of my Billingham Hadley protect my extra lenses. When I wear my winter parka, I can keep an extra lens in a soft pouch in a pocket, and carry the camera in a Crescenzi full eveready case. I do very seldom go out with more than one extra lens. Often one body plus one lens is enough.

The old man from the Age of Eveready Cases

Edited by lars_bergquist

Thanks for your thoughts Noah. I had the screen cover on my M8 replaced with a sapphire panel after I fell into a river with it. Fortunately I managed to keep the M8 out of the water but in doing so smashed the panel on a rock. I'm going to miss that sapphire cover on my M9 though. I never gave a thought to scratching it after it was fitted.

I was deeply struck by your portfolio - powerful and moving imagery.

Geoff

Thanks. I'll have more work up soon, I recently redid my websites and have yet to re-post all of my projects.

I guess if I'm obsessive about any part of my cameras it's the screen, I hate scratched LCDs. Right now I have a loaner M8.2 and the screen seems tough, I haven't scratched it yet:D.

I figure Leica will offer an upgrade to the sapphire screen at some point, so I may just forget about using screen protectors figuring I'l get my M9s upgraded later.

Or I may try an iphone protector--I recently got a 'crystal film set' at the Apple store, I think the brand is Power Support. It's a slightly thicker, more stiff plastic but still flexible. It went on my iphone with no air bubbles and has stayed on for a few months with no problems. It will have to be cut down of course, but I may give it a try.

I do remove the stickers and do not greatly care if the camera shows some marks of use; after all, I use it. But I found it very practical to stick four little self-adhesive rubber "feet" of about 1mm thick on the baseplate. They protect it somewhat from scuffs and are prevent the camera from slipping off the table.

Hee hee - this all reminds me of those folks who put covers on their leather car upholstery to 'protect it' or sofa covers of the past ...

Personally I leave the plastic cover & decals on the bottom of the base plate and live with the fact that it'll get worn. If I was really bothered about 'authenticity' and true LNIB for sales purposes then I'd just use a grip base (which I do) or buy a second base plate (very sad).

As said, it's a camera not a collectable for the cupboard so just use it and accept that at some point there will be some wear & tear.

the best form of protection is you!, how you handle and your awareness of possible sources that can damage the camera. The most important thing is not to get too anal about it that it destracts you from why you bought it in the first place....to take pictures.

I used mine bare, in a luigi case, thrown into a billingham bag, sometimes even stuffed into a pocket all without harm. Ask anyone who bought my kit, it was used but perfect.

Enjoy your new camera, I presume it came with passport warranty so you relax, 2 years of risk free usage:D

I depend upon insurance and good sense (now, there's a hopeful guy -- my assistant doesn't always display good sense).

Outside wear is different from beating up the camera. I don't submerge them, bang them, or drop them. When they are not is use they are in really ugly, cheap-looking-but-sturdy bags. This is a good theft deterrent.

If you don't put your camera down, it 's harder to steal.

'Course, I don't have an M9, yet.